Suggestions for amp/pre-amp?

mamacmil

The 950/7100 is absolutly amazing ... it would cost a great deal more to get just a little better sound quality .... they are hefty and contain top flight parts ... the 950 has a built in AM/FM tuner section as a kind of bonus...they do not waste any money on apearances however ... they are basically plain-jane black boxes ... what's really impressive is the way they sound ... Not the way they look.

Search out the reviews on the net and in the magazines ... Outlaw components get rave reviews ... lots of "best buys" and "editor's choice awards" ...

----------------

On 9/12/2003 2:05:02 PM DrPyro wrote:

As for the pre/pro, the outlaw is a good unit very competativly priced. However, they have had some dificulities with the units, ground noise amoung others. So I would almost shy away from them.

----------------

Dave,

It is my understanding, that these issues were only in the initial units sold. I know they have revised some of the hardware and software to eliminate these issues. Is this wrong?

Yes, it was a problem with *many* of the first versions, along with some DSP codec problems. They have since fixed the problem, from what reports I have seen. I was making an assumption (dangerous, I know) that since he bought a used amp, he might also buy a used Outlaw and I was just trying to warn him to be careful. I guess I wasn't really clear. They definatly win in the bang for the buck area, but do look a little "cheap", IMO. Pretty is as pretty does, I guess.

Outlaw'a amazing customer service made all the initial problems right ... they will actually ship you a replacement unit free of charge BEFORE you return your unit along with prepaid return labels. The 950/7100 is so quiet that, even with Klipschorns, when I turn it all the way up I can hardly tell it's on! Scarry since if you started playing something at that level (full volume) it could probably hurt you!

----------------

On 9/12/2003 2:05:02 PM DrPyro wrote:

if you like the sound of the parasound under those conditions. If you do then you can get two parasound monoblocks for the RF-7s...

----------------

Dave, I wasn't aware that Parasound's classic line had any monoblocks? The only one I knew of from them was the Halo JC-1, which is $4000.