My RC-7 rocks

Bruinsrme

After months of frustration with my center channel I have learned that the interface between the couch and the receiver was faulty.

With the help of MrMcgoo and HT fan from the flagship receiver forum the RC7 is really starting to impress me. It still needs a little tweaking but today my bose sounding RC7 now sounds like a KLIPSCH RC-7.

Thanks for you help.

No I know what I have been missing......

Scott9.gif

Here was the original problem

Hi, I am experiencing a problem with my Center channel sound (RC-3). It sounds rather muffled as if the High's are not being projected. I am powering it with the Onkyo DS-797. The speaker is atop the TV.

Thank you in advance,

Scott

Hi to all,

Last week I posted my concerns regarding the RC-3 sounding muffled.

I have adjusted the angle which did improve the sound. As we were watching various movies, DTS, THX, Dolby, it was apparent the center channel was squashing the voices.

I have also adjusted the Bass and treble in every direction. I set all the receiver settings to default and started from scratch.

Now as my last resort I have removed the hi/low clips from the center channel.

I connected the cable to the low and both woofers are working well. The horn on the other hand sounds like its in a coffee can and not a speaker.

How much output should I expect to hear from the center horn and is that whatis causing the muffled performance?

What else can I do to improve the performance?

Current config;

Onkyo DS-797

RC-3

monster 1.2 cable; Green lead to red; black lead to black

and in conjunction with psylocke

I just upgraded my Synergy SB-2, SC-1 & SS-1's to the RB-25, RC-25 & RS-25's.

The sound difference is amazing but I am finding that my center channel is overpowered by the RB-25s'. Also I am finding that vocals in some movies tend to sound a bit hollow or echoing. Am I inmaging this or am I just hearing the center information the way it shoud sound with more efficient speakers? I had already exchagne the RC-25 for another one and I get the same result.

I am wondering if the speaker just has to be broken in first.

I also added 2 inwall SCW-1s' for my back surround channels in case any one is interested

The fix was I learned how to use my receiver......

Scott,

The owner's manual for your receiver is only 120 pages of Japanese translated into stilted English. Every time a new feature is added, it is just that much more complex to operate the system.

It has taken me 2 years to realize that 80 Hz is better than 50 Hz for a crossover, and that the RF-7s should be set to small just like some of the "experts" have recommended all along. For me, this gives the tightest bass.

Bill

----------------

It has taken me 2 years to realize that 80 Hz is better than 50 Hz for a crossover, and that the RF-7s should be set to small just like some of the "experts" have recommended all along. For me, this gives the tightest bass.

Bill

----------------

Uhmmmm I have mine set to large and subs set to plus.

I work on Nikon lithography equipment for Intel and the translations on the control monitors makes the manual for the 49tx look like perfect english.9.gif

thanks again

Scott

I spent yesterday listening to various speakers. What I have found is that there are many lifeless speakers out there. The soudstage of the Klipsch is unreal. They put you there, where many speakers I heard yesterday sounded good but were undynamic.

The family thing is important but one can only sacrifice so much. The Klipsch remain.

Regrets no I am happy I kept the klipsch

----------------

On 8/15/2003 7:52:35 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

----------------

If you get tighter bass by setting RF-7's to small and probably using a sub then this is an indication that your receiver isn't able to drive the RF-7 at lower frequencies!!!! If this is the case then indeed a crossover of 80 Hz will be better as the amp will be more relieved.

Don't be fooled by this small/large thing. If a speaker is a full range speaker then set it to large.

small = when speaker can't handle lower freq. not full range

large = full range

Moreover if you set speakers to small the receiver has to do signal processing which will result in less soundquality.

Crossovers seem to be a tricky thing and another think I do not fully understand. When the Pioneer switches the speaker from large to small is looks like it cuts out the 63hz equalization and the next frequency is 125hz. Does this man the any below 125hz is sent to the subs?

It was recommended that I set the crossover on the receiver to 80hz. But if the only thing being sent to the sub is 80hz and below where is the rest being sent to the fronts.

I have no idea what the hell I am doing anymore. If I knew it was going to be this frustrating I would have picked another hobby like co-ed naked skydiving. The pioneer is a great unit, but the mediocre owners manual assumes you have some understanding of their DSPs, functions and interface.

This was a bad week to stop sniffing glue........

Scott7.gif

Usparc,

My RF-7s are on a separate amp that is stable with 4 Ohm loads, so the improved bass is not a function of taking the load off of the receiver. A single source of bass below 80 Hz causes less cancellation that multiple speakers interacting.

If I want more bass, I just turn up the gain on the RSW-15. The limitation on bass output is WAF.

Bill