KLF30 vs. KSP400

Flason

Just like some of you out there, I seek sonic satisfaction albeit with a modest budget. I currently own a pair of KLF30's powered by a Yamaha 100X5 amp(RXV2095). I was at my local Hi-Fi shop and eyed a pair of KSP400's. These have been in the shop for quite sometime and, always curious I asked how much they were. Before they told me I took a little listen to them. They even A/B'd them with the KLF30's. During that short time(It was during my lunch hour), I thought the highs weren't so bright, the mids seemed to come alive and the lows appeared very deep. They sounded different than the KLF's, but I can't really say better. And at $700 with warranty for a pair of $3500 speakers, I needed to take them on a 60 day home evaluation. Now here's the part I have to question. After connecting them at home and playing some of my music, I noticed that one of the 6.5" drivers was bad. Lots a vibrating coming from it. I also discovered that these are unable to attain the sheer ba**s to the walls volume as the KLF's and although I will eventually buy a separate amp, I do not need to incur that debt right now. So here's the question(s): 1. Should I take these back for repair or 2.take them back altogether? 3.Will this search for sonic nirvana keep pulling me to more audio shops looking for the "perfect" speakers? 4.Does anyone out there have any opinions about the match-up\difference of these 2 gigantic speakers? Sure would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks.

flason, i think a comparison to the 30s without a sub is apples & oranges in the bass dept. i mean the ksp w/ the built in powered subs & all. but if the klf-30 still kick them in bass, then i guess that says something for the 30s. though i would think the 400s would have more poweful & lower bass extension than subless 30s; but, we know those 30s have that tight & slammin bass. Smile.gif

as far as comparing the highs & mids, probably up to personal tastes.

i've never heard ksp, but did once own rp-3 then rp-5 powered towers. i much prefer the klf-30 & vel hgs-18 to the old rp-5.

i know talktokeith has the ksp 300 & i think he's heard the klf-30...

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-23-2001 at 11:17 PM

Flason, was that you that e-mailed me the other day? If so I deleted your e-mail along with others by mistake.I'm an e-mail klutz.Sorry.

First I would like to say that you should have the speakers repaired so that you can make a fair comparison between the two.If you don't like them then,

and they are absolutely perfect cosmetically,you can sell them to me for $710 and make yourself some money. I'll need directions from Birmingham.

Let me cut to the chase.Not only are there lots of different makes and models of automobiles made,then you have different colors available for each.You see, everyone is different.Same goes for ice cream.What I like in a loudspeaker means absolutely nothing to the next guy.I will tell you this.Those nose bleed highs are not present in the 400's.The 30's bass output cannot compare to your 400's.The sheer clarity and the subdued highs are what attracted me to the Premiere line.You will not need a separate sub.You WILL need to spend some time adjusting the lows so as to not overpower the mid/highs and "muddy" the sound.The maximum output of your 400's is 117dB per stereo pair,according to Klipsch literature.You will need to consider availability of the matching center and surround speakers.Correctly set up and properly adjusted,the Legends simply cannot hold a candle to the Klipsch Synergy Premiere 400's in either the low end or the ear friendly upper end.Thats the reason I bought seven of the KSP300's.And four pair of KSP-S6's.And a wheelbarrow full of the centers.I love em so much that I'm making sure my friends have their own Klipsch Synergy Premiere speakers so that when I visit I can listened to music without the ear bleed highs.

Hope I've answered your question Flason.The speakers are OK.I am not an expert.Thank goodness!

Keith

Thanks for the replys. I didn't mention that I also have a Velodyne sub that I used for comparison at home. With the KLF's, the bass intergration is supurb. With the KSP's, the house feels like your on the "magic fingers" at the local Holiday Inn. It got the kids pretty riled-up last night while playing something of of Liquid Soul's "Make Some Noise" cd. I still question the sheer volume of each of these sets. Like when you are having a few adult beverages and you want to re-live the '70's arena concert days. This is where I believe the KLF's shine. Seems the KSP's can't keep up with them in that area. Of course, the clarity and tonal balance is where the KSP's shine. I believe that is the question. I feel I'm on a long expensive road to redesigning my house to afford Klipschorn's. Do you see where I'm going with this? I really appreciate the input. Keith, that was me who mailed you. Thanks for your reply's. Mike

Flason,I'm beginning to remember now.I received your e-mail with no identification or return address,other than your first name.I like to know whom I'm talking to.Disregard that response.

You have hit the nail on the head as to the differences

in the two.The difference is hard to describe.They are both excellant speakers.Perhaps the largest factor in the sound of the 400's,as probably any other speaker, is room acoustics.My friends 300's sound different than

mine.The biggest problem I've noticed with the 400's is

that they are so versatile they can be confusing to set-up and adjust correctly.But once that has been done

and you put your matching center in place the differences are readily apparent.I love the mids of the

30's but at higher volumes the highs become too much for my ears.This is where the Premiere's shine.If you think you've heard some differences now,wait until you drop that C6 in place with your 400's.WOW! Don't even think about using the C7 with the 400's.

