My KSW12 is humming

Egil

I just bought a KSW12, and it's humming. I was wondering.. What might be the problem? (After a little search on the forum, it seems like many people have had problems with humming - I didnt find any solutions on the problem though).

As long as the power-cord is connected, it humm's all the time. (It doesn't matter if it is set to "On", "Off" - or if I pull out the RCA-cord).

My KSW12 = 230V.

Suggestions on what to do? (Should I change the KSW12 with another KSW12..or something)

Are you sure that the ksw is 230 volt? I assume that you live somewhere other than north america. I'm not sure if they just have a switch like 115/230 volt or a seperate model amp for other markets. If it does have a voltage switch, make sure it is set to the proper voltage for your area. If the humming continues, contact the dealer you purchased it from. Good luck!

I have also a KSW12 and it doesn't humm.

Ok, just a little but not noticeble from a few meters.

How is it connected?? Cable type?? Cable can pick up signals.

Also the connections need to be proper connected.

To what is it connected ???? Receiver can put noice on the line.

Guest Anonymous

Hi there EGil read your post about the humming .Let me ask you a question are you using cable TV? and if the KSW12 is in a HT set up or two channel system ?

The sub is humming even when it is not connected to the receiver.. so it is not a problem with the receiver or the cable im using from the subwoofer->receiver. The humming is there - always (if the power is "ON" - it humms). And no - im not using a cable TV. In most movies I notice the damn humming (for instance.. if you are watching a scary movie - then it is usually many "quiet" moments.. then you hear the damn annoying humm..). The question is: Is the KSW12 supposed to make a weak humm-noise? Im sitting right next to the sub.. so perhaps I should try to move the subwoofer another place - away from the place im sitting... hmmm 14.gif

I just remember that I somehow did a fix for this some time ago. Sometimes the humm was indeed annoying.

I discoverd that the humm was comming from the transfo inside the sub. It is vibration on the cooling heatsink. I just tighten the screws which it holds. It never annoyed me since then.

Now it humms just a little if you put your ears next to it.

Not noticeable from 1 meter away.

It will however be better to place the sub further away. Don't place it next to you. It will be more annoying. Place it somewhere in a corner.

The subwoofer is already in a corner.. And I dont have more corners to place it in. Hehe.

I will go to the place where I bought the subwoofer, and listen to another KSW12 (check if it humms) - if it doesnt humm, ill just change.

Depending on what country you live in, the local electrical supply can have an impact on subwoofer hum. We have found certain countries where the problem is more severe. Australia is an example. Because the electrical grid is very long there, they use boosters to raise the voltage far from the generating stations. I am no expert on AC grids so this is a very simple explanation. The boosters typically generate noise and voltage varies considerably. We have invested a great deal of effort and $ studying this phenomenon and have made improvements in the product to eliminate or dramatically reduce their suceptibility to hum. Do check another unit at your dealer and also try to identify if the hum is coming more from the woofer driver or if you hear it more from the port. If from the port, it could be the transformer vibrating at the line frequency of 50 Hz.

----------------

On 8/17/2003 9:44:59 AM Egil wrote:

It's from the port. Do you think it would be easy for me to fix the problem myself? (I have no more warranty if I do?)

----------------

No, it is very easy.

Just unscrew the connection pannel. Tighten the screws holding the transformer. It depends on the net your on like bobg says.

If the net has a lot of harmonics due to reductant polution then the transformer will still make noise. You can buy a filter for this that cleans up the incomming ac power.

Once unscrewed you need to disconnect the woofer cables and the led cable, so the connection pannel is totaly free.

Here is a picture of the transfo. I circled the bolts to tighten.

You will see that the transfo is on rubber feeds just under the bolts.

Don't screw them totaly flat.

post-6167-13819248780106_thumb.jpg

USparc: Thx for your help 1.gif

I have performed the little "operation", and the humming is lower now. But it's still a weak hum there. Net-filter will take care of that, perhaps.

I also noticed that the internal-cabling was with thin cables.. Maybe it would be a little tweak to change the "standard" cables with some cables of better quality? hmm 3.gif

• 2 weeks later...