which is better sunfire or svs

odiedarklord

Yeah...I got my PB2+ today and hooked it up. I have never known what I was missing. Tuned to 16hz with 2 ports blocked -- who says it sacrifices volume? I was experiencing shirt flapping, my pictures fell from my walls, and I have never, I repeat NEVER EVER felt the floor shake left to right under my feet. I thought it was an earthquake. I had an old lady from next door (I live in an apartment) come knocking on my door, furious.

SVS is ridiculously powerful. It puts the "RE" in "diculous." So thoroughly did I enjoy this new found power that I kept on turning it up, and when I powered down the system, my ears really really hurt. And they still kinda do. And it's 6 hours later.

PS - is there a difference in turning up the LFE volume via preamp vs. turing up the gain on the sub?

Depends on the system and the room. Without that information no way to know if it would be capable of grossly over powering your system/room (which isn't really a problem, as you can always turn them down) or not enough.

If your ears hurt after that session I'd strongly recommend you never do that again. If you enjoy good hearing that is. If your ears are ringing afterwards you know you've permenantly damaged your hearing a little bit. And no way to know how many times of ringing it will take before the end result is something much worse than a small lose in hearing acuity. One example would be tinnitus (or hearing a ~3000hz 50dB sound 24/7 that isn't there for the rest of your life). The other clear sign of causing permenant damage to your ears is a hearing shift. This isn't getting used to a louder sound (like the difference between the volume you'll have a TV for news in the morning and at 5 after getting home from work), but a noticable shift if the volumes required to hear things clearly.

The SunFire will move more air at 30hz, providing more shake and slam galore (upward of a whopping 120db), and it will hit 20hz at over 100db. (My measurements being 103-104db at 20hz). However the PB2 will reach lower(16hz yo!), and do so louder down there. Depth monster vs Shake monster...you decide. (lol m00t point, as both do it quite well)

Either way, the PB2's low price gives it the best value.

edit: The Pb2 might be able to match the sunfire's air pressure at 30hz...I think I was comparing it to he ultra. Wait for Ear to come around.

Well...

Sunfire Signature = most bass in a 13" cube,huge output down to 30Hz,big output at 25Hz and still a strong 100dB at 20Hz.

SVS PB2-Plus = big bass in a good sized box,huge output down to 20Hz.I mean come on you cannot cheat some laws,and dual 12" woofers.Two woofers in a larger ported box always outperform one with a PR in a very very small box.

Both are great,one is tiny the other large.Both give BIG performance out of the space used.

Overpowering...not.Unless you do not balance the subs and mains.You could use a dozen BIG subs and still not overpower anything.Its just fun to have this extra headroom...and plentyyyyyyyyyy of it. 9.gif

----------------

On 9/12/2003 9:10:06 AM InnovaZero wrote:

The SunFire will move more air at 30hz, providing more shake and slam galore (upward of a whopping 120db), and it will hit 20hz at over 100db. (My measurements being 103-104db at 20hz). However the PB2 will reach lower(16hz yo!), and do so louder down there. Depth monster vs Shake monster...you decide. (lol m00t point, as both do it quite well)

Either way, the PB2's low price gives it the best value.

edit: The Pb2 might be able to match the sunfire's air pressure at 30hz...I think I was comparing it to he ultra. Wait for Ear to come around.

----------------

Let's look at the two.

Sunfire Signature

--one high excursion 10"

--one 10" PR

--tiny enclosure

--2700 watt amp(don't know what RMS wattage is) that probably uses a healthy dose of eq for the bottom end.

SVS PB2

--2 high excursion 12's

--way more int enclosure volume

--3 flared 4" ports(your choice of tuning 16,20,25hz)

--900w RMS (adjustable sunsonic filter, cont variable phase, and no eq used)

The only thing the Sunfire has on its side is WAF. In all honesty, if you're considering something like SVS you shouldn't really be looking Sunfire subs. They have two very different goals.

I'm sure EAR is right about making sure your subs are all balanced with your mains. But I think 2 would be insanity. Heck, I think the PB2+ is already too powerful. But I just keep it at the same dB calibrated level as my mains and have the gain set midway. And ofcourse it's good to give yourself that extra headroom leeway.

Like Frankie says, the box is crazy huge. Hope you got somewhere to hide it. Almost big enough to use as a full on seat.

Scott - your sig says you have DUAL PB2+'s on the way. Are you serious??? Then YOU are about to find out what damage they can do.

Well I agree with you completely, but that 10" has linear greater then the DB-12 drivers, and moves more air. The favor in DB's is that there is two drivers, with far more internal space.

