THE BEST EQUALIZER?

dodger

Greetings:

Having worked in a Studio (Muscle Shoals, AL), Engineered live sound and recordings of both I know the day to day reality is the use of equalization and processing.

That said, the room is not close to the proper ratios of height to width to length. The furniture in the room is such that moving it would not be a good option.

I have experimented with speaker placement and still have been left wanting.

Tuning the room with baffles, foam, heavy drapes would tend to help one area while rendering other frequencies incorrect.

The argument of HT is moot as I have two (2) channel systems.

So that leaves a need for strengthening certain frequencies.

Having worked in the Sound field I am familiar with the professional and the cost.

Thus my question was put to the members who may have used and have experience with units that are not gold priced. Equalizers are necessary to achieve proper RIAA equalization as one case.

Ben came very close to what my purpose in posting was. We will have to get together.

Perhaps the Cornwall IIs and their size and response will render my question a passing fancy.

As for purists vs those that equalize it is a matter of taste and preference. There is no ONE (1) answer. Though even with a "purist" Pre-Amplifier or Amplifier, tube selection can cause changes in sonic clarity, tone, "warmth," definition and soundstage.

And with the case of additional distortion through adding an equalizer, processer, any piece of equipment, you have to deal with the basic distortion of the units - pre-amp, amp - plus the distortion added by the source, i.e. FM broadcast, CD, LP.

Then we go back to my always present point of hearing curve. Additionally room acouistics, standing waves, rooms that are bright and dimensions.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. You have all made points - personal opinion and fact. That makes for a thread that is quite valuable.

HT can have some impact in two (2) channel through technolgy improvement. I don't dismiss a connection. In most things, there is some point of analog even if in the amplifiers, microphones, or board.

You have helped me and no doubt, this thread will give valuable information to others.

I will give a report as to whether the Cornwall IIs improve, increase, or nullify the problems.

In closing, I feel that to agree to disagree is the most adult, the highest form of intelligence ina debate or recommendation. It proves that each respects the other's opinion and shows their respect for each other as humans. That is the way it should be.

Thank You all for your knowledge that you have imparted.

Win dodger

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Win-

Didn't know you had pro experience in the studio. (Cool-Muscle Shoals!!) I knew you had a significant musical background, though. I don't know if I could offer a level of training or expertise above yours, but sometimes an extra head and set of ears is just the ticket to a breakthrough. Even if that's not the case, it would still be worth the time to get together. (I'll also keep you posted regarding my living room ®evolution with the Khorns.)

Did you get my email response earlier in the week?

Regards,

Ben

Greetings:

There is much that to which I have not opened up.

That gives others the ability to not think he knows it all or to be afraid to say anything. Life is continual learning.

A good part of that learning is getting our heads together. The experience I have does not qualify me in every area.

I received an email, I'll have to check when it came. But I fully agree that we should get together as your experiences are different than mine and your solutions may completely differ also.

But it was fun down there. A little here, a little there - a good number of the things I have done may come out. Especially when it can possibly bolster a point.

Baltimore bound and Cornwall IIs coming home. There is another piece coming as a result of another trade.

I'm getting the money together for a pair of SET amplifiers to which I have been extended great courtesy.

Take Care I'm going off-line now so you keep everyone having fun!

Can't wait to hear your system or reports on it.

Win dodger

Win, if your're going to use EQ (ugh), I would definetly consider a parametric equalizer so you can vary the the center frequency & bandwidth. Unfortunately, the trade-off is that for a given price range you get fewer bands (albeit with more flexibility). There are some vintage SAE para metrics out there that should be fairly cheap. Something with many parametric bands like the Focusrite Red is $2,600. Honestly, I've never heard one that I couldn't 'hear' even when it's supposedly bypassed. And also consider that EQ causes phase shift.