Can't decide what to get next!

lancestorm

It comes down to two things:

A nice sub (SVS or Klipsch, still undecided)

or

A projector. Specifically looking at the Panny AE300.

My thinking is that geting the projector would be awesome. The downside is that I will be missing many special effects without a sub. Then again, I have 5 floorstanders, so that helps. Man...decisions, decisions...

Lance - You've probably read the same threads I have, but in case not, there's a rumored Panny 400 to be announced later this year which may add WXGA, higher contrast, a brighter bulb and some other niceties which are missing on the 300. If the pricing is in the same ballpark, that should be quite a machine.

CEDIA is just a few weeks away - maybe we'll now more after that.

DD

I always opt for spending $$ on the audio portion of equipment first. In response to a couple of previous posts, from a psychological perspective, it is the SOUND that draws your attention into the theatre experience the most. Agreed that the human sense of sight is probably our primary sense. It is simply that the acoustical phenomena of surround sound really triggers something deep within us that makes the experience very real. Imagine a huge projection screen setup with a tinny, mono sound system. Now move to a setup with say, 27" screen with a killer audio system. The later will bring much more enjoyment!

Regarding projection systems, have you looked into Canon? They have a model, I think 7450, that is XVGA, 1800 lumens, and comes with a spare bulb ($500 bonus) for about $1800 at discount houses.

good listening (and viewing)

Michael

----------------

On 8/22/2003 3:48:28 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I always opt for spending $$ on the audio portion of equipment first. In response to a couple of previous posts, from a psychological perspective, it is the SOUND that draws your attention into the theatre experience the most. Agreed that the human sense of sight is probably our primary sense. It is simply that the acoustical phenomena of surround sound really triggers something deep within us that makes the experience very real. Imagine a huge projection screen setup with a tinny, mono sound system. Now move to a setup with say, 27" screen with a killer audio system. The later will bring much more enjoyment!

----------------

I guess your right. Its just when i set up the HT system, the TV is large object that is hard to move around and sometimes will affect your speaker location and wiring location. We were very challenged when we moved the 60in TV replacing the 36. Living room furniture had to be moved or taken out to accomodate the size. We couldn't put the sub where we wanted it and the Components was moved all around. It was just a mess. Personally, I was glad to get the video and build around it since its easier to put wires where they will stay then build it up and then tear it down because the TV dictates that.

Anyways, it was just an observation.

you say you have 5 floor standers, than go with the panny, i dont use a sub, and am quite happy, sub is good but it is not the end all. granted i have alot of low end allready, and could use a sub, but i have had both already, and with my current set up there is more than enough to rumble the walls and windows, i also sometimes find that there is so much lfe as to sound unnatural, i mean have you ever really heard munitions displays? i have, and they dont sound like movie munitions, i prefere natural to dressed up sound, just an opinion12.gif

Thanks for your opinions, I do appreciate it. I think I want to do the basement up and get this projector idea rolling. I will have time in the future to work on the lows, I think going for a big 106 inch image will blow me away more than a new sub with a 24 inch tv. Of course, seeing as I don't have the funds for either right now (hey, gotta work towards what you want) I have plenty of time to make a decision. I know the CEDIA is coming up and it'll be interesting to see if the Panny ae400 rumors come true..

----------------

On 8/22/2003 9:41:04 PM marksdad wrote:

i mean have you ever really heard munitions displays? i have, and they dont sound like movie munitions

----------------

true, I don't think any sub can reproduce the concussion that you get if you are standing up in your hatch and give your gunner the command to fire the 120mm main gun on an M1A1D Abrams....but I like to get as close to that experience as I can.9.gif

I am holding off on the projector until later, prices are dropping as their presence grows. I know if I wait a while, it will be just like stereo VCR's, DVD players, and other "new" electronics, prices will drop...even though I did borrow a small projector from my boss for a weekend and I did like the 93" picture that I threw up on a (get this) textured plaster wall.

My advice, go with a real sub...do your research and buy the one that fits the sound/use you want. I did, ended up with the perfect match for HT and $$$ (don't go cheap on the sub, it makes the most impact on the sound and it ruins the Reference's)

Best thing I added to my HT was my SVS.

I have been kicking around the idea of adding 2 SVS PB ultras when they are unleashed. Tom and I exchanged emails and he raved about the up coming PB2 isd sub now on pre order. from the sounds of the spec this is one hellava sub for under a grand.

I have used unauthorized dealers in the past and saved money with the understanding you are at the mercy of the dealer for warranty work. But you can get an RSW12 for about the same price as the PB2isd. The PC= 2039 will run a little less than these others.

but get a decent sub, you will be amazed at the difference.

Whe considering the HT the TV is the last on the list. with Plasma and LCD becoming popular I opted to wait until the prices started coming down, which they are. But 2005 will be the year I will make the call.

Russia is still selling off their Echo class subs. Last time I heard they were selling for about 500,000 US dollars