How Come Yamaha Receivers don't get much love?

HT Rookie

I know that I am new to this board, but from all of the topics I have been reading, I see a lot of people using or recommending HK, Denon, or Marrantz. How come Yamaha's are not getting any love, am I that sheltered that Yamaha receivers just don't compare to the 3 mentioned above.

Now I am starting to doubt my selection of a Yamaha receiver for my new setup. I have listened to Denon, and they have too much highs for me, HK, I listened to when I bought my first yamaha and found them not to sound as good, plus they have a bad reputation for needing a lot of repairs. I have not heard Marrantz receivers that I can recall

I know how a receiver sounds is all relative to the person listening to it, but there are going to be quality differences that are just too noticable to neglect. I mean I would know the difference if we were comparing a Mitsubishi Diamond series to a Sanyo 25 inch TV, or a Mercedes to a Pinto.

So am I missing something, if Marrantz is suppose to be the S series Mercedes, is the Yamaha the pinto or is it fair to say that the Yamaha might be the C series Mercedes, or just a Chevy

Can only speak from my own experience. I don't think Yammy makes a bad product, I just didn't find it to be the best match for my Klipsch (RB-5/RC-3). Sonically, it left alot to be desired. Opting for Marantz seemed to make for a much more pleasing match. Yammy offered more features (though I found I didn't make much use of alot of the various surround options).

You milage, as the saying goes, may vary.

I have to vote for Yamaha. I use the RX-V3000 as a Pre- amp processor in one room and an older RX-V2092 in another room. I like Yamaha because they are the only company that offer front effect channels in their upper end receivers. Yamaha is also known for having the best sounding DSP's. They have done their homework in these areas.

Greetings:

I have one of the mid '70s Yamaha CR1000s. A great match with my Klipsch.

Then they went to the 10 series, 1040, series and their quality went down in the 80s and they started trying again mid 90s and have been coming up.

A lot is Vintage, but a lot is the number of features and personal taste.

If it sounds good to you and is performing the features you want, there's no need to second guess yourself.

Denon is a great brand, I have not heard that much of the new Marantz, so I will not comment on what I haven't heard.

But the Yamaha is not to be sneezed at.

Win dodger

Thx all, I was about to buy the Yamaha RX-V2300, but the new RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 have just been released.

I have a Yamaha model that I purchased several years ago from Best Buy (I Know now, not the best place to buy a top receiver) and I love it.

I am heading back to the shop today to finalize my choices, I will most likely listen to the Pioneer Elites and see if they have Marantz

But I just think that Yamaha provides the best all around balance of sound and value for all of the features it has.

This is the first Yamaha I have owned and I love it. I have a second system featuring an Onkyo TXDS 797 that the Yamy wipes out. I have experience with Denon as well and while I liked the system I think the Yamaha in a dollars to dollars comparison is a better value.

The thing I do not like is the 6.1 set-up. I really like the 7.1 set-ups. Yamaha is realeasing a new model (RX-Z8 I think) that is 7.1 and 170 watts per channel. It is in the $4,400 range and was made to be the ultimate reciever making people second guess the seperates route.

While I have front effects in my system I can really not tell they do much and have thought about dropping them...

i am a yamaha'natural sound'series dealer. this series is typically NOT available in the 'refrigerator stores'.i have found them to be a VERY nice match for klipsch speakers, and they do have some of the BEST dsp(surround)modes available today and for the last 13 years. the rxv3000 is(was) one of their best receivers.

avman.

I haven't had the best room setups...

I really like the way my *really* old RX-V1050 sounds with my Quartets. 110W across the front stage (only 30W for the surrounds :( in Dolby Pro Logic this has been ok, but I think in the X.1 setups they will be much better sounding).

I sold off (was forced to sell) my Rotel/Def Tech/Marantz setup to buy this one and I am happy with it...unfortunately I sold my Academy thinking I could replace it easily.

Can't say that I have fully experienced many receiver brands but even listening to demo's units in stores is not the best method to find your taste.

Started off with Onkyo, went to Denon, then traded UP to Yamaha. All what most would probably consider lower stock (under $500-600). I currently own a Yamaha RX-V800 and have used it for approx 2 1/2 years. Loving every minute of it. Too bad for me, the next line came out and I missed out on Dolby Digital EX format, although I am sure it can't be all that great.

But I am very curious as the new 1400 model from Yamaha. Looks like they added in a bass management system to compete with HK's latest. My next receiver will probably either be the Yamaha RX-V1400 or the HK AVR525, but I still have a while left on the 800 due to the WAF headache.

Let us know which way you go and how it works out!

Jaq

• Like 1

THE YAMAHA HURRICANE SPECIAL!!!

Yamaha generator.jpg

NO AUDIO SYSTEM IS COMPLETE WITHOUT IT!

KEEP YOUR KLIPCSH SPEAKERS BLOWING THE

ROOF OFF YOUR HOUSE EVEN AFTER YOUR

ROOF HAS BLOWN OFF THE HOUSE!!! YIKES!

REMEMBER. NO AC MEANS NO AC/DC.

ALL HELLS BELLS AND WHISTLES INCLUDED.

i love yamaha receivers. they dont add anything to the sound and leave it to the speakers to belt it out. especially for my price range (under 400) there arent really any comparable receivers out there (denon and hk are out of that price range 500+) and the only viable solution are the lower end sony or jvc receivers - which do not compare.

I love my Yammy products. They put out serious power and don't sound too bright. And cosmetically, they are by far the best looking along with the denon's. I was between buying Denon and Yamaha, but went with Yamaha because they gave more power/dollar and had better features. I'd buy the same reciever again

• Like 1

I have a Yamaha RX-V990 that has been running like a thoroughbred for 8 years or so - shows no signs of quitting!

I will be getting a newer model in the next couple years only because the 990 does not have onboard DD or DTS nor any digital inputs.

I've loved EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of my Yamaha.