SVS PB2+ and an RF7

Bruinsrme

Congrats on the twins. I've had my single PB2+ for about 2 months and I'm still amazed at the amount of impact it has. My wife will be glad when the novelty wears off. She says its too hard to watch a movie with me now, I replay bass heavy scenes over 2 or 3 times just to feel the gut slams. Oh well, more room on the couch now.

I hate how I love home theater yet live in an apartment smack in downtown LA where lots of old and irratable people live next to me. Complains all the time I get. Bruinsme, I take it you live in a house? Even if you did, I would assume cranking up the DUAL subs (you're crazy!) would still shake the house to its foundations, but be heard by your neighbors as well? Don't THEY complain?

Nich,

I ahve been playing all day and the calibration results are on the attachment.

The PB2 are loud, solid, and powerful. But do not think for a second that these are too much. I am hearing and feeling more with these two monstersthan I did with the two PC+2039. The PB2 seem to be showing off to me. They could easily pump out 120 db of solid heart stomping base. I did don the ear protection and easily go it up to 115db.

I gained 5 db dialing in the phase between the two. I did not think it would be that much but I was surprised.

Also I have tried them on the sides with the base plate against thewall and away from the wall and also with the SVS emblem facing the floor so the drivers looked like a floorstanding speaker. Yes one of them is upside down as you read this. Just had to try it. Looks kinda cool and you can definitiely feel the air moving around the room when it is upside down.

I have stood on it, sat on it, removed the drivers to see what is inside, taken off the base plates and so on.

With the latest reading the leftone is tuned to 25Hz and the other 20Hz. Why you ask, when I went up to get a drink my son was checking out the ports and pulled it out andhear me coming downthe stairs and placed theh plug out of site.

These things have a lot of energy and will shake the structure.

I think they are well worth the money and would highly recommend them.

To get one of them to bottom out it was VERY hard. Did not measure the db but the gain was at 65% and receiver volume at +1 sub setting +7

Gotta go feed the monster it is hungry!!!!!

Take to you later

Scott

post-10281-13819249117682_thumb.jpg

Scott,

Congrats,a worthy setup you have there,and dual PB2-Plus must shake rattle and roll your place.1.gif And as you can clearly hear one never has too much subs 9.gif

I like this limitless feeling when a good few subs work as one to recreate this YOU ARE THERE feeling.And somtimes overdo a bit.

I am really looking forward to the day when the delivery man arrives and says I HAVE THREE LARGE BOXES.

The more the better

Ear Thank you.

When I first visiting this forum I thought you were some quack with all the subs. Now it is inderstandable why. Sure Tom V was right about this being a little too much but when the 2 PC 2039s were in the house they seem to struggle with music. I could not tolerate it any longer. Music needs subs that provide the, sitting in front of the bass drum feeling. Otherwise give me a walkman.

One of these monsters would be enough, but I have to admit 2 of them are bliss..

Thanks again

Scott

Hi Frankie,

I did try then next to each other, one in front of the other and on top. Way too much power centralized in one area. With them in the same vicinity it shook the wall and the floor above too much creating a vast amount of vibration.

With them colocated it has enough energy to knock over stand up picture frames on the shelf along the same wall on the floor above. Can't try it on the opposite wall due to antiques.

With the 2 on opposite sides I lost maybe 2 or 3 db but the response is more even through out the room. Plus I am tired of moving these things. They are big and heavy.

Scott

If you do get this sub here is what I did to ensure delivery was flawless.

1 the morning after Erik from SVS emails you with a tracking number call BAX global, the shipping company, and ask for you local Bax depot phone number.

2 Call the local bax and give them the best way to contact you whether it be cell or home ALSO ASK FOR THE SCHEDULED DELIVERY DATE.

3 the morning that the delivery is due call the local Bax and confirm

4 be there for the delivery they will not leave it and it is too big to leave at a neighbors

5 invite a friend or two over to help out

The sub will come on a funky looking pallet with two black tie downs.

It is super simple to unpack. After you cut the black tie downs slice the top open and pull out the two black cushion end pieces. the box is in two pieces the top of the box that has SVS on it lifts right off leaving just the bottom. The sub is ready to be lifted off the pallet. At least two people need to lift it. It is very well balance so there really isnt a concern of one side being heavier than the other.

CAUTION you will most likely grab the the sub between the base plate and the main body. DO NOT grab the drivers it is easy to grab them by accident, The drivers are not centered. If you look at the back of the sub they are off set to the opposite side of the amp, see diagram.

Scott

post-10281-13819249118412_thumb.jpg

When my PB2+ arrived I was'nt expecting it at all. There was a knock on the door, and there it was. Afterwards I went on line and saw that SVS e-mailed me at about 1:40am that it was on its way, and about 1:00pm the same day it arrived. Talk about fast, I must live pretty close to them.

It was a woman that delivered mine. She was great, she grabbed one end with my wife and helped us carry it in the house.

Wow that's super cool of her. My BAX delivery guy was a big and thick football player type who was so wide he could block both headlights of a car with his shoulders. He just gave me the box and said "here...have fun." Since I'm 6 feet but only 145lbs, I had a tad bit of difficulty...

EAR and BRUINSRME, do you guys have a recommendation as to how to position just ONE PB2+ to get ideal output? What I mean is should I turn it upside down, or have the faceplate face the wall, or put the unit sideways etc?

Oh, I'm also curious as to what you guys have experimented with regarding port blocking and phase control. I've read many people don't actually go by what SVS recommends in terms of # of ports blocked vs. tuned freq?

Nic flip it upside down and if you are tuning it, top port and see how that sounds.

The best way to find the best location is to move it around. I know its tough with thes things but that is the best way.

I believe Weezer over on the Hometheaterspot forum ended up putting it behind the couch. He spend a few hours moving it around.

Scott

----------------

On 9/14/2003 2:49:42 PM nicholtl wrote:

Wow that's super cool of her. My BAX delivery guy was a big and thick football player type who was so wide he could block both headlights of a car with his shoulders. He just gave me the box and said "here...have fun." Since I'm 6 feet but only 145lbs, I had a tad bit of difficulty...

EAR and BRUINSRME, do you guys have a recommendation as to how to position just ONE PB2+ to get ideal output? What I mean is should I turn it upside down, or have the faceplate face the wall, or put the unit sideways etc?

Oh, I'm also curious as to what you guys have experimented with regarding port blocking and phase control. I've read many people don't actually go by what SVS recommends in terms of # of ports blocked vs. tuned freq?

----------------

I don't think you'll notice much difference by lying it on any particular side, just make sure you leave a few inches for the ports to breathe.

For the phase control, simply play a tone near the crossover frequency and turn the phase knob until it gives the most SPL at the main listening position.

To see some graphs on how the different tuning and subsonic filter setting affect response, look here.