Have THX or not to have THX, that is the question!

dPhoenix

Alrighty now!

I am looking at receivers, for example:

Yamaha RX-Z1, Yamaha's flagship, w/o THX - MSRP $2,799.00

Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX, Pioneer's similiarly priced, w/ THX - $3,000.00

Now my question is which is better? Specs are similar, trust me when I say this, only to my untrained eye, as far as I can see. I do not plan on buying a $3000.00 receiver yet, maybe a $1k to $1.5K, but I was using the Yamaha RX-Z1 as a benchmark and I noticed that other brands are THX compatible. So, what is the deal with THX!

Also looking for advice on which receiver to buy at the $1k to $1.5K range and should I be concerned about an AMP and how to utilize it. I plan on using the the Klipsch Reference 7 series for speakers.

Thanx for any input!

I wouldn't necessarily say it's worthless, but it's certainly not all it's cracked up to be. I like it because I enjoy the thx surround sound modes it offers, plus the set of testing it supposedly has to go through to meet sonic criteria. THX is a very controversial topic, apparently.

The RZ-X1 is a fantastic receiver, and Yamaha is an excellent brand. Bruinsme is correct also in pointing out the 2 new pioneer elite receivers that have just been released...I own both a Yamaha VX595a and a Pioneer Elite 45TX and can tell you that both sound awesome. The yamaha is a little brighter, whereas the pioneer is more neutral.

As for the use of additional amps, unless you really need to power a large room, I'd say they aren't necessary right now. Are you planning on going into separates soon? If anything, maybe use the money to getting a 2-2.5K receiver.

Also, consider Denon. The AVR-3803 is in your 1-1.5K range.

THX is very polarizing indeed.

I have a Pioneer VSX-45TX which is THX select certified and also has a THX cinema mode. I have to admit for some movies, I like the THX mode better then either DTS or Dolby Digital. Its because on the pioneer, the AVR seems to add some delay or some echo to make the sound feel like its in a larger room, creating a feel of larger soundspace. Some movies, however, Dolby Digital or DTS seems better because the movie fits in the small room feel. Usually movies that are comedies or has alot of dialogue feels and sounds better without the THX mode. Anyways, thats my $.02.

James

THX is a certification not a sound format like Dolby Digital and DTS. You don't need to have THX to use or view anything specific. Products with the THX logo have been certified as having meet the criteria put out by good ol' Lucasfilm. Go to the site for more info. http://www.thx.com/

I think that once a product has been deamed THX quality by this ONE organization the manufacturer increases it sale price and bases this soley on the cert. I am not arguing that any products with the THX certification are better or worse than their competitors, but you can get similar products without the certification at a much lower price.

I have a Yamaha NON-THX receiver and I absolutely love it. I would upgrade to the RX-Z1 in a minute even without the THX cert. As many people have said, the THX or lack of THX certification is a huge discussion. I personally don't put much stock into it.

Do your research and buy the product with the features and sound you want. Don't worry about the certification (IMO)

Pathos

In talking with people and forming my opinion, THX certification is an idea who's time has passed. Home theater is in a much better state now than it was in the days of the first generation Pro Logic. Now that we have digital sound with 5 or more discrete channels of audio that is equalized in the studio and targetted at a DVD based home system I don't think THX certification is worth extra $$. The manufacturer pays a royalty to THX and you pay the manufacturer for that royalty.

Pathos I think you are mistaken! Agreed THX is a standard of measurement used an applied to certain pieces of equipment, but it is also a playback format! My Denon receiver can playback in THX 5.1 in addition to DD 5.1 & 6.1, DTS & DTS ES. A few Disney movies that I have are THX 5.1 encoded not that you can here any major differences between the two it is indeed a format.

whether you want thx or not, in my opinion th finest piece of equipment you can buy in an integrated is the b&k avr-507. i have the preamp version (ref 50) and i am more pleased with my purchase each day that passes. i only wish i would have discovered it sooner and saved a bunch of money being unsatisfied!

IMO THX post processing is an excellent feature to have, but is not an absolute requirement. It is nice to use or not use to get the best sound. Manufacturers of non-THX certifed gear tend to use their own proprietay post processing as a substitute.

If I were to go looking for a receiver under $1,500, I would go for the Pioneer VSX-55TXi or the VSX-53TX. Both are select certified and have MCACC. The 55TXi has i.Link that is great for listening to multi-channel high resolution music IMO.

Bill

dPhoenix,

If you like the Yamaha RX-ZI but do not want to pay that price then consider the Yamaha RX-V3300 which has the same amps but not as many DAC's. It can be had for around $1,200. I cannot tell what THX has, or has not done for me. My second system has an Onkyo TX DS 797 that is THX certified, and the RX-v3300 blows it out of the water.

Would I rather have it, yes. But after knowing what I know now I would never base my purchase decision solely on THX as it stands now.

Unless all your equipment, DVD, reciever, amp, whatever, and especially your speakers with dual 15" subs is THX certified, your system will be compromised, according to George Lucas. I do not have anything THX, but have wondered if a piece of gear from any given company would "pass the test" without paying the royalties for THX certification? My system sounds good to me, and is only Pro-logic, although many say Pro-logic II has noticable sound improvement. I'm currently running a Yamaha RXV-2090, Pioneer DV-C302D DVD, Heresy II mains, KV-3 center, Velodyne FSR-12 and some cheap 8" 2 way in-wall rears. For what it's worth, I would buy the best non-THX reciever that fits your bill.