New reference purchase questions?

Psylocke

I just upgraded my Synergy SB-2, SC-1 & SS-1's to the RB-25, RC-25 & RS-25's.

The sound difference is amazing but I am finding that my center channel is overpowered by the RB-25s'. Also I am finding that vocals in some movies tend to sound a bit hollow or echoing. Am I inmaging this or am I just hearing the center information the way it shoud sound with more efficient speakers? I had already exchagne the RC-25 for another one and I get the same result.

I am wondering if the speaker just has to be broken in first.

I also added 2 inwall SCW-1s' for my back surround channels in case any one is interested.

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

Dumb question but it has to be asked:

How do you have your speakers set, large or small? Have you adjusted the volume and distance? Lots of settings on your reciever that can highly alter the sound of your center or any other speaker in your setup as you probably know already.

I didn't need a break-in period for good sound although it helped a little.

I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX receiver. THe receiver auto calibrates the speakers for me. With the synergy series speakers it always set all speakers to large (which I tehn set back to small). Now with my new reference line everything gets set to large except the center, it sets it to small.

I always double check distance and channel levels myself after calibration.

I also forgot to mention that I know can always notice that the dialogue is coming from the center ontop of my TV (it sounds more localized then before). With the SC-1 you could not tell it was coming from ontop of the TV. It was more blended with the fronts (smoother transition between the 3 fronts).

On the 49txi I have used both MCACC and my spl meter method. To me the MCACC sets the speaker levels a little to the low side.

Under the manual set up I select the front and center to large and (not sure if you have this) sub woofer to plus.

I have to run but Mrmagoo on this forum has the 49txi and is far more knowledgable than I am on the cal method.

Sorry I will try to repost this evening.

feel free to email with questions and I will try to help

I just watched a full movie with my new reference line and again the hollow sounding center was driving me nuts. I cannot accept that this is what the center is suppose to sound like on the RC-25.

Does anybody have any recommendations on what I shoud do? I want my normal sounding center back but with my new reference RC-25.

Should I maybe try the RC-35 instead and then match them with the RS-35. Would these match O.K with my RB-25s' or would they over power them?

8.gif8.gif8.gif8.gif

Have you tried setting the center to large? That way it won't roll off to the other speakers as quickly. Maybe trying the 35 will help although the 25 should be the perfect match. I would also jack up the volume on the center no matter what the pioneer sets it to. Unhook it and try a phantom center and see what it sounds like. Not a solution but....

Sounds like you've probably tried everything at this point though. Good luck. I hope someone here can help.

Psylocke,

I suspect that relections form the top of your TV or stand may be causing the hollow (reverb) sound. The center should be as far foward as possible on the TV or stand. The speaker should be angled toward your ears. The RC-7 comes with adjustable feet to set the angle.

Let us know if this helps.

Bill

I agree with Bill reflections may be killing ypou as they are me. The MCACC is only so good and probably not be able to compensate for the reflections.

My problem is of many.

I have a support beam about 6 inches from the left hand side of the rf7.

also there is about 5.5 feet from the back of the rc7 to the wall (hope to fix with a heavy curtain.

Brick fire place off to the left

and stairs off to the right. (thinking of installing curtain there too.)

One of these days I am gong to use the preamp for the front, run it thru an equalizer and external amp and see what comes of it.

something I haven't tried myself but placing the rc25 on the floor and angling it upward.

I have the speaker as far possible forward on the set. Any farthur and it would fall off. The angle has been adjusted with a laser poitner to accuratly point it to the sweet spot on the love seat at the back wall.

I would like to try palcing it on the floor on a stand but I do not think it would be a good idea since my 7 month old son has just begun crawling and I want the speaker as far away from him as possible.

The pioneer used to set the SC-1 to large so it bothers me that it would set the RC-25 to small.

It just bothers me that the SC-1 gave me no quirks like this and it is the lower end model. You do not upgrade to the better line to run into tweeking problems.

I also do not like the foot provided with the angle adjustment screw. With the weight of the center I feel that adjustment foot will either dent the RPTV cabinet or eventually poke a hole in it.

I talke to my dealer and when he gets more stock this week of RC-25s and 35s he will lend me whatever I want to test.

I like the Idea of all of the speakers having the same size driver (6-1/2") but I do not want the center to overpower the fronts.

It is interesting thought that the previous reference line suggested matching the RB-3II (6-1/2") with the RC-3II (dual 6-1/2") and the RS-3 (6-1/2"). Why would they then recoomend differently with the updated reference line?

5.gif5.gif5.gif5.gif5.gif

I'm planning on picking up some Klipsch Reference series speakers along with a RC-25 next week. Now that I've heard this, I'm a little concerned. I plan on putting the center channel in my entertainment center under the TV. Should this problem that two people said they have be a big concern for me? And, should I consider another center channel instead of the RC-25?

from what i have read - your posts and others - many have been having trouble with the rc-25.

either they were dissatisfied with the sound - or it distorted rather quickly.

and, from what i read, most upgraded to the rc-35 from the 25 as a result, and have had no problems since.

is it possible that it is an inherent problem with the rc-25 - perhaps, it is just not up to par with the reference label?

Seeing how the front center speaker in any HT is the most important, I, too, would suggest going either up in the line or setting it to large. Let us know what you think and hear after trying this out too.

I have heard the RC-35 center and it does sound great!! You might be more pleased with a bigger sound from it.