In comparrison to Rolling Stones list. Here is Guitar Magaizes top 100.

m00n

Neil Young gets no respect as a guitarist..He is not the most technically gifted guitarist that's for sure, but his soul comes out of every note the guy plays..There are a lot copy cat players on this list but Neil is not one of them..He is one the greatest because he has a style all his own that is ummistakeable..That's the mark of a great guitarist..Strip away all the instruments and voices, if you can recognize the guitar player, then you have a master..Neil's peers would agree as well..Willie Nelson needs to on this list to.....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clue... I still don't think they could tell. I know they could not tell visually... I will give you the fact that if they did a taste test, they *MAY* be able to tell the difference, but that is only because of the texture differences.

They could not tell by taste for sure because these people simply don't have any taste to begin with... It's one sence that God did not bless them with. I would even argue they have no common sence either.

----------------

On 9/9/2003 3:45:31 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 9/9/2003 3:26:17 PM garymd wrote:

Goobers on the left, raisonets on the right.

----------------

here we are, stuck in a muddle with moon.

----------------

LOL. Steelers(sp?) Wheel. One hit wonder.

How are the new cornwalls doin Forrest?

IMHO.....the term "the top guitarist" can't really be realised..because at any given moment, that choise can change. I personally don't have a favorite. ( I play guitar, mostly Smooth Jazz, and a lot of people say that I should be doin' it fer a livin" but thats beside the point.) Anyway, I personally have about 10 to 15 guitar players that would be in 1st place about 20 to 30 in second place...and then...so on and so on....Just depends on the mood I'm in at the time...(he said depends!!..lol..) Then there are about 10,000 in last place. But as to give a "1st place" to just one artist is impossible to do. M00n,for instance, has a different favorite tham Jim...Jim has a different favorite that Win.. Win has a different favorite than.....and Fini....well, we still dont know about him...lol......just kiddin' but you can see where I'm comming from ..I hope. I't just ain't worth gettin worked up over, because the nutheads that made up those lists are gettin paid to turn in something to the editor..and make them selves look good ...but thats another story...Well, I can't think of anything more to ramble on about, so I'll leave off there.....

It is odd. I would have thought that Joe Walsh would have made the list. But I don't see him. And I do like Mountain.

Here there may be more peer review than Rolling Stone. On the other hand we don't know the criteria. Are technical performance and innovation equally weighted? I gave up trying to play music decades ago; so I know nothing. Still, these seem to be the big issues.

To my listening ear, perhaps Hendrix puts those two together and deserves the top spot as far as pop music. But R. Trower, too?

Too bad that they're not examining classical music. Certainly John Williams and Sharron Isben would be mentioned.

Gil

----------------

On 9/9/2003 5:23:47 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

heh... not nearly a groaner as the Oi-vey Hussein half brother comment floating on another thread. LOL

About those Cornwalls. gonna get the repaired tweeter tomorrow or the next day. YAY!

Seriously, I feel as if I have been walking in audio darkness for over half my life, and am just now seeing sunshine 1.gif

give me a few months and a fatter wallet, and I'll start looking at tubes ...

later,

Forrest

----------------

On 9/10/2003 12:26:34 AM m00n wrote:

Forrest? As in ForrestHump or is this a different forrest?

----------------

No, I'm not the fictional character dreamed up by Winston Groom, but there are still many scary similarities to that Forrest, minus the wealth and time served in Vietnam.

Plus, I own heritage speakers. Yay. what a joy those are.

Forrest

----------------

On 9/10/2003 12:16:57 AM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 9/9/2003 5:23:47 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

heh... not nearly a groaner as the Oi-vey Hussein half brother comment floating on another thread. LOL

About those Cornwalls. gonna get the repaired tweeter tomorrow or the next day. YAY!

Seriously, I feel as if I have been walking in audio darkness for over half my life, and am just now seeing sunshine
1.gif

give me a few months and a fatter wallet, and I'll start looking at tubes ...

later,

Forrest

----------------

Forrest,

Let me know when the time comes for your tube search. Even though I'm quite a tube newbie, I think I can be of some help since we have similiar tastes and we both have cornwalls. You've got to come up to MD sometime. Isn't there a regional Unitarian music director meeting up here or something?

LOL....I'd have to challenge the legitimacy of any list that has Prince fer ged's sake ahead of Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Stanley Jordan, Ritchie Blackmore....hell, ahead of anybody for that matter.

IMHO, lists like these should have a intro that reads, "Our top 100 guitar players in no particular order." To rank these folks is simply ludicrous. It not only sets oneself up as some kinda all-knowing, all-seeing whatever; but it also discredits some fine pickers.

Tom

----------------

On 9/10/2003 1:08:10 PM Tom Adams wrote:

LOL....I'd have to challenge the legitimacy of any list that has Prince fer ged's sake ahead of Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Stanley Jordan, Ritchie Blackmore....hell, ahead of anybody for that matter.

----------------

Yeah I was having some issues with Prince that high up on the list myself. Having gotten that off my chest, I was fortunate last week to have been front row to see #2 Jeff Beck and #3 BB King in concert. I can honestly say both of those men deserve the slots they were given. The two of them playing together was an awesome thing to see and hear.

~shoe

----------------

----------------

----------------

----------------

jerry rafferty also did 'baker street' that went over pretty well on pop radio.

'windin your way down on baker street-

light in your head and dead on your feet-

well another crazy day,you drink the night away and forget about everything...'

avman.