Klipsch's Officially Releases the 5.1 system

INDIANAPOLIS (May 2001) -- Klipsch Audio Technologies has introduced the THX®-Certified ProMedia 5.1 personal audio system, a six-piece, 500-watt (RMS) set of surround sound speakers that maximize audio signals from PC and Macintosh computers as well as with digital decoders and alternate input sources such as the new PlayStation 2 and forthcoming Microsoft X-Box.

The two-way ProMedia 5.1 satellite speakers include exclusive Klipsch MicroTractrix Horn tweeters that cleanly and accurately handle the high frequencies. A three-inch fiber-composite cone driver delivers smooth mid-bass reproduction. Each satellite speaker comes with a self-supporting pedestal, but Klipsch also offers accessory upgrades such as telescopic floor stands and adjustable wall brackets through the klipsch.com web site.

The magnetically shielded center channel uses the same Klipsch MicroTractrix Horn tweeter and three-inch fiber-composite cone woofer as each satellite speaker, ensuring an ideal blend and seamless driver transition. The center channel comes with rubber non-slip stabilizing feet, new spring-clip wire terminals, and a rear-post adjustment for angle optimization.

The high-output, low distortion subwoofer is a bass-reflex type with a flared, tuned front port and two 8-inch side-firing woofers. The 500-watt BASH® amplifier and Klipsch engineering offer high output with low distortion and effortless dynamic headroom. BASH® (Bridged Amplifier/Switching Hybrid) amplifiers are powerful, conventional amplifiers with digital switching-type power supplies, which are efficient, high-output, low distortion designs that deliver superior sound quality over conventional Class-D amps.

The user-friendly control tower features separate main, center, rear and subwoofer volume controls as well as a digital LED volume level display and an on/off or headphone listening mode switch. It also has two stereo miniplug jacks, one for headphone output and one for the convenient connection of portable audio devices and any other alternative source that uses a stereo miniplug output.

Reasonably priced ($399.99 U.S. MSRP) the ProMedia 5.1 will be available for purchase at specialty audio stores, and on the klipsch.com web site.

ENJOY

quote:

dont know why people would get this instead of the much cheaper 4.1 unless they wanted it for a home theater system.

Well if you read the specs you will see that the 5.1 are alot better. Forget about the centre for a sec here, the sat's are of better quality, which in turn sounds better(better tweeter and cone, and crossover), the sub is 200W instead of the 4.1's 160W sub etc... I know some people are upset with the fact that Klipsch is releasing the 5.1 just shortly after the 4.1 release, but hey that's life! I recomend if you have a good reciever or amp to ditch pc speakers and get the real deal. My 0.02c

This message has been edited by P_a_r_a_d_i_g_m on 05-24-2001 at 01:11 AM

Ya i think people are stupid, a wowed by specs. Everyone raved about the pros and how sweet they sounded and when i got them i was dissapointed. Yes they are the best sounding computer speakers, but computers speakers are no match to HT speakers. They pro's dont sound that good and are nothing compared to good HT. Instead of using the pros as a cheap alternative to a good HT system just get a proper one. Besides a real HT is many many more uses, and with a good amp you got lotsa **** to play with.

It's really sad that there are pro bashers on the Klipsch bulletin board. For HT people TWO WORDS, KLIPSCH REFERENCE! You should stay off the pro boards if all you are going to do is tell people to by paradigm. It is true that ht speakers are better, but not for your pc. No one cares if you have really awesome dd 5.1 sound on your 17" monitor.

I spent 550 dollars canadian on the pros and i love them. I am not a pro basher i just disagree with the new 5.1's. There was a good year or year and a half betweeen the v2-400's and the 4.1's. An 2 months is not much time between the 4.1's and the 5.1's. And i am almost positive that sales will suffer becuase of that. BAAD marketing. Mainly cause people who loved the 2.400's or people who wanted them jumped on the 4.1 bandwagon. 2months later for people that bought them when they first came out, or maybe even a few weeks later for a lot , a new set just comes out. Do you really think people are gonna upgrade to a much more expensive system after having the 4.1's for only a few months at the max? The answer is definatly NO. People will buy them that dont have pro's, but im positive that people who already have 4.1's will not buy them.. unless money is absolutley no object and they must have the best. But unfortunatly i am not made of money. I am 17 and saved for a long time to get the 4.1s.

