RB-35 vs. RB-5

STL

I am helping my brother-in-law put together a Klipsch HT. He already had a pair of RF-3s and a RC-3. He is now looking to add some rear surrounds. Why in the heck are the new RB-35s cheaper than the old RB-5s? Both speakers use a 8" woofer and 1" horn so it appears the RB-35 is a direct replacement for the RB-5. The fact the RB-35 is cheaper makes we wonder if its parts are cheaper then (and therefore inferior to) the old RB-5. If that is the case then I should probably recommend the RB-5. If the RB-35 is truly just as good or better (and if so -- just how did they do that AND charge less?) then maybe I should recommend it. Would a RB-35 timbre match okay with the older RF-3 and RC-3?

Indeed what is up with the new design of the new ref series.

I don't like the new design. But why are they cheaper??

I think it has to do with the design of the motorboard.

The horn is constructed in this motorboard which gives me the feeling that the motorboard is not MDF but a polymer(kind of plastic). Can someone confirm this!!!!

This is probably easier to assemble ... . Soundwise it would be a bad thing I guess.

I would recommend the RB-5 (even RF-3) certainly with RF-3's.

One obvious difference is that the new Bookshelf series, aside from the RB75s all have vinyl vs wood veneer cabinets.I understand that the field is very competitive and a few bucks less may mean better sales. The new series also are front ported and therefore perhaps a bit more suitable to mounting against a wall or within a cabinet.I have the RB5s and would probably opt for the RB35s for that reason since the backs of mine are flush against the back of a cabinet wall which blocks the port exit.Aside from placement issues, if the speakers were close to my ears at my preferred listening position, I would opt for rear ports. If they were 8 or more feet away, I would opt for front ports.

The RB-35 is less costly than the RB-5 because it is housed in a vinyl covered MDF enclosure rather than a wood veneered MDF enclosure. The MDF is the same material and thickness etc. The plastic motorboard is applied OVER the 3/4" thick MDF motorboard. This is a cosmetic and performance enhancing approach. As the horn is integral to the plastic motorboard, there is less diffraction and better imaging. We are pleased to bring RB-5 performance to you at lower cost.

The front firing ports will make wall mounting and placement on shelves near the rear wall possible without interfering with the operation of the port. We have done this on all new bookshelf models save for the RB-15 where front porting was not possible without substantially increasing the size of the speaker. Even the new RW subs are front firing and front ported in order to make installation more flexible.

----------------

On 8/19/2003 4:45:14 PM BobG wrote:

The RB-35 is less costly than the RB-5 because it is housed in a vinyl covered MDF enclosure rather than a wood veneered MDF enclosure. The MDF is the same material and thickness etc. The plastic motorboard is applied OVER the 3/4" thick MDF motorboard. This is a cosmetic and performance enhancing approach. As the horn is integral to the plastic motorboard, there is less diffraction and better imaging. We are pleased to bring RB-5 performance to you at lower cost.

The front firing ports will make wall mounting and placement on shelves near the rear wall possible without interfering with the operation of the port. We have done this on all new bookshelf models save for the RB-15 where front porting was not possible without substantially increasing the size of the speaker. Even the new RW subs are front firing and front ported in order to make installation more flexible.

----------------

Greetings Bob:

From this Klipsch Fan - addict, The vinyl looks um, cheap. For a Reference, flagship series, I like to see and feel real wood.

I have not cared for the black. I've worked for too many groups and repaired band equipment by re-painting the black. Home theater it's fine you don't want to see the components.

As a two channel, give me real wood - even if it's veneer.

I'll say you go into a store now and it's hard to tell Paradigm, Definitive Technologies, Infinity and the junk speakers from Klipsch.

At least I can order Paradigm in real cherry WOOD.

The port on the front makes sense, a lot of the rest of what this Company is coming out with, makes me scratch my head.

Choosing speakers is 100% sound if single for some. Married, it can be all over the board.

Maybe people have forgotten how to use an oil, or Pledge if they're lacquered.

Ah well, what can you expect when even the CEO of Kodak states that within six (6) years there will be no manufacturing in the U.S.. Rochester's Kodak employees have gone from 42,000 in 1985 to 26,000 now with 6800 jobs going to Mexico and China.

Maybe Klipsch should look at the wood on some of the SET amps.

Maybe I'm just too old and expect too much quality, Customer Service, real operators and envelopes with the bills. Keep the heads and the stockholders happy.

I'm a Dinosaur.

Win dodger

Greetings:

Perhaps, I was a bit caustic, however in any post regarding quality, Heritage, etc.., that would be nice if a Moderator would reply to, there is none.

That says something to me - if you own a number of Klipsch speakers, or are Heritage fans, Don't expect a reply.

Win dodger

dodger,

Why are the belly-aching? Klipsch does indeed still offer several Heritage speakers -- and they all come with real wood or veneer finishes! Can you really blame them for offering reference HT speaker with a black vinyl finish? That is what MOST customers want! And did you even know that you can still get the flagship Reference speakers (the RC-7, RF-6, and RB-75) in Cherry, Maple, and Blackwood veneer finishes? So why all the moaning?

Personally I prefer the black look (as does my wife) and therefore could really care less if the cabinet is covered with a good simulated wood-grain vinyl or veneered black. The black simulated wood-grain vinyl that Klipsch uses is good stuff and very convincing to 99% of the public. To me, it is the SOUND that is ultimately important!!! As a consumer, I want to pay for performance not frilly "all-show and no-go" looks.