THE BEST EQUALIZER?

dodger

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That really is going to depend on what you are trying to do with it.

For a more advanced type of tone control a 10 band 1 octave EQ will work well but that same EQ would be pretty horrible for other EQ uses.

A 30 band 1/3 octave EQ is more for a set and forget it type of system where you subtly alter your speakers characteristics. But in the bass that doesn't really have enough resolution either to try to tackle room problems. And with 30 bands it isn't as useful as a type of tone control.

For room problems a parametric EQ can work well but they are harder to setup and really don't work well for tone control duties.

Shawn

Well you will get varying opinions on this one, but the best equalizer ever made was the DBX 14/10 computerized equalizer/analyzer it can auto eq a rooms response in 15 seconds, this can also be done from 10 different positions and recalled from memory. It can measure line voltage and SPL on two different scales, it has NO sliders or trim pots to introduce noise, has constant "Q" to minimize/eliminate any bleed over between frequencies, it features more bands in the critical bass range. It has a HFR High Frequency Roll Off button if the room is too bright, etc., etc. The features are endless. For a cut only equalizer you can find a White or Wright Instruments equalizer. I don't think you really need a 31 band per channel eq unless you have some serious room issues. An Alesis MEQ-230 can be had cheaply, their is also Rane, Audio Control (C-131 Mono's & R-131 Display), a Technics SH-8065 (31 bands per channel), Behringer, etc. etc. depends on what you need it for and how much you want to spend I suppose. I will have a DBX 14/10 in my possession later this week that I plan to offer for sale.

Today's EQ pretty much suck, IMO. We now have pre-programed eq's already within our systems. For instance next to DP II we have rock, jazz, hall, music 1, music 2 etc.

I would look on ebay for a DBX or ADC eq from the Eighties. Not sure of model numbers. I guess I am dating myself.

just say no......

even the best equalizers available will add noise to your system.... esp. with high efficiency klipsch speakers.....

not to mention that all signal processors do just that....they "process the signal".... changing it to something else.... personally, i want to insert as little as possible between the source (cd, vinyl, etc.) and the speakers

just look at the majority of the forum members on this board.... only a very few use any sort of an equalizer and/or processors....

you are much better off to try different speaker placement and/or room treatments to solve your problems......

----------------

On 9/3/2003 4:38:35 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Win-

What specifically are you trying to accomplish with an EQ?

I'll be back online tomorrow.

Ben

----------------

Hi Ben:

First, thank you all for responding. I do appreciate that and bringing more out than what's the best equalizer.

One room is horrendous for acoustics. Due to marriage, furnishings and dimensions, I am limited to what I can do to improve sonic quality.

Thus I look to an equalizer that will not distort, muddy up, or perform horribly. The DBX sounds like a solution, please contact me.

If there are higher quality to give a natural sound, that is my goal.

Thanks,

Win dodger

Despite what one of the previous posters has stated, I have "0" noise in my system and I am using all the Heritage Big Boys thank you very much. All my units are hooked to a premium DBX Program Route Selector that I can switch in and out at my choosing, or individual units at my choosing.

The DBX 5BX-DS is perhaps the most sophiscated independently adjustable 5-band Computer Controlled Dynamic Range Controller ever created and can even make a "DDD" recorded CD sound better without introducing a single artifact. It has five bands of independently adjustable impact restoration so I can firm up a snare drum while the rest of the recording plays along. You cannot associate this unit with any other DBX unit produced in the past, there is absolutely no comparison. It was never even officially offered for sale in the US, until you have heard one of these units specifically I don't know how you can pass judgement based on a DBX processor unit that you may have heard in the past.

As far as the DBX 14/10 is concerned it was the most advanced equalizer ever designed and built for home use - period! It is also very rare, their is no information on the web about them and they only pass through eBay on very rare occassion. I have an Audio or Stereophile review on the unit that was written by the very people that do not really care for equalizers at all and it drew their praise. This unit has the capabilites of the finest RTA's like the Audio Control 3050A or equivalent.

I agree if you don't have specific room issues perhaps you are better off without an equalizer. In order for anyone to benefit from an equalizer one must know how to use it correctly, the 14/10 takes the guess work out of it by equalizing the room for you, right to your sitting position, and 9 other positions if you like and they can be stored in memory for instant recall. It measures line voltage or SPL in real-time, the display also moves in real-time and you can slow it down to better view the response curve.

Yes, equalizers are not for everyone but I enjoy the benefits of mine and what it can do for me when called upon.

"Despite what one of the previous posters has stated, I have "0" noise in my system and I am using all the Heritage Big Boys thank you very much. All my units are hooked to a premium DBX Program Route Selector that I can switch in and out at my choosing, or individual units at my choosing.

The DBX 5BX-DS is perhaps the most sophiscated independently adjustable 5-band Computer Controlled Dynamic Range Controller ever created and can even make a "DDD" recorded CD sound better without introducing a single artifact. It has five bands of independently adjustable impact restoration so I can firm up a snare drum while the rest of the recording plays along. You cannot associate this unit with any other DBX unit produced in the past, there is absolutely no comparison. It was never even officially offered for sale in the US, until you have heard one of these units specifically I don't know how you can pass judgement based on a DBX processor unit that you may have heard in the past.

