B&W Nautilus 802

arthurs

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I even compared the 802 with the amazing 801's.The 801 has all the mid and upper frequency finesse plus bass impact of large Klipsch speakers!Yes sir the larger Nautilus series with proper amplification are a thing of beauty,both in the sound and built quality departament.

Side by side I still prefer my Dynaudio Contour 3.3's to the 802's.Its a close call but the boxy and ordinary looking Dynes still take the crown IMHO.

Your B&K has the goods to drive even the power humgry Totem ManiTwo to quite realsitic levels.Its a given it will begin to spit its transistors and clip if you need concert levels.

A modest Celeste 4070(70W into 8Ohms and 140W into 4 Ohms)is capable of good output matched with the Contour 1.1(around 86dB 1W/1M).So with larger Dynes or the B&W Nautilus no doubt you will get at least 6dB more.

With RF7's I was never able to send even a Celste 4050 integrated into audible clipping.

when i did my auditioning for my b&w i did so on 802's, so dont worry, the b&k will simple make the 802' stand up and perform, i am an b&w fan except for the price, and when i do head to head, if i can i do it at listen up in denver, the have a pretty good assortment of b&w on display. but i have to ask, did you audition the 800's? for just a few dollars more 4000, you could pick up a pair of these, they are without doubt the kings in the b&w line.i auditioned them on mark levinson gear, and it was simply amayzing, my son and i listened to some diana krall and we were speachless, imaging was perfect, i swore she was there with us, it was very much more than the 802's, give em a listen, i just suggest because if you have money for 802's, well you know...... lucky dog12.gif

arthurs,

BTW did you ever consider to audition the Avaon Eidolon or Egglestonworks Andra II? Ah if you ever do you are in for a treat,the Eidolon upper frequency resolution is SECOND TO NONE.The amazing(and I mean AMAZING)detail and resolution will blow even Wilson WATT PUPPY fans away.

My next step up from the Contour 3.3's will have to be the Andra II or Eidolon Diamond(the price makes me sick a bit).The Diamond has by far the most expensive driver found in any speakers sold,the diamond coated wonder made by Accuton the D2 20/6.

Each tweeter costs close to three grand.No way these will be found in budget kits.

1.gif

KEF...nah I would rather get B&W 802's.Not KEF does not make great speakers but you will need to fork serious money for the best KEF.And I think for about the same expense you can get 801's. Oh 801's AH now you are talking the best qualities of the Nautilus line plus Klipsch like impact. 1.gif

Dual RSW15's huh,good choice.If one day you want an upgrade is a similar sized package check out dual Revel B15's they will knock the fillings in the listeners teeth out.

I remember going to a showroom where the dealers had 2 B&W speakers (I don't recall their model number, but they are HUGE, with very large horns enclosed in those bowling-ball type things at the top) that retailed for $20,000 a pair. They were connected to what, from what I remember, looked like a Rotel amp. It was a beast of an amp.

They did not sound spectacular. Good, yes. But $20,000? Oh HELL NO.

you sound like you thought the same as me nicholtl. you are describing the Nautilus 800's and most likely a krell amp as I doubt any store with knowledgeable employees would ever run a rotel amp with BW speakers. while these are good speakers, they're just too flat sounding for me. if they were 2 grand I'd consider them, because thats all they sound to me, but deffinatly not 20.

"Can get into some KEF 205's for around $7K. You'd take the 802's over that EAR?"

I would get the 802's,but its YOUR money and YOUR ears here.Go and listen to both then decide

Know proper match is key to extracting the most,802's well matched and properly placed in a good size room sound fantastic.I would get a Mark Levinson or a Krellpower amp and match these with a Audio Research tube preamp...ha the sound will floor anyone.Unless they have defective hearing aids or/and pierced ear drums.

1.gif

But initially I'm good with the B&K gear I have right? My wallet will take a few months to get over the move to the B&W's, so that's my main concern. After listening to KEF yesterday, I agree, they just aren't as stout as the 802's or the 801's.

I have a line on some 1 year old 801's in great shape for a great price, going to listen to them tomorrow.

Ever since I first heard them, I have been a fan of B&W speakers. At one point, it was my impression that they were the best there was. However, when I finally got some Klipsch Heritage, and finally started mating them with good electronics, those B&W's started impressing me less and less. They still sounded good, but suddenly, the sound was better at home than it was at the store. I have heard most of the B&W line over the years. My favorite was the 7' tall Matrix 800's (at least I think that was the model number). When the new Nautilus 801's came out, the dealer said they were better than anything B&W had ever made, including the Matrix 800's. Maybe they were, and maybe the Matrix 800's weren't as good as my memory tells me they were, but I was not impressed with the Nautilus 801's. Personally, I would not trade my Klipschorns straight up for the B&W's. The Khorn, with quality electronics, wins this contest as far as my tastes are concerned. Of course Khorns are not for everybody. I love live music, so Khorns are ideal for that type of reproduction, but not everyone likes live music. For those that don't, there are other speaker better suited to their tastes.

Regarding the KEF, here's a little story I always find interesting. About a year ago, my girlfriend and I were at Ultimate Electronics. They had a pair of KEF's set up driven by Krell amps. I don't know what model they were, but the price was $15k per pair. My girlfriend, who is not an audiophile by any means, and would not say something without meaning it, was suprised that a speaker that expensive, could sound so unimpressive! Of course, she is well familiar with the Klipschorn sound as she has allowed me to setup my Khorns at her house. Maybe it just had to do with her new reference point! Know that it is generally regarded that females have better hearing than males.

Gla dto hear you're happy with you KHorns JMON. I agree with you on the KEF, I was unimpressed. Not so on the 801 and 802. I love my Klipsch, and I still may move them into another room, barring a good offer. But, you know how it is, man gets somethin in his head he's gotta do, sometimes he needs to go do it to get it out of his head. This is now me with the 801 or 802, whichever I can work the best deal on.