Help with PS Audio Power Plants?

nicholtl

Hi guys. I have been doing some research and I've read alot of things about PS Audio's power plant AC regenerators. I was wondering if anybody here uses the P300, P500, P1000, or P1200 and if they truly made your dreams come true, or made only a slight difference.

I only became interested because I've noticed that at higher volumes when I play my music, if I walk right up to the horn of my RF-7's I can hear a faint static hiss. If I pause my CD then I can hear it better. As I increase the volume, the hiss becomes more and more apparent. Now granted, if I was playing the source at these volumes it would be so loud the hiss would not be audible...but it still bothers me that I have hiss despite using XLR cables, PS Audio power cables, top of the line monster power units, and I have no lamps or any other things around that could introduce interference.

Am I just tripping and this hiss is normal, or is something terribly, terribly wrong?

You will always have a hiss with the horns. I have Khorns and do not enjoy my hiss. I run a Balanced audio technology amp and Aragon Stage one. Although, the music is reproduced unbelievably. I use transparent speaker cables and rca's. As for the power regeneration, ps audio does it well. But there is better(Richard Grey-240v,API power wedge) have demoed p300, p600 on my front end components(pre/pro and cd) and it has made a difference. It really depends on the crap thats coming out of your wall. I went a step further and installed two 20amp circuits with isolated grounds to cure most of my problems. I am drawing quite a load though. With two amps, 2 subs,cd, dvd, 73" t.v, satellite, hd and the list goes on. As for two ch. listening, the P300 is very nice. I believe they have a 30 day return policy. You should be able to find a good deal on audiogon. If your willing to spend the jack. You be suprised at how much clean power will run ya. As for running monster power centers. I won't. But thats me. Anyone who puts in writing in there manual...Unplug from wall if bad weather occurs is definately selling something funky. Try looking at the Transparent Power Bank Six, I was thouroughly impressed when I hooked it up. Didn't change the sound one bit, plus provides surge protection.

Cultrain88

Well the only thing is I've come to the conclusion that the hiss is (as you all stated) a result of the speaker's high efficiency and the amps they are connected to. However, even if I got RGPC or PS Audio products, everybody advises me NOT to plug my 2 amps into any sort of conditioner/power regenerator etc for it will limit the dynamics. Even Parasound says keep the darn things in the wall.

I mean the hiss isn't bothering me in the sense that I can hear it when watching movies/listening to music at any of my 3 couches surrounding the TV -- it's just that I thought I could completely eliminate hiss with the best connections and power conditioners. I guess there will always be some.