As far as the DBX 14/10 is concerned it was the most advanced equalizer ever designed and built for home use - period! It is also very rare, their is no information on the web about them and they only pass through eBay on very rare occassion. I have an Audio or Stereophile review on the unit that was written by the very people that do not really care for equalizers at all and it drew their praise. This unit has the capabilites of the finest RTA's like the Audio Control 3050A or equivalent."

i really find it amazing that such a unit existed once and never again....was never offered in the u.s..... and that no other manufacturers offered anything comparable..... i am not doubting you....but it is amazing!!!!!

and it is still a fact that 99% or more of the members of this forum DO NOT USE AND EQUALIZER....

your UNIQUE combination of equalizer and/or processors might do a good job for your situation..... but it doesn't really apply to this discussion if the equipment you are talking about IS NOT AVAILABLE!!!!

"and it is still a fact that 99% or more of the members of this forum DO NOT USE AND EQUALIZER...."

So?

How many have tried using the proper type of EQ for the job at hand and spent the time learning it and having the proper tools needed to set it up?

Lots of people say EQ stinks without ever hearing it properly used. Just like plenty say the same thing about Klipsch speakers, or vinyl or tubes.

Shawn

I used an Audio Control C-101 EQ for years with my SS Kenwood and it really made a huge difference for the better (with cornwalls). I unhooked it about 2 months ago from my scott and don't miss it at all. The one advantage it gave me with the scott was additional headroom which I don't often need. I don't know how much power it added but 9:00 became 7:00 when turned on and set to flat.

I guess it depends on your room and your equipment.

Win,

When you come visit (this weekend?) I'll give you a demo.

Gary,

The C-101 was a 10 band full octave EQ... correct? Like I said about they are handy as a sort of recording specific tone control but they are useless for correcting room problems as the bands are far too wide.

A 10 band full octave EQ is *very* different then a 30band unit or esp. a parametric unit.

Shawn

I must have missed Minn's poll of the forum folks to see which ones are using some sort of Eq'ing or not since not everyone posts their equipment lists. Plus those folks that lurk and read and do not post. If you turn the treble or bass knob one notch in either direction you are Eq'ing the signal!

The DBX 231 is a pro-gear unit I would not expect it to have a S/N ratio of better than 105db like a good quality consumer equalizer or higher, it may be closer to 85db or so, it was designed for pro use after all where it is not pertinent. If you get noise in your system when you add an Eq you are amplifying what was already there! Proper Eq'ing doesn't and shouldn't require big changes from the center (flat) position otherwise you are using the Eq as an amplifier and a poor one will add phase shifts.

I have a Sansui SE-99 Compu-equalizer in my bedroom that has a S/N Ratio of 120db and the adjustments are made via a fiber optic light pen, no trim pots, sliders, nada! Noise free baby!

You missed the part of my post that said equalizers are not for everybody, and if you don't need one or want one that is perfectly fine but when you throw out generalized statements without any facts it becomes annoying.

It can be a useful tool in the right hands, I only use mine for Sat Dish listening, some older analog CD's, and especially some records. During HT sessions I am running in the Digital domain and it becomes a moot point.

----------------

On 9/4/2003 2:00:37 PM sfogg wrote:

Gary,

The C-101 was a 10 band full octave EQ... correct? Like I said about they are handy as a sort of recording specific tone control but they are useless for correcting room problems as the bands are far too wide.

A 10 band full octave EQ is *very* different then a 30band unit or esp. a parametric unit.

Shawn

----------------

Very true. They have nice EQ recording features along with a pink noise generator and spectrum analyzer. Even with only 10 bands, it seemed to be a needed addition to my kenwood but with the scott I could adjust for hours on end without the desired results.

BTW,

I never had a problem with added noise with my unit. My guess is maybe some of the cheaper EQs would have noise issues but I know the Audio Control never did.

----------------

On 9/4/2003 2:01:43 PM Frzninvt wrote:

I only use mine for Sat Dish listening, some older analog CD's, and especially some records. During HT sessions I am running in the Digital domain and it becomes a moot point.

----------------

Frzninvt, does this mean that if I do all my listening to movies and cd's using digital connections (which I do), an EQ would be pointless? EQ's are only good for analog signals?

"I must have missed Minn's poll of the forum folks to see which ones are using some sort of Eq'ing or not since not everyone posts their equipment lists."

i stand corrected.... let me re-state.... other than your equipment list frz, i do not recall seeing ANY forum member list an EQUALIZER and/or SOUND PROCESSOR in their equipment list....

come to think of it.... in the many forums that i have visited, i don't remember seeing any equalizer listed by any of the members on those forums either.....

as for my "generalized statements"..... they are based upon many years of auditioning professional equalizers and sound processors - many of them costing well over $1000.....

i admit that i have never auditioned any "high quality consumer equalizers".... come to think of it - i have never heard of any "high quality consumer equalizers"..... other than your discontinued dbx units, what "high quality consumer equalizers" are available?????

please include websites....

thanks

"Frzninvt, does this mean that if I do all my listening to movies and cd's using digital connections (which I do), an EQ would be pointless?  EQ's are only good for analog signals?"

Many EQs are analog devices so they are fed an analog line level signal. This doesn't mean you couldn't use one though, it would go between your Parasound and your amps.

Shawn