New reference purchase questions?

Psylocke

I checked the new RC range. The only real center speaker left is the RC-7.

The other ones (RC-25, RC-35) have strange design. The drivers are fixed to the motorboard which is fixed with screws. Is this easier to assamble or to fix if one of the drivers fails. Anyway it doesn't look right.

Also the openings on the sides (bass-reflex???)have a strange form.

I think those are to be blamed of the hollow sound. It seems that klipsch opted for looks above soundquality.

This new design is present in all reference speakers except for the R?-7's

and RF-5's. I should first check them out (when they are at my local dealer)

but I have some serious questions about this design.

I just bought an RX3 set that was supposed to come with RF3II's RS3II's and an RC35. The dealer commented that he really didn't like the RC35 and recommended using an RC3II instead, so I went along with him. I love the system! The RC3II is still widely available, so I wonder if that wouldn't be a good replacement for the RC25?

Just a thought.

Jim

If you have a sub, set fronts, center and rears to small. Then if you still have trouble hearing dialog, increase the center volume relative to the fronts. Also go into your receiver menue and experiment by reducing the dynamic range from max to normal or whatever is less than the present setting.. Most receivers have this control by that name or a similar one.Most people with your complaint (including myself) mainly complain during dvd movies or other high quality programming where there is big dynamic range in the programming.If normal cable tv movies and music cds are ok, chances are the foregoing will solve the problem and the speakers and room accoustics are not the problem.

I think the problem Pyslocke is having is with the MCACC center channel equalization. I spent a better part of a day tweakingon the equalizer and it sounds much better, though not perfect. The pioneer receivers have great features but if you are not familar with them, it can be frustrating.

scott

i believe the 45tx has a 5 band equalizer. I player with all the freqs on the 49tx1

I am not sure of the freqs but in a laymans experiences here is what i think I learned

63 hz deep bass brings out the thump in the woofers

125 hz and 250hz seems to be most of your usable listening bass, doors shutting things like that.

500hz a mix between books dropping on a table to the lower octaves of the voice

1Hhz mainly voice

2khz again a lot of voice and some lower trebles like a pencil tapping on a table or a moracca

4khz and up now we are getting to where the tinniness is coming.

my eq curve looks like a V.

i picked a movie with a lot of dialoge from the same actor or actress and listened and listened then adjusted a little at a time. It was frustrating and time consuming but it sounds a hellava lot better. I still want to tweak in a little more treble with out introducing the tinny sound.

keep asking the questions.

scott

I am considering changing my VSX-45TX to an Integra 7.3 receiver. Would this be a good idea with my new reference set or not. I would like to do it if it improves the sound quality in movies and music. I might consider the Integra 8.3 but the price difference is to much.

Has anybody had experience comparing Integra to Pioneer Elite with Klipsch reference series. I just want to have the best possible sound with my new speakers when dealing with movies or music.

1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

Those receivers are already overkill for your speakers.

Going to the integra won't solve your problem.

Playing with the MCACC won't solve either. You should measure the room response. Then you can change some frequencies with peaks based on the measured room response. But this all means manipulation of the original source which always get to less sound quality. (I don't know why they throw it in. It is the same with the bass/trebble. Don't use them)

You can always try to connect one of your RB-25 as center channel and see if it is better. Then you know it isn't your receiver.

Maybe buy an extra RB-25 as center channel. Perfect match.

I disagree Usparc. Learning how to use the MCACC last week my system sounds much much better. I discovered the pioneer was way move advanced for my level of audio comprehension.

My room is oddly arrange and the MCACC doesn't stand a chance with my center channel. But after learning how the feature works the receiver is sounding incredibly better.

I had an Onkyo DS797 with the klipsch and it sounded awful. probably due to the way is wasn't set up properly. It take s time, learning and understanding to make these complicated receivers sound good in adverse environments.

just my experience

scott

Ok, MCACC can help in some worse situation. It is still better to treat the room and not the sound to flatten out those peaks. Besides the pioneer has only 5 frequencies to manipulate. That is way to few to correct all the peaks in the room response. Did you measure your room response?? You will be surprised, specially in the lower frequency range 20-500Hz.

I have to admit that I don't have any experience with MCACC in those receivers. Maybe they can do a pretty good job but it still is manipulating sound.

The 49tx and txi have 9 band equalizers for each of the 7 channels. I agree with treating the room, But if the room remains untreated a 4k signal from an Onkyo is still going to reflected the same as a 4k signal from a pioneer, Integra, Outlaw and so on.

I blamed my onkyo and the pioneer but in the end it came down to lack of knowledge on my behalf and an acoustically challenged room.

Scott

Just a thought, I had the same problem with my new RC-3 ... Discovered that the brass binding strap was missing from the back/binding posts. Went back to the shop and got them, put 'em in place, problem went away. This solution might be over-simplified, but worth checking ... Good luck.

I had checked the brass binding post as well and they are fine.

I might also consider getting a 47TX since they are going to be discontinued soon. Would the 130w/channel be too much power for my speakers?

RB-25 rated at 75w

RC-25 rated at 125w

RS-25 rated at 75w

SCW-1 rated at 50w

Also no one has any info regarding using the inegra line with klipsch reference instead of the pioneer as for as sound quality for music/movies goes.