Axiom Speakers?

JasN00b

I would try to audition them, as speakers are a very personal thing. What sounds great to one person will be only average to the next.

I have never heard the M3Ti as well as most of Axioms recent models... but the ones I have heard were somewhat typical Canadian/Ontario speakers based on Floyd's (sp?) psychoacoustics NRC research. They used to compare well to similarly priced units from Athena, Paradigm, Energy, PSB, etc...

Obviously the higher priced units from PSB, Paradigm, and Energy had an edge... but cost more as well.

Anyone else more up to date?

Rob

Hey..... I just bought the M3Tis last week.

I was debating between the Klipsch RB25/35s and the Axioms..... I wanted to setup a 6.1 arrangement with identical bookshelfs and an SVS....

I've read all the reviews and looked at the sound graphs; The Axioms have a very flat response accross the board (between about 90hz and 18khz)... Before they start to roll off at their respective driver limits.... I personally think they blend GREAT with my SVS. Very tight, accurate, loud speakers... Not as effecient as the Klipsch Reference Horns but I would say more neutral sounding and accurate(judging by the older reference as its impossible for me to demo any of the new ones); And my 100WPC amp pushes them plenty loud (read - uncomfortably loud) before it runs out of juice!

Unfortunately I had trouble demoing the Klipsch Reference because they are no longer carried by ANY of the local stores..... Best Buy, Tweeter, Bernies, Circuit City, Sears, etcetc.... And I could not find a single review of the new bookshelfs on any of the hometheater sites..... All this irritated me quite a bit. I used to be a Klipsch fanboy after all (even had the jacket!)

The Klipsch also cost quite a bit more.... Especially when you add in the shipping. (Because if you are like me you would have to have them shipped to you) Axiom ships them 2 day fedex international FREE! And if you don't like them you can always send them back within the 30 day trial period. I got them thru Amie@axiomaudio.com she got me factory outlet ones; mint condition! not a scratch!! with a considerable discount....even switched out the tan grills to black for me!

Overall I was very impressed with the company and the product.... These speakers kick ***! So does the SVS btw 2.gif

post-12945-13819248753632_thumb.jpg

okay, that last review sold me on a trial period... everybody seems to really enjoy/recommend them, and for 275 a pair, how could i say no 0_0

i'm going to order them, and then i'll see for myself :)

if i dont like them, i'll just return them.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, Those kevlar cones are power hungry..... Doubt my 100wpc amp would be able to deliver 8.gif

Probably have a damn nice sound if you've got the power... Though I do wonder how much better sounding they can be than the Axioms... Looking at the frequency charts I'd say they have a much better bass response, but then my SVS takes over at 100hz anyhow, heh. So for me the only diff would be in clarity.... And I gotta say the Axioms are pretty damn clean sounding speakers.

I look forward to hearing about them.

"Those kevlar cones are power hungry..... Doubt my 100wpc amp would be able to deliver"

A kevlar cone cannot be power hungry. LOL

And any half descent power amp rated at 50W RMS per channel can drive most B&W's to solid output levels.Unless its a $99 receiver with a 1lb transformer and 5000uF total capacitor value desguised with a 400WATTS STICKER.

1.gif

I use a 50W PC Celeste 4050i to drive Totem,Dynaudio and Monitor Audio speakers to loud levels.B&W are no harder to drive then Totem or Dynaudio.

OK FIRST OFF - You are an arrogant mofo(TheEAR). Just because you have an esoteric hobby doesn't mean you are gods gift to enthusiasts. You are sitting in a thrown you special ordered right now aren't you?!?

SECOND - I was not bashing the speakers;

There are numerous advantages of kevlar cones in the lower frequencies...

I was simply stating that kevlar cones are generally less effeciant than most other materials of similar rigidness (more specifically aluminum).

Kevlar is heavier than most other materials used in cones which would make for a less effeciant driver.... I have plenty of evidence to back me up.

http://www.aluminumspeakers.com/whyaluminum.shtml

http://www.birotechnology.com/FAQ/conemat.html

If you want more feel free to search yourself.

I am sure the speakers sound great, a world renowned company like this wouldn't make some kludge loudspeaker. But THEY ARE less effeciant(88db@1w/1m) than similar Klipsch or Axiom bookshelfs....

"Weaknesses:

Absolutely none other than they are hungry for power. Feed them!"

http://www.audioreview.com/Bookshelf,Speakers/B&W,DM602,S3/PRD_130193_4290crx.aspx

And BTW "pseudo kevlar" would NOT be KEVLAR at all. (Pseudo meaning fake/false/counterfeit)...

Anything else you would like me to explain? ("TheEAR")

12.gif

----------------

On 9/1/2003 1:29:03 AM Farrow9@cox.net wrote:

OK FIRST OFF - You are an arrogant mofo(TheEAR). Just because you have an esoteric hobby doesn't mean you are gods gift to enthusiasts. You are sitting in a thrown you special ordered right now aren't you?!?

SECOND - I was not bashing the speakers;

There are numerous advantages of kevlar cones in the lower frequencies...

I was simply stating that kevlar cones are generally less effeciant than most other materials of similar rigidness (more specifically aluminum).

Kevlar is heavier than most other materials used in cones which would make for a less effeciant driver.... I have plenty of evidence to back me up.

If you want more feel free to search yourself.

I am sure the speakers sound great, a world renowned company like this wouldn't make some kludge loudspeaker. But THEY ARE less effeciant(88db@1w/1m) than similar Klipsch or Axiom bookshelfs....

"Weaknesses:

Absolutely none other than they are hungry for power. Feed them!"

And BTW "pseudo kevlar" would NOT be KEVLAR at all. (Pseudo meaning fake/false/counterfeit)...

Anything else you would like me to explain? ("TheEAR")

12.gif

----------------

these are not the forums to troll and bicker.

and they're rated at 90dB@1w/1m FWIW

I have owned the 602 S3's for just over a year now. They don't required a lot of power. But they love current, much like all speakers. I power them with a 70 watt NAD integrated and rarely do I turn the volume knob past 9 o'clock.

With all efficient speakers, it's not the quantity of power that matters, but the quality of power. Power gives you SPL but it's current that makes speakers sing.

JasN00b, are you James~P at HTF?