And Mike,I use my 300's primarily for music.Don't care so much about the HT.I run L/R front and L/R rear 300's

in direct mode.Love em.If I can help you find the matching center and surrounds let me know.They are like

the 400's and 300's.Disappearing quickly.Enjoy.

Keith

PS Get them on spikes.Replace gold jumpers with something like 12 ga Monster cable.Use line level to powered subs,if possible.

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/klipsch-ksp300.html

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 05-24-2001 at 11:02 AM

Not to offend, but for me the KSP400s just didn't do it. Maybe it was the set-up or maybe my middle aged ears just need that extra zip in the lower tweeter range. I heard them in direct comparison to Definitive Technology BP-2000s and to klipschorns. Again, to me, the KSP400 sounded a little muffled and closed in, and the klipschorns, well I bought them so that kinda tells you what I thought of them!

I just have always preferred the sound of klipsch horn-loaded mid drivers over their less "horny" designs. But to each his own! I'd advise to just follow your ears. Whichever works for you on your favorite music.

happy listening,

------------------

JDMcCall

Legends can't compare to the Premiere line? To you...

I have even seen BobG remark how he has sometimes wished the Premieres could do some of the things the Legends do with ease. The two lines have their + and - but to say that one can't even compare with the other just doesn't seem fair.

I personally liked the Legends more then the Premiere line overall. I like it loud thou and the Legends seem to just be getting started when I through everything I've got at them. They really are the "show it off" speaker.

As you said It's all personal preference anyway.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 05-25-2001 at 06:22 PM

Well if everyone would re-read Flason's original question you will find that he asked if anyone had any OPINIONS.And I offered mine.Fact is I said the BASS OUTPUTof the 30's CANNOT COMPAREto the BASS OUTPUTof the 400's.As I TRIEDto infer sound is subjective.I simply offered what Flason asked for-MY OPINION!.Thank You. Smile.gif

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 05-27-2001 at 07:44 AM

quote:

Before they told me I took a little listen to them. They even A/B'd them with the KLF30's. During that short time(It was during my lunch hour), I thought the highs weren't so bright, the mids seemed to come alive and the lows appeared very deep.

t to K,

...Yes, EXACTLY like the ice cream remark. Plain vanilla for me, thank you very much!

The Definitive Technology BP2000 is, to put it bluntly, one heck of good sounding speaker. (I hope my strong language is not offensive. Biggrin.gif) In fact I have listened to the BP30, the BP2000 and the BP3000 a number of times, in different places and with different music, and they ALWAYS have sounded very, very good. And that is something that I can't even say about my beloved 'horns! I think the D-Ts offer some of the best sound per dollar available. I know they have a very different presentation from most klipsch designs, but dang, they just plain sound good. Very well balanced, with excellent bass definition and extension. Very open and airy sounding...must be that funky bi-thing! Eek.gif On the down side - and this is mostly just a personal, non-musical thing - they're just not too much to look at. Plus, their dynamics and clarity are just not in the same league with klipsch, which was a major deciding factor against them with me. The more lifelike the loudness, the more the klipschorns outshone them. Hey, I know what the world needs - BI-POLAR HORNS! That's the ticket.

---Go MIZZOU!!!---

-sorry, I had to do that.

------------------

JDMcCall

This message has been edited by James D McCall on 05-27-2001 at 02:04 AM

OH NO, NO, NO James.Not too strong for me.In fact I appreciate an honest, to the point opinion.Saves a lot of time.Fact is,I understand everyone HAS one.And is entitled to have one.I weigh others opinions and find that sometimes their opinions help me to make my own decisions one way or another.Take for example Flason's quote above.It perfectly describes what I was looking for,and found,in a loudspeaker.I could not have(and did

not)stated it any better.

I too listened to and considered the BP2000's.All things considered,I bought Klipsch.Seemed a little more

"lively?".

Anywho,thanks for the response.Gotta go eat breakfast. Think I'll have a vanilla ice cream cone. Smile.gif

Keith

That's what I get for breifly scanning a post while getting rushed by the family to head out for the weekend. I see that you did clearly make reference to the bass rather then the two lines in general not being able to compare. Regardless my opinion was stated in general. May I suggest some DECAF with that ice cream keith.Eek.gif

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 05-28-2001 at 05:16 PM

RWMIN, I hear ya.After thinking for 10 minutes about how I would describe sound(like describing the taste of water)I re-read Flason's original post and noticed that he perfectly described the sound of the KSP's himself.Flason needs to be writing for a magazine. Smile.gif

Sure hope he don't keep the 400's.Scraping up the $710 now.

Keith