Klipsch RF-7 for small room?

TomL1967

My room is approximately 12,5 x 14,5 ft. I listen very often to Heavy Metal and I'm interested in the RF-7. I have enough space for them, so standing them away from the walls won't be a problem, but I've heard you can buy speakers which are too big for a room, then a smaller one might be better. Any suggetions?

Tom

I wouldn't worry about it too much. RF7's are not like a Khorn which needs some room to breathe. You'll just have to put up with the same things/limitations that any small room provides. A higher roll-off point for the low-end. Lumpy bass response. And near term reflections that can play havoc with imaging, detail & definition. On the other hand, if you haven't experienced these things (and what it sounds like in their absence), it shouldn't matter to you (yet).

Have a TOOL day!

I have Forte II (comparable) in about the same size room and they're just wonderful.

I recall reading a little bit infering that speakers should be re designed when you're right on top of them. The issue came up in the BBC using speakers in very small studios or even the back of a van. It may be that Klipsch Pro Audio computer monitors take this into account, too. It is not quite room size as much as when the speaker are, say, 18 inches away.

However, you're not quite there.

If you can swing the bucks for the -7 you'll be a happy dude.

Gil

I'll also put my vote in for the RF7s... they are quite a step above the RF5s.

Even though artto mentioned it in his post, I'd like re-emphasize the fact that most of the shortcomings that he mentioned will be present regardless of the speaker size... as they are room factors. Obviously an alarm clock radio won't have these problems as it won't have the imaging, SPL, or bass extension to begin with... but that doesn't make the little radio better.

My room is similar in size and I have a heritage HT in there (for now 2.gif).

Rob

Hey TomL1967:

My HT is in my basement and the ceiling varies from about 7 ft to about 6.5 ft (luckily, I have short friends 9.gif ). But the room dimensions aren't much different from yours: 11 ft wide by 17 ft long. As you can see from my equipment below, I am using the RF-7's as my two mains (left and right) and I must tell you that they sound perfect in that environment....low ceiling and all. I say...if they fit...use 'em! 16.gif

-Picky