DVD PLAYERS

mando

Hello again, my next step in setting up my HT is a new DVD player. What do you guys think would be be a good option. I have decided not to get the big 300 DVD changers because I have been reading to many issues with most of them. I at least want a 5 disc version at a reasonable price say $250-350 range. I have looked at Sony, Yamaha, and Denon. What do you guys think?1.gif

Any reason you want a 5 disc player?

I'd say, if you are paying 200-300.00 area, you are best getting a single disc Denon player like the 900/910 or the Denon 1600.

The 900 has the faroudja dcdi processor and the 1600 adds DVD audio.

You might also want to consider some Panasonics too. They took some of the best picture scores in the home theater secret's DVD shootout.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/dvd-benchmark-introduction-9-2000.html

Good luck.

Right now, you can try to get the XP50 which is the same processor as the RP82s. There are 2 auctions on Ebay. The XP30 also uses the genesis dcdi chip.

Denon 1600 is slowly phasing out too. Both Panasonics and Denon 1600 got the Home Theater's Secrets Recommended award.

If you want it, better go get it now. Otherwise, the Bravo D1 is popular here and I think the samsung Dv931 is interesting since both still use the faroudja dcdi chipset.

The reason I at least want 5 disc capablity is that I also want to be able to listen to CD's on it. That is why I had also looked at getting the big Sony 300 dvd changer, but I am a little concerned that I would give up too much video quality if I do so, and it just seems that a unit that big may be more trouble than it would be worth.

I want a unit that will let me take advantage of my TV and speaker system.

TV Mitsubishi 55 diamond series

Fronts RCW-3

Center RC25

Rears RB 15

Sub RSW10

System will go in a family room that is not that big.

Look at the brand new Yamaha DVD-C940 at http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gCLD00010DVD-C940. It is built by Philips, and is essentially a Philips 963sa under the covers, which does a terrific job with video (with Faroudja), no chroma upsampling error, plays SACD, and does Redbook CD upsampling.

You might also find the older DVD-C920 on clearance, and it has DVD-A instead of SACD.