Saving Private Ryan in DTS 5.1 vs Dolby Digital 5.1

Porsche

Ok, I bought Saving Private Ryan (DVD - Dolby Digital 5.1 version) yesterday, and found out that there is also a DTS 5.1 version of Saving Private Ryan on DVD.

I researched the 'net, and found out that Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 are very similar, and you're not really losing out if you have on or the other.

My question is, I've read that some versions of DVDs are a tiny tad bit better in Dolby Digital 5.1 format than DTS 5.1 and vice versa.

What's everyone's opinion on the Saving Private Ryan in DD 5.1?

Thanks!

P.S. I haven't opened up the package yet, and was waiting to see what everyone thought. If the DTS version is much more kick-butt, I will return it and get that one.

Of course, personal preference and your rig make a big difference, but for me, the DTS version is far superior, particularly when your receiver/speakers can put it out as 6.1. Many times the versions made for Blockbuster, etc. are in DD 5.1... even though you see DTS in the film credits. DTS is less compressed and sounds far better in the blind tests I have made with guests in my HT. I know that's not what the Dolby White Paper says... but if the public did not perceive a real difference... there probably would not have been a White Paper from Dolby. Yeah... switch it out and be more careful next time. HornEd

------------------

"30 Something 6.1 Herd"

KLF 30 Mains

KLF 30 Modified Center

KLF 30 Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Effects

SB-2 Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

... UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Of all the reviews I have seen for Saving Private Ryan in DVD format, the audio was DD 5.1 and the critics raved over the sound.

I don't have DTS ES 6.1 because my receiver can only do DTS 5.1.

Should I return it and go for the DTS still?

And did YOU play Saving Private Ryan in Dolby Digital as well? That means you would have had to rent it twice, for both formats, or buy the two versions?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, if have tried it both ways. I do the Blockbuster 19.99 for 30 days of "free" DVD rentals (1 per day) and experienced it as DD 5.1. I liked it so well, that I bought the DTS version... and was amazed at how much better it was on my in DTS ES. As to buying a DVD, I prefer to get all I can for my money. Who knows what configuration my system might take downstream... and if and when a change occurs, I would like to get the best quality out of my DVD library.

I suspect that 6.1 and DTS-like sound will become the standard of the industry over the next few years... even if the 600 lb. gorilla of sound (DD) does the grunting.

Sorry I can't go into more detail, it seems I have another root canal on my agenda. Hole-in-the-HornEd

i'm still kicking myself for getting the DD version of ryan before the dang best buy had the DTS version.

i'd go w/ the DTS if u have to choose.

many dvd have both on the same disk (like U-571 & T2).

don't know if that's a possible w/ Ryan though.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Hrmph....

Audio is a pain in the butt. Too many variables! Smile.gif

So you tried the DTS ES version on your 6.1 capable system. I guess it is a given that it would sound better with the 6th rear channel.

Hypothetically... if one did not have DTS ES with a 6.1 system, but rather DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 - would it sound somewhat the same? You say the DTS ES is "far superior" - I'm wondering how good the DTS 5.1 is over the DD 5.1

Can someone else shed some light?

Ok - so you fellas agree DTS is the way to go.

Does that mean when I have the chance on my DVDs, to always watch them in DTS if that's available?

In EVERY instance of a DVD that's encoded in DTS, do they ALL sound better than DD 5.1?

Unfortunately, they made the Saving Private Ryan DVD in seperate releases - DD 5.1 and DTS.

Argh!

This message has been edited by Porsche on 05-24-2001 at 01:34 PM

Oh great! I bought the DD version and now I learn there is a DTS one that is better - not my day. On the other hand I sold my surround sound so I dont care. Back on the first hand - I watched the film with my wife on the surround sound system when we had it and spent the first half hour under the coffee table dodging mortar fire - how much better can it get?

Half the viewers hit by shrapnel?

Your settee blows up?

The smell of burning napalm?

Not sure I could handle more realism for this particular movie.

I just have 2-channel sound (Cornwall I's). Is there any sound difference with just 2 channel? Does one sound better than the other in this instance? I agree you should get the better sounding format keeping any future changes in mind. By the way, I LOVE MY CORNWALLS!!! Thanks everyone.....Johnny

------------------

Johnny

alex which receiver/amp/decoder u using w/ those corns?

