The White Van Scam

Tony Reed

I can tell you that there are some real bargains in speakers made in the far east. many of which are marked up a couple of hundred percent and sold in the US by "name" companies. I bought some HT speakers in China from the same factory that supplies, private labeled of course, speakers to Red Rose Music, Creek and a few others. I verified that for many models no more than cosmetic differences were made for the private label clients, in other cases changes in x-over was claimed. I am very happy with my purchase and have speakers that sell via Red Rose and distributors for five times what I paid for them. So do not forget the mark ups! it is the same in electronics, many of the CD and SACD players we pay $2,000 for in the US can be bought for $500-1,000 direct from the factories by the distributors. jeez one of the current creek units can be had for cents on the dollar! regards, tony

I am assuming dogg digital is a bogus brand? I have a couple friends who purchased speakers from these white van guys a few years ago, another brand I remember was called "dyna audio" (i guess a rip off of dynaudio). however, everyone looks their speakers up on the website (such as dogg digitals, which you must admit is very impressive and professional), which tote the speakers for 1-2K a pair. So my question is do these white van guys also spend the time to put up such a nice looking but bogus website? or is there something more that I am not aware of?

This happened to my friend here in STL near where we work. The guy called them 'Theater Research' speakers. Said they were worth $2000. Said he'd sell them for $300. Eventually, they guy said $50. Turned out to be a scam. These guys get the speaks for $50 along with a bunch of professional looking stuff (with no specs of course), and try to get up to $400 dollars out of them....

I ran into the white van scam years ago. I told the guys that I use to sell them to (I made that up). And told them I paid 50.00 for the speakers .They looked a littel surprised and said

we are paying 70.00 It wa fun fooling them into telling me the real cost.

I think at that time they were calling the speakers studio refrence.

A freind had bought a pair a year before for 300.00 and the box,s had no know address?

i had that happen a few months ago, they had picked a few too many, imagine that? so they would be willing to let a set go for 600 just so thier bosses would not know how incompetent they were. i told them i was a little strapped for cash but i would love to help for 50 a pair, they could not see thier way clear to unload for that small amount,as we all know x brand is the best, for 50 bucks a pair they would have made dandy end tables12.gif

One of my roommates bought some "Epiphany Audio" speakers out of a "white van" for $400 this last spring. On each of the boxes the suggested retail price was something absurd like $1000+ per speaker and it listed a bunch of BS specs and threw out every audio catch phrase/word, it was so ghetto (they have a homepage on Yahoo but I forget the address). I think he is exactly the type of person they target, ignorant: the speakers are currently sitting in the corner of the room because he didn't realize he would need something to power them and he refuses to pay for a receiver 14.gif.

A man and woman in a white van approached me in a Target parking lot today and offered me a full surround sound speaker system for FREE. The guy won 10 of them in a raffle. Unfortunately I was preoccupied and was unable to take them off their hands.

I bought a pair of Dogg Digital Audio speakers from a college student. They sounded aweful. Very cheaply made cabinets with cheesy black vinyl covering, cheesy metal grates over the drivers, really lightweight and cheap drivers. Terrible speakers. If I remember correctly, the tag on the speaker had a slightly different name, or spelling of the name as compared to the website. Why did I buy them? To sell on ebay and make $$. There's a market for everything.

Greg

You guys have me so paranoid that the other day a white van pulled up in front of my house and before the guy could get out I smashed his window and he drove off. Now I have to pick up all my courier packages at their main office because they won't deliver to my house anymore. Thanks guys.

The reality is youre all pretty lucky to have white vans pulling up to your house to rip you off. At least you get something out of the deal. Where I live we get vans pull up to our house but they steal your speakers and whatever else they can get their hands on leaving you with nothing. The insane part is that the past month or two they have been doing it while people are at home.