Tweeter, Etc.

JoshT

I went by the local Tweeter to see if they had any of the new Reference Series speakers in stock. They didn't, which is fine.

But when I mentioned the RF7s, the manager said, "Oh, you mean the RF5s. The wood veneer version of the RF3s." I said, "Well, I know the RF5s are coming out soon, because they are in your catalog, but I think they are more than just wood veneered RF3s. Also, I'm even more interested in the RF7s with the ten inch woofers!"

Blank stare.

So, I suggested he check out the Klipsch website.

Blank stare, slight frown.

IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE THAT HE REALLY HAD NOT HEARD OF THESE SPEAKERS, OR IS HE REFUSING TO ADMIT THEY ARE OUT THERE BECAUSE HE WANTS TO SELL PRODUCT TODAY, RATHER THAN TOMORROW?

What a jerk! I've gotten that reaction before from others at the store. You mention anything from this website, and they get defensive and change the subject.

UHG. I miss the days when Klipsch was sold by specialty audio shops, rather than A/V outlets like Tweeter has become. Not that I blame Klipsch, as Tweeter can push a lot of product, but it's too bad that there aren't high end stores selling this stuff too.

Amen, JoshT! Unfortunately, most higher volume outlets cannot afford to have their sales staff taking the time that high end stores used to do. Any salesman taking the time to get the knowledge and impart it to the customer would likely be replaced. Klipsch does have a sales training "dog & pony show" that makes the rounds... and that helps some. But, frankly, the problem seems to be that closing techniques are what managers want to hear... and moving boxes is what they want to see. Be happy if you can wangle an honest estimation of what's really available (after all, their first priority is to move old stock) and, maybe, a little extra discount for being a good customer (i.e., closing yourself).

Hopefully, there are still a few good stores out and about... Eyes.gif

Obviously, Klipsch had the 20/20 foresight to build a better quality web site and free ups some heady Klipsch staffers to come to our rescue... plus all the willing to help consumers who lurk looking for some posted question to tickle their multi-starred fancy replies as they weave our threads into a "No Life" to call their own.

And there is something very special about 1-800-Klipsch with the laid back answer man Trey who routinely makes sense of seeming chaos.

Yessiree BobG, has the answer for you and me... Most often, it even fits! And with a dependable bias and acerbic turns of phrase... he's a journalistic cut above most company speaker tweakers.

I don't know about you, but I try to steer salesperson abused potential Klipsch customers to this web site. I figure the more new customers we send... the longer the folks in Hope will be cranking out fun stuff for generations to follow. I do that because, in the main, Klipsch has attempted to provide more real customer value than most other speaker manufactures of similar background. Around the name brand genius of Paul and Fred have gathered folks who give a damn... take in a trade show and you too can discover another Klipsch difference.

O.K., so in a half century they have abandoned over a hundred speakers in the quest to bring us what we want at a price we can afford... and they can afford and stay in business. Thanks to the Internet and both sides (e.g., consumer & company) of the Klipsch customer attitude, we have a place to engage in dialogue with the company and with each other. In the process, more knowledgeable and dedicated Klipsch customers are nurtured... and that bodes well. As in any business, only things that work merit more time and money devoted to them. So, it is in everyone's interest to invite more people to this BB. Wavey.gif rah!

Hmmm... now to sneak off to some other post and feather out a Boa tale. Wink.gif HornEd

JoshT, not to defend Tweeter but to give credit where credit is due: My local HiFiBuys employs the most knowledgeable salespeople I have ever met.Not only do they know their stuff, but they are friendly and actually listen to what you have to say.Their prices are also competitive,if you twist their arm just right.

(Latest example:Denon 3801-$949)Just wish they had the Heritage line.Can't have it all I guess. Smile.gif

Keith

Since Tweeter is the only place in my area that carries Klipsch that is where I shop. In my case I have had very good experiences in all my visits. Back in April I was looking for a subwoofer and the salesman suggested I wait until June when the new Reference series would be released. Another time I went in to trade my SB-1's for SF-1's and came out with a pair of KLF-20's (which my salesperson told me were being dicontinued) for $656. And my salesperson remembers my name each time I visit which I doubt happens to anyone who shops at those big stores like Circuit City.

