Pilot 225

Wolk1

Kelly,

I rebuilt a 232 for a guy across the state from me. They are indeed great little EL84 power amps especially when you realize most of them were wasted in those consoles !!! You should try one some time if you get a chance I think you would be impressed.

Craig

I bought a Pilot 232 on E-bay about a year ago and got lucky and picked it up for $180. and rebuit it with auricaps and riken resistors and the sound still amazes me to this day, I wouldn't take $2000. for it if someone offered it to me, it's that good. I never heard of a Pilot 225 but if it's half as good as a Pilot 232 than it's a winner.9.gif

I think the old tube amps built by Pilot Corp. were in New York state in the 40's thur the 60's and I think they sold the name in the late 60's to a Corp. in Japan who put the name on cheap SS equipment. I don't think the old Pilot amp corp. had the big name like Mcintosh or H.H. Scott, but they were very well respected by audio people who were looking for good sounding equipment and didn't care about the name, kind of sleeper equipment of the time.

The PILOT of the 80's I recall was like a Sound Design ALL-IN-ONE but built into an audio rack with a big face plate to look just like components. The speakers were as tall as the rack. The face plate had a tuner row of controls followed by an EQ row of lights, and amp, etc. but this was all one face plate made to look like components. Even the TT was built into the rack.

From a distance it looked like a black faced component stereo.

It seems a few of the old radio names like PHILCO also got solf off for other uses.

I cant even find reference for a schematic online for this piece. I dont even know if it's a tube amp so you need to ask some questions, this to a person that is playing the "I dont have any way to test it" game. Basically, this is a complete shot in the dark as I really havent found A THING on this particular piece, even in AA. IF the goon could take a shot of the 225 with the cover off, A LOT could be ascertained. Will he do this? I doubt it. Ask if he can see tubes. Personally, I would look elsewhere but you could live dangerously...which isnt a big deal if it's $1.99. Expect to spend up to 50 times that perhaps to get up to snuff and even then, it might not be worth it.

• 17 years later...