Think about it, that 10" with 10" PR moves 360 cubic inches of air, equal to about 75-85 pds of pressures, slaming 2 1/2 - 3" peak excursion. Thats farkin amazing.

I agree the pb2 is better, and cheap. But here the sunfire, is really frickin amazing.

well frist of thanks to all of yall ( I'm from texas )the room is about 14'long ( fornt and back walls ) and bout 12' on one of the side the other side is open because of a door way . Right now the 2 jbl's i have are fine but i hear every one talk about the svs so i am curious about them and talked the wife into letting me buy them and i have about 2500 dollars to play with. So if everyone agrees about the svs which one is the best? And if possibale i would like to get two of them.

thanks James "OdieDarLord"

----------------

On 9/12/2003 1:43:42 PM InnovaZero wrote:

Well I agree with you completely, but that 10" has linear greater then the DB-12 drivers, and moves more air. The favor in DB's is that there is two drivers, with far more internal space.

Think about it, that 10" with 10" PR moves 360 cubic inches of air, equal to about 75-85 pds of pressures, slaming 2 1/2 - 3" peak excursion. Thats farkin amazing.

I agree the pb2 is better, and cheap. But here the sunfire, is really frickin amazing.

----------------

The Sunfire is frickin amazing for it's size and I don't want anyone to get the impression I'm slamming it, but like I mentioned the SVS and Sunfire subs have completely different design goals. I don't feel like commenting on the numbers part because I just finished a bunch of Calc II homework and I've had enough math for today, but I'll just say I disagree for now.

Here's one big advantage the Sunfire has over the SVS, since the enclosure of the SVS is large, you don't have the placement flexibility you would have with something as small as the Sunfire. With the Sunfire you have more possible locations to try and get a good in room response.

I'm tired and bored, I'll do the math.

360"^3 or 5.9L is a load of crap. That's them using the mechanical travel limits of the driver and the PR, adding them together and using that to come up with an almost meaningless number. Funny thing about a bass reflex system is you'll never get both travelling to max mechanical excursion at the same time with any usefull output. And at max mechanical excursion the distortion numbers would be horrid.

So lets take the stroke number of Sunfire's website, 2.35". Rounding up that's 60mm Xmech (peak-peak). I'll be generous and say the Sd is 340cm^2. That results in a Vd of 2.04L. Now the Xmax (the meaningful excursion) I'll guesstimate to be a generous 54mm. That gives us a Vd of 1.83L. I'd bet the actual Sd and Xmax are even a bit lower bring the Vd of that 10" driver to ~1.75L.

The DB12 driver is quite similar to the Stryke AV12. The AV12 has a Sd of 498cm^2 and an Xmax of 23mm (this is one way, so p-p is 46mm; also the Xmech on this driver is the same as the Sunfire, 60mm). So lets say the DB12 isn't even that capable. 490cm^2 and 20mm Xmax. That gives a Vd of 1.96L. Then the PB2+ has 2 drivers. So that takes the Vd of the PB2+ to 3.92L. In reality I really wouldn't be surprised if the actual number was a little over 4L. So the PB2+ is capable of moving almost 130% more air than the Sunfire Signature.

Of other note, the driver used in SVS's lowest line of subs is capable of ~1.5L of VD. So the PB1 is less than 20% off the Vd of a Sunfire Signature and the PB2 will have over 80% more Vd than the Sig.

There really is no replacement for displacement. The PB2+ would easily outgun a Sunfire Sig at any frequency.

Dustin,

You are 100% correct about the BS specs Sunfire gives for max air being moved.Providing peak to peak and adding them with the PR's peak to peak is utter BS.

As for a single TV12 outdisplacing the much smaller Signature its a no brainer.The piston surface of the Sig is lesser than any 12" SVS uses and the TV12 has a piston travel about the same.

Never in question a single Ultra beats the SIgnature,and more so the dual driver PB2's eat any small sub.Plus when you use TV12 woofers its a one sided whipping.

The Signature is fun because its tiny and still can move plenty of air.

I think that's a little overly optimistic frankie. Keep in mind the Adire Sadhara driver has an Xmax of 27mm and with the surround required to achieve that excursion an SD of 436cm^2. This gives a Vd of 2.35L. The Sadhara better compares to the Ultra (TV12 driver) than the Plus series (DB12 driver). So the DB12 will be much closer to 2L than 3L, and 2-2.1L would be my guess. The Ultra is likely right around the 2.4L range.

Another reason why I love my Tempest. 2.55L Vd for the exorbitant price of $210CDN shipped. Amp and enclosure not included of course 3.gif