Television suggestions

Deang

I'm finally done with my two channel system, and I'm ready to do a little bit of this HT thing. I had considered getting back into vinyl, but to get to a evel that would actually satisfy me -- I would have to sell off my firstborn.

I recently purchased four sets of a very old favorite of mine off of eBay. I'm in the process of restoring these vintage Original Advent Loudspeakers for a basement HT system. Right now I'm doing the cabinets, and when I'm finished with that, I'll be rebuilding the crossovers with premium parts. I will probably DIY the sub from Parts Express.

So, by the end of winter I will be shopping for a new television and HT receiver. I may buy another CD player for my two-channel system, and move my Sony 9000es downstairs to source the HT system. I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts on this as well.

I'm stressed over the television thing. I pretty much only like direct view. Ha! I like tubes, what did you expect? There are also some space limitations, and chances are I will be forced to go with 36". I know very little about HT because I started losing track of HT technology about 4 years ago. I'm interested in televisions in the $1000 to $1500 range. I'm also interested in DVD players IF they can provide a better picture than my 9000es for $500.

I need to know what I need, to do HDTV, or if I can even do it with the money I'm willing to spend. I want to understand the difference between 1080i and that other wierd thing I can never remember. I'm curious about line doublers, and interlacers (is that what they are).

My receiver will probably end up being a used B&K.

Varied opinions would be appreciated. Senseless rambling and babbling are fine too.

Dean,

I also am looking at a bigger TV- I like the Sony Vega's..........Crutchfield.com has good pictures, and information on their tv's with helpful reviews and pictures....direct tv prices are dropping as people go for HDTV. From my understanding, HDTV won't be Mandatory until 2007 (fall), and who know what going to come out by then Technology wise.............jmho go with Sony.

Dean,

IMO you have 2 choices. Buy something inexpensive now (under $1k) and wait until 2006 when HDTV will be the standard and you will know how to best invest in a good HD unit. Or, buy an HDTV or HDTV ready tv now and spend a little more.

Are you looking for tube or projection? I went for the 34" HDTV ready W/S (biggest tube W/S available) knowing I will need to invest in a tuner down the road. The sonys are great and you can get a WEGA pretty cheap if you don't go W/S. The size of the room will also be a factor. I didn't feel a projection tv would be the best fit for my 13x24 room with the tv on the long wall. The picture is amazing and plenty big when you only sit 10' away. The downside is it weighs about a ton.

BTW, I don't know squat about the technical stuff (line doubling, etc.) so this is more of what you would call a senseless babbling post.

If you want a SONY TV at a few bucks cheaper.. buy a Toshiba. Its pretty much the same tube. Toshiba pretty much manufactures all SONY products now from the Playstation 2, the Memory stick to the CRT tubes for the TVs. Hell, Toshiba co-designed the Emotion chip for PS2 and developed the memorystick to be marketed under the SONY name.

Take it from a former SONY Electronics employee. The only thing you are getting extra for your money is the four letters of S-O-N-Y.

I used to have all SONY products in the house when I worked for them. Most of the stuff has died or broke since I left the company 3 years ago.

I still have enough friends there at SONY to get the employee discount for everything I would ever need for the rest of my life but I don't because I find other stuff much better.

OF course, this is my humble opinion.

Sometimes Sears has deals on B-stock items via ebay, I've seen a lot of Sony FD Trinitron Wega HDTVs sold for a good prices. If you get a chance I would recommend checking out the sony model #KV-40XBR800 (or the 36 inch equivelant). Its a great TV with great picture quality.

If I was to buy a 36-inch tube it would be a Monivision or Princeton Graphics. Basically a 36-inch XGA computer monitor that will display 480p, 720p, and 1080i. For home theater one of these combined with a HTPC will smoke all other tubes.

look at the Sony kp46wt510

it is a h.d. ready 46" w i d e s c r e e n rptv

it is table-top style so it doesn't have the BIG bottom part, and if you shop around, you can get one for about $1,575 !!

you may also consider a kp43ht20. it is a 4x3 h.d.ready rptv table-top style tv that you should be able to STEAL for about $1400.

lastly consider the kv36hs500/510 or kv36xbr800

they are 4x3 tube tv's (all h.d.ready)for about $1,600-$1800. STAY AWAY FROM THE 40"flat-tube sony tv!

chinoloco-

Toshiba makes Sony tubes for their tv's !??!

NO WAY!!!

avman (authorised Sony dealer)

avman-

They sure do. Sony uses many many manufacturers for their video stuff. Toshiba is one of their bigger vendors. Just like the LCDs displays for their computers. Sony doesn't manufacture many things anymore. Its more profitable to not have the overhead. Its all done very seamless to the customer. SONY's business model has changed over the years. Its more a R&D and marketing company now. You have to worked in the Japanese business culture to understand. This is very typical business practice in Japan.

sony is releasing a new FULL line of wegas.

I know not evreryone wants to spend 2500 on a tv. when I was at tweeter the other day there first shipmet of the xbr910 40" was pretty much sold already. They come in black

But the whole line is being revamped and the prices have dropped about 8%.

Dean - Seeing your thread here I thought I'd taken a wrong turn back into the 2-channel forum. Welcome! (LOL)

Don't rule out front projection. We're seeing lots of stuff happening at or near your price point, and with new models being announced at CEDIA this week you'll see existing models move to clearance prices. There are plenty of people using FP to get a 100" diagonal picture from a viewing distance of 12'.

Start hanging out over at www.avsforum.com. They have forums dedicated to direct view and projectors in different price ranges.

DD

----------------

On 9/3/2003 9:31:36 PM CO1 wrote:

Both of my projectors are shooting 100-inches and my seating is 12ft for the X1 and 10ft for the 3200MP.

----------------

CO1,

One day I'll purchase a front projector,

Do you see the rainbow effect with either the Infocus or the Dell?.....

Is there a major picture quality difference, pixel seperation, displayed between the

X1 (SVGA) and the 3200 MP (XVGA)?......

and....how does the 4:3 handle 16:9 material, in regards Letter boxing? Thanks

I had the opportunity to tour the Toshiba plant and spoke with the folks there about their market competitors. They have a lab with all the major competitors' units there undergoing testing. According to my eyes (by side by side observation) and the opinion of the techs at the plant, Mitsubishi sets the standard the others use to measure their units.