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Wow! Quick reply...(this new site really IS fast)---just kidding. I have a Tandberg amp and pre-amp (solid state)....really wonderful smooth sound. Of course, the Cornwalls probably have something to do with that.

------------------

Johnny

johnny, yea i'm fast - the girlfriend keeps reminding me of that Biggrin.gif

great amp units! but since u have only 2 channel amps (i assume u have no other multi-channel set-up) w/ no decoders, then u can't use DTS. when u play a movie u'd have to choose PCM if u want any sound.

sorry if i'm assuming wrongly (but it's hard not knowing exactly your set-up). Tipsy.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

As most of us on this BB are interested in quality audio, it stands to resason that we might in many cases (NOT ALL!) prefer DTS over DD. DTS uses less compression than DD.

Aside from the technical aspect of the differences in compression levels, there might also be a difference in the mix...no two mixers would mix to the same levels...no two mixing suites or even playback environments sound exactly the same...so you might prefer the DD mix over the DTS on some movies.

There also are some drawbacks to using less compression...especially when considering a movie the length of "Saving Pvt. Ryan". A DTS soundtrack will take up more space on the DVD leaving less room for other cool features such as: Director's comments track, French language track, interviews w/ the cast and crew, trailers, behind the scenes shorts, Alt. camera angles, etc...

I should state that my older model Sony DVD player does NOT handle DTS (even though my receiver does) so I have never been able to compare the difference on my own system. I can tell you that "Saving Pvt. Ryan" is very impressive in DD.

Dave

johnny, i was afraid you'd say u have a dvdp w/ DTS. Smile.gif

have u ever played a dvd into your preamp? imagine the

preamp has only a L&R input.

pcm (i think) is pulse coded modulation. basically it's a kinda 2 channel digital format.

when u play a dts dvd, you'll get a start screen that lets u select between DTS or PCM along w/ all those warnings. doubt you'd hear any big dif if u can get your dvdp to input the dts signal into a 2 channel preamp. interesting quest. though probably not worth much trouble to find out.

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-25-2001 at 01:42 AM

Originally posted by DLUngurait:

"As most of us on this BB are interested in quality audio, it stands to resason that we might in many cases (NOT ALL!) prefer DTS over DD. DTS uses less compression than DD."

Not at all sure about this. I understand that DTS uses different compression but in fact it was more efficient and therefore more compressed rather than less compressed. The only evidence for this is anecdotal and as follows.

My Denon 3000 DVD does not support DTS. The DVD on my computer (sony with a hollywood MPEG 2 decoder card) does. To connect the computer with the stereo I used a 10 metre (yard) RCA cable from the digital out to the Yamaha Receiver I had at the time, and a second RCA of similar length for the video.

I put in a Roy Orbison DVD that had both DTS and DD5.1.

When the DD5.1 track played it hopped and skiped about all over the place (as did the video) implying a bandwidth problem. When the DTS track played it didnt - it just played fine. I assumed that the DTS was more compressed than the DD5.1.

I tested the DVD on the Denon with the dd5.1 track and it played fine - so there was nothing wrong with the DVD.

Not exactly cast iron evidence I know but I havent tested further.

Wow... you guys know your stuff! I got lost at the pre-amp and Cornwalls (that sounds like some cereal gone bad).

Well, I've decided to go back to the music store and return my DD 5.1 version of Saving Private Ryan and grab the DTS 5.1 version.

I haven't listened to it yet, but from what you guys are telling me, the DTS 5.1 is a bit better.

And you're absolutely right DLUngurait, the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan DOES NOT have a featurette that the DD 5.1 version has. Besides, I'm buying the movie to WATCH it, I could really care less about the extra features. I'd much rather have a better sounding film than one with a little less quality and more features.

Thanks alot guys.

Cheers!

P.S. I suppose DD II will be better competition against DTS 5.1 and DTS ES 6.1, thus making them bitter rivals! Smile.gif

------------------

Onkyo TX-DS575X(B) Receiver

Sony DVPS 560D DVD Player

Klipsch Quintet Microtheatre

Klipsch KSW-12 Subwoofer

Sony 32" Trinitron TV

Originally posted by maxg:

quote:

My Denon 3000 DVD does not support DTS.

Hi Max - I see you are in Greece, so perhaps there are some differences in the "International" version of the Denon DVD-3000, but mine plays DTS with no problem at all. Curious...

Doug

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-25-2001 at 11:47 AM