RF-35 vs. RF-5

stud21

Which one is a better buy? The only difference I can see between the two speakers is that one has a 6 inch tweeter and the other has a 8 inch tweeter. Is there a big difference between the two in performance and would I be able to tell?

Haha, yes you are quite bias. Actually, if you've looked closely the RF-5s are taller by .6 inches, but the RF-35's are wider and deeper. So they are bigger.

As for their sound, you REALLY have to test them both because they sound incredibly different. I personally auditioned them at a local Goodguys when I was deciding what to go with for my center surrounds. The RF-5's KILLED the RF-3's, hands down.

HOWEVER, having said that, the RF-35's were a different ballgame. Their soundstage is enormous, their clarity and transparency are crystal clear with no coloration, and were much fuller than the RF-5's. Alot can be said for Klipsch's new line of reference speakers. I do not mean to sound harsh, but to me, the RF-5's sounded tinny, hollow, and lacking richness compared to the 35s.

Manga Boy,

"I do not mean to sound harsh, but to me, the RF-5's sounded tinny, hollow, and lacking richness compared to the 35s."

I will test the new RF35's and I cannot wait to hear what you describe,if I fail to hear ANY of the BIG positive points I am getting the chainsaw and sparks will fly.

• 18 years later...
On 8/5/2003 at 6:59 AM, nicholtl said:

Haha, yes you are quite bias. Actually, if you've looked closely the RF-5s are taller by .6 inches, but the RF-35's are wider and deeper. So they are bigger.

As for their sound, you REALLY have to test them both because they sound incredibly different. I personally auditioned them at a local Goodguys when I was deciding what to go with for my center surrounds. The RF-5's KILLED the RF-3's, hands down.

HOWEVER, having said that, the RF-35's were a different ballgame. Their soundstage is enormous, their clarity and transparency are crystal clear with no coloration, and were much fuller than the RF-5's. Alot can be said for Klipsch's new line of reference speakers. I do not mean to sound harsh, but to me, the RF-5's sounded tinny, hollow, and lacking richness compared to the 35s.

Have you potentially heard the RP3s and how they would compare?

On 4/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, Lezliemackerel said:

Have you potentially heard the RP3s and how they would compare?

18 years later.. been almost 10 years since @nicholtl has checked in. It is surprising to me to read he preferred the 35's over the 5's. I've owned quite a few pairs of RF-3's, RF-5's, RB-5's and RB-35's but never the RF-35's.