any other B&K ref30 / 7250 / RF3 II owners out there

bobo420

Im currently running this set-up. Just curious to know what other people's take on the sound is. Im finding HT to be outstanding but music lacks in some hig freq detail - which is generally uncharacteristic of a klipsch speaker. im begining to think the 7250 is at fault. thoughts?

Could be, could be other things as well. I still think some of the better DVD players sound superior to the cheaper CD players.

It could be the CDs themselves, as some of the older recorded ones sound simply awful no matter what you play them through.

It could also be a speaker placement issue, as it relates to the characteristics of your listening room.

Cables and interconnects can also contribute to this problem.

The B&K gear is very good, and typically has a reputation for mating to Klipsch very well. I really think you should look elsewhere within the system.

it is definatly something else, i have run quite a variety of other machines, but once i purchased my b&k gear it just all seemed to open up, better and more dynamic everything, from the lowest lows to those delicate cymbals off in the distance, my guess is now you just hear more of the other freqs, if you are new to the b&k stuff it might just take a little while to recognize the fuller range of sound, i know that for me it was immediate, pleasure from the onset downstream definatly12.gif just for grins, check your specks, it will show you that not only will your gear handle the highs, but it will do it with authority

Not trying to rag on the speaks there bobo, but I feel they are your weakest link with the mentioned equipment. I have the Ref30 with a Parasound 2205AT via a DV47A and music through Cornwall II's sounds superb, even in 2 channel. I like to bypass all processing for 2 channel when I am listening to that rig. Don't get me wrong, I think the 3II's are great speakers. Your other equipment may just be showing you what they are lacking.

For those that want a multi-purpose system but primarily are concerned about 2-channel, how would the REF 30 stack-up to say the following in just 2-channel performance using the amp of your choice:

1. Outlaw 950 pre/pro

2. Denon 3803 used as just a pre-pro

3. B&K Ref 50 (same sound in 2-channel?)

4. Anthem AVM20

5. Halo pre/pro

6. sub $1k 2-channel pre-amp

It seems the REF 30 would rank #3 with a 2-channel pre the best? Combining a 2-channel pre with pre/pro gets expensive and a pain w/o HT pass-through. The Ref 30 used at $1100 seems like a good multi-purpose value.

I wonder how much of a difference I could really perceive between 1-6?