Need to get some surrounds - what to buy?

kenratboy

As you can see by my sig, I have everything but surround speakers in my home theater. So, I need to get some (duh!)

First, they will not get used much, probably less than 10 hours a MONTH. They will be placed in the back corners of my room, not on side walls, so I am going for some normal bookshelf speakers. I want something cheap, less than $150. What I am thinking:

Klipsch SB-1 - http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?Cid=331 - I can get them for CHEAP (from Best Buy), and am thinking about doing this. They will last and I can use them for uber computer speakers eventually or another system.

I could also build a DIY speaker kit from Parts Express, but as I type, I realize they are not video shielded and, well, the Klipsch's and their horns will work better for surrounds.

I kinda answered my own question, but should the SB-1's work great as surrounds?

They are very hard to find and most of the ones being sold are older. Unlike some of the Klipsch stuff, this JBL stuff was all Circuit City fare, so it is NOT stuff HT freaks bought.

The center channel I bought came with a blown tweeter and the seller gave me money back to get a new one from JBL. It was NOT fun and very stressful.

Also, I will be getting Klipsch in the future, so these might be good if I get a 7.1 channel system going.

You say your surrounds will only be used 10 hours a month? i assume that then applies to how often you use your home theater? is money a high concern for you? cause if you're already planning to go 7.1 klipsch, it would seem that the best thing to do would be start building your klipsch 7.1 system starting with some reference or heritage series for fronts, and begin moving your once-main JBL HLS to the surrounds until you can afford klipsch's for surrounds, eventually phasing out the JBLs. No point wasting money on surrounds if you're just going to get rid of them later.

I agree with everyone above. If you already have all JBL speakers stick with JBL, if they are hard to find, check eBay, audiogone, etc, etc... Just be patient and do not rush this process, you will be glad you did.

If you are looking to upgrade to Klipsch speakers in the near future, you need to decide on what your main speakers will be and then match your surrounds, centers, and rears accordingly. I have never heard of someone matching their mains based their rear or surround speakers, but I guess it could be done.

In the event that you are stuck on buying Klipsch surronds first, then decide on what system you would like to go with (reference, KG, Synergy, etc) and then plan accordingly to that. Some people cannot tell the difference if their speakers do not match, however others can tell a huge difference as soon as you HT System in turned on.

Best of luck...