Magnetic Interference with TV

colterphoto1

I recently replaced my 27" Mitsu with a 35" Sony direct-view (tube) television. Due to space constraints, the Sony now sits on a stand directly adjacent to a Klipsch Cornwall. For the first 12 hours or so, pink or green discoloration appeared in the corner of the TV tube closest to the Cornwall woofer. THEN IT DISAPPEARED! I know this was due to the proximity of the tube to the woofer magnet and the Cornwall being 'unsheilded'.

Question:

Why did this phenomena disappear after a few hours viewing, and am I possibly causing long-term damage to my Sony TV? Is there a way to block/shield the tube from the magnetic interference ?

Michael

Michael,

I had the same thing happen with a center channel on top of my TV. Pink and purple top of screen for about an hour and then - gone! I think that there is some sort of adaptation of the speaker/television that takes place. How this happens, I do not know. At any rate, I have had the center speaker there for about 2 years and the distortion has never returned.

Milton

My guess is that in setting up you moved the TV close enough to the woofer to lightly magnetize the shadow mask but the final location is far enough away to not cause a problem. The TV has a degaussing coil that is activated whenever it is turned on. Perhaps its took a few cycles to reduce the magnetism of the shadow mask to a point where it does not affect the picture.

We had to manually degauss my friend's computer monitor after is daughter tried to stick kitchen magnets to it.

I understand there are magnets one can buy

to attach to either the TV or speakers that will eliminate the interference. I thought I heard where Klipsch might sell them. Check their online store. If I'm not mistaken they are called "bucking magnets"?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Thankfully, my RF-7's came magnetically shielded from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not torn into a set, but my guess is that most home HT speakers have a second magnet set in the rear of the cabinet with it's poles reversed from the woofer's (largest and strongest magnetic field). There is no actual 'shielding' as in copper foil, etc. Therefore, am I to take it that I need to purchase and install suitable magnets inside my Cornwalls? Any idea what strength these need to be. I wouldn't think this would need to be highly scientific, therefore hesitate to buy officially sanctioned product if it's at high $$$.

IndyKlipschFan- Any idea what these 'bucking' magnets cost or a part number? Do I need to order specifically for my corns, or is a just a big general purpose magnet? Am I really possibly causing long term damage to my TV tube if I don't do this mod?

I'll probably wait and do this when I make further xover, horn-dampening, and cabinet stiffening mods. Whew! Thanks all!