al k´s x-over...any updates?

Like others here, I upgraded my La Scala AL networks with the ALK's and cannot say enough good things about them. They are definitely more open and airy then the AL's, and also provide more balance with the other drivers. I spent about 2 weeks listening to them and they seemed to sound better every day.

Then I replaced the K400 squawker's with the Altec 511B (using the K55 driver) horns and the improvement was just as dramatic. For more info on this upgrade see this thread here.

The other nice thing about the ALK's is the ability to bi-wire, and that is my next upgrade. As it stands right now, my La Scala's sound wonderful and I can't imagine them getting much better. I haven't messed with the tap settings yet but I plan on it. The 511B's are about 3db louder than the K400's, so a change is probably in order...

Mike

Mike--

On Al's crossovers, changing the taps changes the output of both the squawker and the tweeter because the squawker and tweeter are on the same circuit. You can't change the output of the squawker without changing the output of the tweeter, also.

The problem I'm asking about is whether it's possible to boost the level of the less efficient tweeter (by changing the capacitor value or something like that) to match the more efficient squawker. I suspect, though, that the problem would have to be solved by lowering the output of the more efficient squawker (by changing the capacitor value or adding a resistor or an L-pad).

What's the best way, Al?

Hardhead

Hardhead,

"changing the taps changes the output of both the squawker and the tweeter because the squawker and tweeter are on the same circuit"

** N O T! **

The level of the tweeter stays where it is no matter what you do! This includes changing the transformer taps. Moving the tap settings changes the squawker ONLY! You MUST NOT change any part values in the tweeter cirucit! Doing that will screw up the frequency response, nothing more. The only thing you can do is to put an "L" or "T" pad in the tweeter cable to reduce it's level. There is NO way to increase the tweeter level!

Al K.