Recommend contact for cheap Monster Cables

Actually, Monster distributors are bound by their contracts to "no-compete" clauses - they're very limited to how much discount they can take off the retail price.

Best Buy has an everyday "sale" program where you can get 10% off your total interconnect purchase if you buy any 3-7 cables and/or surge suppressors with any HT purchase (might be a good excuse to snap up an SC-2 center channel?) Doesn't sound like much until you figure the average Monster purchase runs upwards of $200-300, or up to $500-700 with a Power Center.

If you need Flat Speaker wire, go to this guy on Ebay:

http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=47386740&ssPageName=L2

He has 500 Ft of flat cable for $99.00.

Unfortunately, No one place has the lowest prices on Monster Cable. Everyone pretty much sells for the same price. I think its because of Monster's pricing policies. Even on Ebay after high bidding, its rare you will even get a price discount from retail.

Some people love Monster, some people think its all marketing. I have used Acoustic Research cables and personally do not see any drop off from Monster interconnects. Thats the reason I returned all my monster interconnects to Good Guys. They were not happy with me, but I was not happy paying for just the Monster name.

Because the flat speaker cable was fairly cheap, I did use the monster speaker wire.

Phoenix Gold and Acoustic Research are good options that might save you a few dollars. I mean, if you are set on Monster, go for it. It is a great cable. In my case, the others are equally as great and I managed to save a few bucks here and there.

Know exactly( series description,product number,& list price) which cable you most want,next want,would use,etc. and search Audiogon & Ebay.Don't be in a hurry,and plan.I spent months doing this & saved over two thousand dollars on Monster Cable products.A lot of that time was wasted looking for great internet store deals.Like the above posts say,you may save a little that way,but not much.When you see a really good deal,be sure it's what you think it is-many Monster products are similar,but not the same.Have fun.

SSH

Well, YMMV, but I've seen the construction on those AR cables (a Recoton badge, just so you know) and I've auditioned quite a number of them in my studio rig - I ended up right back to Monster because, frankly, the difference was audible.

Scary part is, Monster is considered entry level by the pro studio guys I talk to on a regular basis.

----------------

On 8/29/2003 7:51:50 AM Griffinator wrote:

Well, YMMV, but I've seen the construction on those AR cables (a Recoton badge, just so you know) and I've auditioned quite a number of them in my studio rig - I ended up right back to Monster because, frankly, the difference was audible.

----------------

Which AR series did you look at? The ones at Best Buy? I admit those are cheapies, but the Pro series are quality cables comparable with Monster's IL400 series. They are less expensive than comparable Monster and use the same connectors and wiring(minus the ferrite clamp) as their expensive flagship Master series. You can find them cheap at www.ac4l.com.

You just have to match the AR level to the Monster level.

Funny, this other friend of mine who loves 2 channel stereo swears by his Radio Shack cables on his SACD player with NAD 2 channel Amp.

I think AR regular will be close to monster regular.. and so forth. I have not had the chance to use the pro series from AR yet.I have seen them and the build is much better then the regular line. Right now, I am not updating cables yet. I need better equiptment before you can tell the difference with the cables.

I also have some Phoenix Gold Silver series which I am playing with. They seem to be decently priced and decent performance too.

----------------

On 8/30/2003 2:58:45 AM chinoloco wrote:

Funny, this other friend of mine who loves 2 channel stereo swears by his Radio Shack cables on his SACD player with NAD 2 channel Amp.

----------------

I've used the RS Gold series cables and they are great for the price. They're new Fusion line of cables might even be a bit better performer than lower end Monster and middle line AR we're takling about because they have ferrite clamps to help block out EMI and RFI. One could alway purchase these separately and add them to the cable of your choice though(I'm going too).

----------------

On 8/30/2003 2:58:45 AM chinoloco wrote:

I think AR regular will be close to monster regular.. and so forth.

----------------

The Performance line(the blue ones) at Best Buy are cheapie wires, they are rebadged Solutions(BB's older cheap line, available at Partsexpress.com now) wires. The Pro series(available online and at Lowes funnily enough) is of comparable quality to the Monster that BB caries.

----------------

On 8/29/2003 2:59:52 PM Griffinator wrote:

Well, I'm always game to try new stuff. How's the Pro line optical cabling? That'd be my first stop for auditioning purposes. Speaker wire is usually another good one for A/B comparisons...
----------------

I use the a Pro line optical cable from my dvd to receiver and it does it's job well. It feels well constructed and sits tight and firm when connected. Besides doing this, all it has to do is trasnfer 1's and 0's. IMO, you will not see a difference in optical cables as long as the connectors fit fine. The signal is either there or it's not and the cables not subject to interference.

Lowes carries them as I mentioned above, but you're going to pay MSRP there. www.ac4l.com is the cheapest place I've found for their cables.