skonopa

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gary,

You'll have to file a review of how that new generator meshes with your audio gear. Might be just the thing to bring out the best in that MC-240!

Seriously, good luck. I'm glad you all are preparing. Hopefully, that storm will take a hard right before too long.

fini

Thanks Fini. Now I can't wait for the power to go out just so I can test her out.2.gif Actually we lose power at least 3-4 time/year. I've been meaning to do this for a long time.

I don't think I'll be listening to any music via the generator though. Watching the news will be our entertainment should we lose power during the storm. Oh but will our neighbors be envious!

----------------

On 9/15/2003 10:49:18 PM garymd wrote:

Thanks Fini. Now I can't wait for the power to go out just so I can test her out.
2.gif
Actually we lose power at least 3-4 time/year. I've been meaning to do this for a long time.

----------------

You got extremely lucky that you found that generator! According to this article, that may have very well been the last one on the entire east coast. There is not a single one to be found in this area anywhere! Appearantly, they were already in short supply from the harsh winter that we had, not to mention all the terrorist scares over the course of the year.

I ran from a few, but usually stay and weather them out. If the hurricanes are a category four or five and predicted to hit the cost within 75 miles north or south of me, I run. I saw what hurricane Andrew did to Homestead FL. some 200 miles south of me. It was a category Five and flattened everything some 80 miles in land.

I have it down now, the kids and I can get the house boarded up in about five hours, including the the garage door. The gararge door is one of the first things to get blown in. Once the winds find a way into the house then you loose your roof and it's all down hill from there. I've been lucky, I only lost shingles, part of my roof and my stockade fence always goes. This happened a few times. The last time I shingled the house I not only nailed the shingles down, I also used roof cement on all of them.

I too have a generator for those three to five days of no power after the storm. Buy at least Five 5 gal. gas cans. I also bought a cheap window air conditioner to use durning these times. I keep my refrigerator and the AC unit plugged in and alternate other items when needed. Like the microwave, tools, tv, coffee pot, and so on. Times like this make me wonder why I live on the cost of Florida.

Steven,

Yeah, I got extremely lucky for once. Not to mention it's kind of fun.

Q-Man,

Since I have a tractor, I usually have at least 5-10 gallons in the shed. Depending on weather reports, I may up that to 15. The generator holds 5 gallons which last approx. 13 hours.

It's starting to look like I may not need it but it's comforting to be ready anyway.

I'm having another forum member over at lunchtime today for some listening so I've got to scoot and get ready.

----------------

On 9/16/2003 11:08:21 AM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 9/15/2003 2:59:19 PM garymd wrote:

Just got it home. Craftsman 10hp, 5600 watts RMS, 8600 watts peak.

----------------

Perfect match for the attached picture!

Forrest

(sorry, had to)

----------------

LOL!

You're always welcome Clu. The cats too (as long as they've been de-clawed!).

If anyone in the Tidewater area (I refuse to call it Hampton Roads) is in need of a generator the Home Depot on 3352 Virginia Beach Blvd. had a bunch of them as of about a half hour ago. I stopped by there to pick up a few things and they had them stacked up in the aisles right by the cash registers. There was at least 15-20 generators in plain sight and they might even have more. Other locations probably have them too, call them if you need one. This is not an advertisement for Home Depot (I don't even like the place that much) but if someone wants a generator they have them in stock, beats candles and Sterno any day!.

Believe it, or not, Today at work one of those salesguys that come to your jobsite selling equipment like air compressors and generators came to our site today...He had two generators that put out 5900 watts diesel.. and a price tag of only ....get this...$2,600 that's right 2,600 dollars can you believe that...He was in the wrong place at the wrong time...Sorry bout his luck 2600 dollars ..right!!!!can get 3 of those at home d**** for that price ..runs on regular gas too!!!!....gc