kg 4 repair/upgrade

pappy

the wife returned from a weekend yardsale with a pair of kg 4 speakers. they play but both need new 8' mid/woofers and new passives. in fact one pair of 8's has been replaced with what looks to be a n 8'klh or advent type woofer. can i get replacements through klipsch or some other outlet? are there any alternatives that might work as well or should i stay with the original replacement parts? crossover upgrade? thanks in advance.

Klipsch no longer has the original K-8-K woofers. Their replacement is the K-3-K (part # 120807). $80 each.

As of a couple years back (according to the price list I have), the passive radiator is available. It's a KD-12, part number 121251, $44 each.

Call Klipsch in the morning to confirm.

fini

I have a pair of KD-12 PRs for sale. They look to be in perfect working order. Cosmetically they look great except the dust caps are pressed in (this has absolutely no effect on sound). I also have the full list of Theile-Small specifications on the K-8-K woofer (that might help you find a suitable/cheaper replacement) than I'll throw in as part of the deal. Email me if you are interested or want to see some pics.

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I have a pair of 4 ohm KG4's dated 1985 on the back. They have been wonderful speakers but there is one problem I have always had with one of them. The rear 12" radiator was slit around the rubber edge for about 2 inches when I bought them used in 1992. I applied some silicone to patch it up but it was no replacement for the elasticity of the rubber. I just recently decided to look around on the web for an answer when I came across a site selling the re-edge kits for woofers. These kits are for foam though I think, and again, no replacement for the rubber on the KG4's. Just wondering if you had any answers for me or even if you still have replacement parts for these. One other thing, these radiators have the Klipsch logo on the dust caps which I haven't seen on any other KG4's. Is this rare?

Thanks for any help you could throw my way,

Jon

I sold my PRs to Pappy. You might try finding a local speaker repair shop or else contact Orange County Speaker; maybe you can find someone who can replace the surround placed with something equivalent. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call 1-800-KLIPSCH just to confirm they still don't have them.

----------------

On 9/1/2003 12:19:07 PM pappy wrote:

the wife returned from a weekend yardsale with a pair of kg 4 speakers. they play but both need new 8' mid/woofers and new passives. in fact one pair of 8's has been replaced with what looks to be a n 8'klh or advent type woofer. can i get replacements through klipsch or some other outlet? are there any alternatives that might work as well or should i stay with the original replacement parts? crossover upgrade? thanks in advance.

----------------

I've also seen replacement KG4 parts on ebay fairly regularly.

If there are indeed two identical working "replacement" woofers on one of the speakers, try splitting them up between the two speakers and check how it sounds.

Some hunting on the web might reveal a suitable butyl surround repair kit for the passive radiator. Partsexpress's kits seem to be foam. Here's a possible replacement for the PR. Among other things, you'd want to be sure the mounting dimensions work. Don't have my KG4's in front of me, so I can't check 'em.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-496

I would suggest getting your KG's up, running and listen to them a while before considering a crossover upgrade. The parts are on a small board and putting in decent inductors is no small feat! 6.gif

• 16 years later...

Hello I have a pair of kg4’s been excellent speakers always sounded a step above the rest, the surrounds cracked finally found replacement on eBay not quite same size anyway reason I’m posting When I took the two mids I would call them Out of each speaker I noticed a 12 inch woofer coming out the back has no magnet no wires running to it?? Are they missing they’re not in the boxes they didn’t fall off and laying in the bottom did they put them on those speakers?? I know I have four klipsch heresies And those all have the woofers  hooked up, I’ve never run into this before any information out there would be greatly appreciated!! That and I  need to come up for  surrounds. I have some liquid rubber I’m gonna try got nothing to lose they be cracked way it is

7 hours ago, Jeff Shell said:

noticed a 12 inch woofer coming out the back has no magnet no wires running to it??

Welcome to the Forum!

What You found is what is called a "passive radiator", it enhances the bass-performance of the original KG4. It has no wires attached to it, that is normal, it runs without power.

11 hours ago, Jeff Shell said:

Hello I have a pair of kg4’s been excellent speakers always sounded a step above the rest, the surrounds cracked finally found replacement on eBay not quite same size anyway reason I’m posting When I took the two mids I would call them Out of each speaker I noticed a 12 inch woofer coming out the back has no magnet no wires running to it?? Are they missing they’re not in the boxes they didn’t fall off and laying in the bottom did they put them on those speakers?? I know I have four klipsch heresies And those all have the woofers  hooked up, I’ve never run into this before any information out there would be greatly appreciated!! That and I  need to come up for  surrounds. I have some liquid rubber I’m gonna try got nothing to lose they be cracked way it is

can you post a pic of the cracked surrounds?  cracking is very common on the kg4 for some reason & it usually isnt on the moving part of the surround, its more often on the non moving edges that are glued to the frame.  if thats the case they dont need to be replaced since the cracks dont leak air & arent in the moving area. 

& as mentioned, the rear is not a powered woofer, its how the cabinet is tuned for the bass, many other popular klipsch models use this like the quartet, forte & chorus2. speakers should be placed in or near a corner for best bass but out about a foot or so from the rear wall.