I agree with you and I was referring to Paradigm. I just think that Klipsch wants to target every high end speaker type. You would be suprised how many people will by cs because of the 5.1 and the decoder. Now that klipch has 5.1, they can compete on all levels, except for a decoder, but you can always buy a seperate one anyway. I was one of the lucky/smart ones who realized that the diff between the v.2-400 and the 4.1 was nothing more than a crossover change with a few minor adjustments. If I want good music I can always use my Sennheisers. I am looking forward to having a dual 8" sub under my pc this summer.

Yea, Computer DVD systems, unless you have a Dedicated HTPC, are generally only good for one or two people, sitting close to the monitor...

I mean, if you had that 24" widescreen Sony FW900 monitor, and the Klipsch 5.1 Pro's, the sweet spot MIGHT be a bit bigger, but, still, compared to what you could get for that amount of money if you got a dedicated home theater, it would still be small...

------------------

"Feh."

quote:

It's really sad that there are pro bashers on the Klipsch bulletin board.

I'm not bashing the pro's, i was making the point that for the price of the 5.1 you might as well get HT speakers.

quote:

For HT people TWO WORDS, KLIPSCH REFERENCE

TWO WORDS for you "Overpriced", "not-worth-it"

Paradigm will put to shame any thing Klipsch throws at it, which leads me to my next point

quote:

You should stay off the pro boards if all you are going to do is tell people to by paradigm.

I'm doing them a favour by telling them about PARADIGM. Again this comes back to the new 5.1's i'm letting people know for that price you can get much, much better.

Oh and trust me if they herd the Paradigm cinema series to the klipsch 5.1's they would throw them out the window, NO JOKE.

I'm going to have to disagree with the overpriced statement. If you checked the price on their high end stuff you would know that they aren't over priced, and I'm not talking about the website. I also have a few questions. Do you own promedias with the new crossover? And when you say paradigm will make you throw your pros out the window, how so? Are they louder, better sounding, with a better sub? You know most people on these boards don't live in or close to canada, so telling them to go there just to buy paradigm and a new reciever doesn't make any sense. The other thing is that the pros are pc speakers. I'd have to say that putting a pair of ht speakers in front of your pc isn't the smartest thing. You should consider that the sound quality isn't good enough to take full advantage of them, and watching dvds on your computer doesn't compare to a tv.

quote:

And when you say paradigm will make you throw your pros out the window, how so? Are they louder, better sounding, with a better sub?

Yes, Yes, yes.......I can see your not in the audiophile busniess. Anyone who is and knows there stuff, praises the name PARADIGM. All there speakers can match up and if not sound better than other spekers twice the price. For instance a 300 hundred dollar pair of PARADIGMS sounds better than a $600 speaker from the another brand name. Here is a review of the "PARADIGM cinema series" from SOUND&VISION a very highly respected magazine. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/SoundAndVision/FrameSet/TestReports/Paradig m1227/paradigmp01.html

Read it, you will enjoy, I promise!!!

quote:

You know most people on these boards don't live in or close to canada, so telling them to go there just to buy paradigm and a new reciever doesn't make any sense.

Who's said any thing about having to go to Canada to get them. They sell them in the states everywhere.

quote:

I'd have to say that putting a pair of ht speakers in front of your pc isn't the smartest thing. You should consider that the sound quality isn't good enough to take full advantage of them, and watching dvds on your computer doesn't compare to a tv

Fisrt of it's obvious your not familiar what i'm talking about, the PARADIM cienma series are satellites so putting them near your computer is no different than the pro's.

ANyhow read the review i posted up there.

This message has been edited by P_a_r_a_d_i_g_m on 05-27-2001 at 09:00 PM

paradigm, open your eyes, there are speakers out there that will put you cinema series to shame. you might say " well they cost way more! " well then i can say to you this: for $250 go find something better than the klipsch, including amp, sub , and 4 sats. good try... but you cant find anything.. so no point in compareing your "over priced" paradigms to the pros, and im not talking second hand stuff with no warranty.

Ive heard the the cinema series and they are NOTHING to rave about, epecially for that price.

