Monster Powercenters / Voltage Stabilizers Hip or Hype

NikonosV

I was looking for a surge prtotector for my new system and have found that there are more options than I was aware of. These voltage stabilizers and powercenters can get pretty pricey but may be worth it if they do all they say they will. I have noticed my lights dim when I crank up my system and I they really flicker when the RSW-12 kicks in. Any thoughts?

There are other threads that address your question. I'm not an expert, but I don't think your power flucations will be smoothed out by anything that is not very expensive--a line conditioner, APS, etc.

I have a Monster Power 2500 which I like. I paid about $170 on-line. It is really the bottom of the line of products that is the size of other HT components. MP dealers have a gizzmo that supposedly demonstrates how much cleaner the power is with their boxes. Not sure there is anything behind the hype, and, although I surely wouldn't spend what some of these units cost, I needed a surge protector and the MP 2500 looks better than a glorified powerstrip.

As you look at brands, check out the Brickwall web site. Brickwall is less well known, but they really have some good products.

----------------

On 8/16/2003 9:57:33 AM John Albright wrote:

They're a little of both. Reducing spikes and sags, plus cutting noise cannot hurt. However, if your amps are of decent quality, their PS will be able to handle that stuff anyway.

----------------

Well, all I can tell you is that, after working with and without line conditioners in studio environments, and listening with and without them on various home audio equipment, I'm convinced that it's a worthy investment for anyone who's serious about their music.

A key factor to me, it really works, besides audio as mentioned, it really cleaned up my cable tv signal on the video side of the house. I use to live in Canada's high arctic, where power was supplied by a diesel generator with another as backup. The power would go out regularly, and I was using an Adcom ACE-515 Enhamcer for my system. Along story short, nothing fried, clean cut when power went off, it looked after my system. Since then you can't tell me different on Power Protection IMHO 10.gif

They are worthy -- just don't spend crazy prices Monster is asking! Look for a used or even new Tripplite Line Conditioner (commonly found in labs protecting delicate test equipment -- so you know they are good) on eBay.

Don't believe everything you read on AudioReview.com they can be biased and not true. They are opinions of supposedly owners. I have a review on the Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer, an HONEST 1 !!

Monster may seem pricey, but I use the HTPS7000, and I'm happy, the price that has been stated as such, way less for Monster if you work it!

I have gone beyond a conditioner to a power plant10.gif

I can place another vote for the Adcom 515. I watched it protect my equipment a few times, one of which blew out other equipment including a few light bulbs in other rooms.

As for sound quality, if you have noise in your house wiring, it will help. I hear background noise if I connect direct to the wall, as well as static from my X-10 systems & computer network wiring. The 515 seems to clean it all up, making the music much cleaner.

Edit: Another benefit....most will also provide time delay switching for external amps etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The Adcom's are nice and don't use MOV surge protection, they use the Brickwall style protection. I was origionally going to get the adcom, however, they had much few power ports and options. So, I found a good deal on a new Monster PowerCenter 5000MkII for $400 (had to be mislabeled, since they are usually $600). I found that it did three things for me. First, one push on my remote or pre/pro and every thing starts up. Second, it offered at least some level of surge protection. Finally, it did quiet down my cable ground Humm and quiet down hiss from the AC. I find it more handy and peace of mind then much of anything else. I wouldn't have paid full price for it, so look for deals. Panamax is also a good company (I actually like them better, but the unit I was looking at was more expensive then what I got).

Yeah, the lights will dim when the power rushes to the big amps there is really no easy way around that. I also have noticed that my voltage is usually a bit low, last night it was 110 volts and my home lights kept flickering and my HT wasn't even on.

-Dave

I have both the Monster 2600 and 7000 units. Before them, even at moderate volumes with no music playing, there was a tremendous hum through the speakers. With these units, the speakers are perfectly silent without any source playing. I paid about $800 for the $1200 HTPS 7000 unit from soundpros.

----------------

On 8/16/2003 11:33:21 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 8/16/2003 9:57:33 AM John Albright wrote:

They're a little of both. Reducing spikes and sags, plus cutting noise cannot hurt. However, if your amps are of decent quality, their PS will be able to handle that stuff anyway.

----------------

Well, all I can tell you is that, after working with and without line conditioners in studio environments, and listening with and without them on various home audio equipment, I'm convinced that it's a worthy investment for anyone who's serious about their music.

----------------

Your discount also helps 9.gif I was told about 'Barny' over in computers, do you know Barny?

----------------

On 8/17/2003 6:10:16 PM NikonosV wrote:

Sounds like the line conditioner will be a good idea. The Monster gets mixed review on audioreview.com. Anybody ever tried Panamax? The Home Theater store her in big D uses them. Will definately ck out the triplite on E-Bay idea.
----------------

I have a Panamax power conditioner. When I had a small blue/green discoloration in the upper left corner of my TV's picture tube, running the power cords AND cable through the Panamax got rid of the trouble spot. Plus, I was using it in Germany on a 2000W 220-110V transformer. Long story short...I once had a huge spike through the transformer that completely blew the entire Panamax unit, but all my connected electronics were fine. Panamax even replaced my damaged unit at no charge. I agree with the others that have posted here--the surge protection is definitely a good thing, and a little AC cleaning never hurts, but I don't think you should be spending more on a line conditioner than you have on the components you're trying to protect (something about moderation is a good rule here).

- J.T.

Monster voltage stabilisers do work and the top of the line surge suppressors are a must for anyone who has kilobuck gear.I also have Chang LightSpeed and PS Audio AC conditioners and they do work,you notice the lower noise and clarity improving.

Its not placebo effect,as I was in doubt and told the store owner I would return the gear if it did not help.And I purchased it in the end,it did the trick for me.

I added MONSTERS HTPS 7000 to my system, and yes I think I can tell a noticable improvment. The video imaging is definitly cleaner, however, I also upgraded my old S-video transimssion line of one of better quality.

In other words, could have been the connection. But I don't think so. To late to test the old one since I tossed it. Oh, well, there you have it, my not so convincing opinion.