setting for rf3II

ric

When I had my RF-3II's(same goes for my current speakers), I found setting all speakers in my HT to small sounded best. It's much easier to integrate a single subwoofer for smooth bass response rather than integrating 5 speakers plus a subwoofer. It also will put less strain on your RF-3II's(and what's powering them), this also led to cleaner sound in my experiences.

no, no, no, in basic terms the only time a person should set thier speaks to small is when the speak is not full range, if it would have trouble handling the freqs passed to it, as far as subs go, the reciever will still pass lfe to the sub, lfe is lfe, bass is bass. bass is meant to go to fronts, sides and centers unless the speaks wont handle it, if you do not allow your full range speaks to work full range than sound stage is diminished. i do not know why it would be easier to balance setting all to small12.gif12.gif

----------------

On 8/24/2003 4:03:26 AM marksdad wrote:

no, no, no, in basic terms the only time a person should set thier speaks to small is when the speak is not full range, if it would have trouble handling the freqs passed to it, as far as subs go, the reciever will still pass lfe to the sub, lfe is lfe, bass is bass. bass is meant to go to fronts, sides and centers unless the speaks wont handle it, if you do not allow your full range speaks to work full range than sound stage is diminished. i do not know why it would be easier to balance setting all to small

----------------

Marksdad,

From my Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX owners manual, you may get get less Bass overall if you select Large and also go with a sub. The reason is "Low Frequency Cancellation". The manual states it depends on room size and other factors and you should listen to both before deciding one way or another. So I guess there are reasons to chose "Small" when your speakers are full range. I run my speakers "small" even though I have RF-15s. I like ALL Bass Frequencies to be run to the subwoofer.

Not sure what kind of AVR you are running but some of the Pioneer models allow the user to set the speakers to large and the sub setting to PLUS. this feature sends a full spectrum to the all the speakers and sends only those frequencies below the selected crossover to the sub(s).

This setting produces a great amount of bass across the front. Though during some music playback I have found it better to set the fronts to small and let the subs do the work. It really depends on the soundtrack.

My take on this is there isn't a perfect set up for all movies and music. On the inside of the dvd boxes I started writing down the settings I find to be the best for that particular dvd.

My VSX-45TX allows this. Like I mentioned, sometimes its good, sometimes its not so good. FYI, i have both the 45TX and the 43TX.

I find that running "Small" for me works all the time, so I leave it at that.

I guess, I rather not go and change the settings all the time. Your ears cannot hear where the Bass is coming from anyways. You can only hear the intensity of the Bass and its not like you are losing any sound. You just redirect the frequencies to a different source. Having a good sub more then compensates for this, IMO.

James

----------------

no, no, no, in basic terms the only time a person should set thier speaks to small is when the speak is not full range, if it would have trouble handling the freqs passed to it, as far as subs go, the reciever will still pass lfe to the sub, lfe is lfe, bass is bass. bass is meant to go to fronts, sides and centers unless the speaks wont handle it, if you do not allow your full range speaks to work full range than sound stage is diminished. i do not know why it would be easier to balance setting all to small
12.gif12.gif

----------------

well, there are a few ?'s before such a DEFINITE response can be made:

1.brand/model of receiver

2.my receiver happens to allow for 40Hz roll-off-to-sub for l,r;c;surr.independantly from each other, but ONLY when speakers are set to 'small'.

i would say that 40Hz is plenty low for all 5 of my speakers, but i set the l,r to 40Hz, and the c,surr to 60Hz, and the sub handles the rest. for whatever reason,setting to 'large' does NOT allow as low a setting for the main 5 speakers..

so w/a little more info, a better answer can be given.

avman.

----------------

12.gif12.gif

----------------

I have to disaggree with this. it is not always best to set your speakers to large, even if they are huge like khorns or RF-7's. I have my RF-5's set to pass frequencies below 80 hz to the RSW-15. it's not cause the RF-5's can't handle material in the 50 hz range, it just cuts down on mid range quality because than the RF-5's also have to play the low bass, which at high volume gives the midrange a congested sound. also, bass is where much amplifier power is spent, so if you aren't sending the bass signals to your mains, than the amplifier is able to provide a cleaner midrange and high end. and lastly, when the mains aren't playing low bass signals, the cabnits don't vibrate as much, which improves imaging, clarity, AND sound stage. below 80 hz is all sub material anyway, so it doesn't matter. this is also what most small settings do.

My RF3IIs sound better set to "small," and I let the quality subwoofer(s) do the work. Your Velodyne sub should provide all of the bass you will ever need, and if not, you could always double up on subs (or go the "cylinder" route).

A caveat: I believe some Klipsch models do sound better set to "large" so there are some exceptions. For example,

KLF-C7: set to "large." The final judges will be your own ears.

Harmon Kardon AVR 525 (great brand with Klipschs)

Mains: RF3II

Center: RC35

Surrounds: RS35

Rear: KLF-C7

Front Sub: HSU VTF-2

Rear Sub: SVS 20-39PCi

Sony CD Changer C69 ES

Toshiba DVD

Magnavox 36" TV

I found mine work better when set to small. It will be much easier to send to much bass to the dual 8" drives than a nice sub like a velodyne. On my Denon 2802 I set the receiver cross over to 80hz and turn the subwoofer hz to its highest setting. If you set your sub to 50 hz your losing all that bass between 80 & 50 hz. Besides there are many smart people on this forum who know a heck of a lot more than me and have the RF3II's and they recommend small.

I am a newbie to all these stuff, but I guess it really depends on the music you are listening to. I set all my RF-35 components (RF35,RC35,RS-35) to large. With classical music, I like to just use 2 Channel setting with my Sony STR-DA7Es. The sound is much cleaner to me. When the bass is handled by the subwoofer, I find the music very boomy and un-natural. However, with movie or rap/rock music, I like to use auto-decoding and route all the bass to the subwoofer, giving a much better effect (esp with all the shaking the RW-10 can do2.gif )

I find listening to classical music especially best with large and 2 channel speakers setting, the small setting makes Klipsch sound like Bose 9.gif )

I have my front mains, center, and center surrounds set to Small. The rear surrounds are Large. Just properly calibrate the sub and try out different crossover frequencies. Turn it's level down a bit. By a certain point, the bass will no longer sound boomy and unnatural, but very smooth and well integrated.