So if your the messiah and are here to save the world and tell everyone why YOU think paradigm is superior to klipsch then im just gonna ignore you, cause all you are doing is basing your opinions off of a HT magazine... " Oh they said it was better... so im going to have to think the same way" only way is to do some AB tests for yourself, everyones got different preferences. if you wanna look for a company to bash, why dont you go over to the Bose forums or something.... they at least have a reason to get flamed for, not klipsch.

------------------

Download the latest ver. of Klipsch 3d Animation:

http://blake.prohosting.com/~swerv/subwoofer4.avi

P,

I have heard the Cinema Series by Paradigm hooked up to a Denon 1601. Good, but they don't out perform my V.2-400's. For a powered system that includes every speaker for a HT 400USD is a steal, especially when you consider that the 5.1's accept line level inputs for all channels, anybody could go out and buy a Denon 1801 and run the preouts to the sub and use the 5.1's as there new home theare set up. I bought the v.2-400's when they first came out and then 4 months later I went out and bought the entire reference series from Klipsch. I auditioned the top Paradigm Studio 100 and I went home with Klipsch. I will admit that I do own on Paradigm product and that is the PW-2200 sub, it kicks butt. The cinema series aren't better than everything else out there, why don't you recommend the Energy take 5.2 or encore?

quote:

... but you cant find anything.. so no point in comparing your "over priced" paradigms to the pros,

That's one of the most stupidest things I have ever heard, you obviously know nothing about HT speakers to be saying that. Paradigms are the most affordable speakers ever made. When you pay say 400 for a pair of paradigm speakers they are really worth 800. They can do this cause there able to cut the R&D price in half, which no other speaker company in the world can do, but they also have patents in there speaker tech that many other companys would die for.

quote:

I've heard the cinema series and they are NOTHING to rave about, especially for that price.

If this is true than you might as well buy yourself BOSE speakers cause it seems to me you do not have audiophile ears. Yes go get yourself a pair of paper cone overpriced BOSE speakers I know you will enjoy them.

quote:

cause all you are doing is basing your opinions off of a HT magazine... " Oh they said it was better...

Are you a Moron, who said I was basing my opinions from a magazine, I just put that review up their cause it was the newest on the net. Heck Ill tell you what Im basing my opinion on. First off I have heard all the speakers Paradigm has made, second Every high respected audiophile magazine in the world praises Paradigm and declares them the winner. How can other speakers even compete with them, when they are almost half the price, it's just not possible.

Yes people do have different tastes, I understand that, but regardless of taste as many of the High-Fi reviews have said, "Paradigms just sound too good for the price".

This message has been edited by P_a_r_a_d_i_g_m on 05-27-2001 at 01:45 PM

quote:

I have heard the Cinema Series by Paradigm hooked up to a Denon 1601. Good, but they don't out perform my V.2-400's.

LOL, LOL that's most funniest **** I have ever heard.

Here I was telling Swerv to buy himself a pair of bose, but you know what I think you and BOSE will get along real nice.pi_am15.jpg

Granted you have your own opinions but Im convinced that there are not well placed. Please what you have just said about the pro's sounding better than the Paradigms do not ever say that to an audiophile or well-trained speaker dealer.

One thing I have noticed though, people whom do not have musical ears usually don't find

PARADIGM, KEFF-(another amazing speaker company) or B&W that impressive. If you are one of the them, then save yourself the money.

quote:

I auditioned the top Paradigm Studio 100 and I went home with Klipsch

So you auditoned this speaker(Paradigm 100'sStudio100v2.jpg

I bet I know why you choose the Klipsch. First off the thing that bothers me about Klipschs which is also the thing I Like about them, is that there speakers "Color the Sound" in order to make the music more vibrant and Energetic.

To the average consumer this might impress them, Although the smart audiophile wants a speaker that clearly and accurately reproduces the sound and will go the Paradigm route. Now if money is not an object, them Paradigm isn't the speaker you want considering the most expensive Paradigm speaker is $2000 Canadian

Though keep in mind that speaker can rival ones that go for 4000.

ALSO KILPSCH HT arn't even popular anymore like they used to be many years ago, now they are just known as a loud speaker.

Anyhow that's my 0.02c

This message has been edited by P_a_r_a_d_i_g_m on 05-27-2001 at 02:40 PM