Operation Change The Speaks?

lancestorm

I am a bit confused on what to do in my current situation. Right now I do not have a sub, just five RF-3II's. When playing music it just sounds that much better setting the mains to LARGE when playing 2 channel audio. Is this okay? Better yet, how bad is it that I currently have all of them set to large for movies and such? Am I stressing the speaker too much or putting myself in danger of damaging my speakers? I really cannot afford a sub right now (read: mortgages suX0r!). So I either keep the settings or change the sizes as per your suggestions...

Thanks.

P.S. Even though the funds aren't there, that Pioneer 563A is looking might appetizing to get my feet wet in multisurround (I really need a sub don't I!! Anyone want to sell me their SVS cause they are upgrading to Accoustimass lol? :) )

Having those RF-3II's set to large should not pose any kind of problem all you are doing is feeding them a full range signal instead of one that is cut off to 80Hz and above. After all those are Full Range speakers. You should be able to just get a used dirt cheap sub for $50-$100 for the time being even a crappy one will make a difference. I have a little Audiosource SW 6.5 subwoofer in my bedroom with much larger Infinity mains and rears and it still makes a difference. I would leave them set to large even if I had a subwoofer!

Use only a sub when the information is comming from a discreet channel.

It is difficult to blend a sub with other speakers for stereo playback. They have to be matched so no abnormal behaviour occures at the crossover point.

This is however very difficult.

So for DD5.1/sacd multi a subwoofer will make a difference.

The question small or large depends.

1) All speakers to large + subw results in no signal processing by the receiver.

2) All speakers to small + subw results in a relieve of the amps in the receiver, but there will be signal processing to cut of the sound at the crossover point and rerouting to the sub.

So if your receiver is capable to drive your speakers I would opt for the first one. That is also my setting at this time.

Lancestorm,

If you look at it, the RF-3II are not small speakers. They simply are not as large as really big speakers. I think in dollar value terms the RF3II is the best speaker Klipsch produces. You have a GREAT set of speakers if you are running 5 of these.

I have two of these on my mains in my second system. They sound so good that I have on several occasions considered switching out those with my KLF-20's for my surrounds but I simply do not have the room for the 20's in my second room.

Keep em large you will be fine. Add a sub for movies later when you can. Why people spend big bucks and put a speaker on small is beyond me. (OK, maybe if the speaker in question is a BOSE cube?? hahahahahaha def yes!!)

You will be fine, and even more amazed when the sub adds the "Umph" on a movie soundtrack. Bottom line is this, it sounds like you love it already..It is only going to get better! Congrats on choosing Klipsch!!

I guess I was just worried about lower frequencies (below 80 Hz) going to the speaks. I listen to music and movies very loud and was worried about the speaks keeping up. Definitely don't want to abuse the speaker by having low frequencies at high volumes. Generally I push about -8 on movies with the HK525, and down to -20 to as low as -5 for music. HK owners out there?

Also, I'm thinking of buying that Pioneer 563A which has dvd, sacd, and dvd-a. Even though I do not have a sub, will I notice a difference? LOL, currently I run my music through my xbox...yep, you guessed it: RCA connections. Would there be a change in sound if I went to optical with this new player?

Thanks!

Also, I do plan on taking some pics. Others were asking for me to do this...I will soon.

----------------

On 8/15/2003 10:37:53 AM lancestorm wrote:

I guess I was just worried about lower frequencies (below 80 Hz) going to the speaks. I listen to music and movies very loud and was worried about the speaks keeping up.

----------------

You should be more worried about Harman Kardon AVR525 then the RF-3's. Can it deliver the lower frequencies. By setting all 5 speakers to larg the HK has to do more work. A sub and setting all speaks to small (but indeed what is the point of having floorstanders in the first place) may result in better sound as the receiver is relieved.

Besides the horn tweeter is more vurnable then the woofer certainly when driving the HK into clipping.

LanceStorm,

I have my RF-3II's on my second system. They are being pushed by a Onkyo 797 using a 150watt external 5 channel amp. I crank this system as it is close to my deck and we like to JAM. I have never had a problem with them, ever. I think they are soooooooooo smoooooooooth!

Don't scare me, please :).

Actually now you are going to get me scared and worried about my receiver. I thought for sure it has the strength to drive 5

speaks on Large setting...I mean, if not then I wouldn't have been given the option. Imagine me trying to do this with even less

sensitive speakers! So, seriously, how much of a concern should I have for the receiver now? When I purchased this receiver

I thought that this thing would be the receiver I would use for the next several years. Now I could be burnin it out?

Please be honest in your opinion and don't let my comments sway your direction!

i dont know what they are talking about, never set those rf's to small, if you want adjust the bass levels on your reciever, the reciever should have an adjustable bass crossover, putting a large speaker on small is defeating the purpose of the speaks woofers, if you set the speaks to small you we degrade imaging12.gif

I agree with marksdad. Still if all speakers set to large the receiver has to do a lot more work. Sometimes (I don't know in this case) setting to small will result in better sound at higher volumes.

Just check with all 5 speakers driven how the receiver behaves when raising the volume up till your highest listening volume. If it sounds good (not stressy, distorted) and the lower freq are still there you are ok.