Josh, I must admit though, that I, too, would be put off if I had an experience like yours. If it happens to me I will either drive to a farther store or deal with a different salesperson. Of course, the farther store must contain Klipsch...period.

One of my biggest gripes in this age is the lack of REAL audio stores. I grew up at a time when there where quite a few different stereo shops in my area. Some were small chains and others were true independents. It was a big deal in my small world when my Dad brought me downtown Minneapolis to a shop called " Sound Enviorment " and the first thing I saw when I walked in was a pair of Khorns. The salesman spent probally 2 hours showing this kid gear ( and explaining the why and how's of the gear ) that even today I can not afford! Where are these stores today that help insure the future of hi- end audio when all there is is the mass supermarket KLH, Bose pushers? I do have sort of an attitude when I go into a mid- fi shop like this areas Audio King. There staff just dont seem to know much. A while back I inquired about Klipsch's Heritage line and I got a " They havent made those for 20 years ". I just go " oh " and walk away. This is not the only time I have gotten uninformed answers- just the latest. I WANT A REAL AUDIO STORE IN MY TOWN!!- sorry for the soap box-

Clint,most went out of business years ago.The ones that didn't generally fit your description perfectly:

quote:

The salesman spent probally 2 hours showing this kid gear ( and explaining the why and how's of the gear ) that even today I can not afford!

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 05-28-2001 at 11:16 PM

Ah Tweeters. I live in a village of 4 million people and Tweeters is it for Klipsch. Two weeks ago my wife and I spent over an hour with a "manager" who was trying to unload his last RP's. (of course he did not tell us that) My wife is a bass lover deluxe and he had her convinced. His alternative offer was a Boston A. also with a powered tower. Never did he show us anything with a separate sub. I left the store under tow of my wife because I was getting really pissed. I called the store and asked a salesperson why.......... He said he could take care of us. Went back and bought a set of RF-3's, an RC-3, a set of surrounds and a KSW-12. They sounded great and it was no hassle. Even had a price that was less than I figured on. I'm still pissed that the guy tried to clean out his inventory on us and I had no where else to shop.

I am with you guys on the Tweeter bashing! I dread going into their store because they descend on you like a pack of blood thirsty animals.

I recently went in to acquire about the new surround speakers and got the typical crap. They are not available yet, but you could buy the rs3 and trade them in later when the rs7 become available. It's like they don't listen to a word that I am saying!

They also give out some major bad advice on hooking things up. They are always trying to sell extra cables that are not needed for your system.

I miss the small local stores.

p.s. THEY CAN SHOVE THAT RETAIL PRICE UP THEIR A$$!!!

Well my friendly"local"Klipsch dealer as of June first has become Tweeter.Someone there asured me that the same sales staff would be there,but price changes might be a thing of the past.I guess the other dealer that I like that doesn't carry Klipsch(anymore,but another story)will be happy with that beacause cutting deals isn't what they do.

Anyway I haven't been to Tweeter yet and I'm not in any hurry.Saddens me because the dealer was a great place with friends on the top level of managment and would price things right for people.I don't know about what or how it will be now.I need to take a"field trip"and see what is happening.They were a very well established audio-video store,localy owned with 3 stores.

O Wellcwm12.gif

If you had a bad experience with Tweeter, you should give another store, or another salesperson a try. While they are continuing to grow, they generally hold their employees to a higher standard. The consumer electronics market has changed so dramatically, that you're more likely to have a good experience at Tweeter, than most other places. Give it a shot, and call their offices, if you're truly dissatisfied. They are very responsive.c>Smash.gif

------------------

The Prodigal Son

"A Complete Drain on Society...Since 1964."

f>c>]s>

I live in the same area as Steve P and I was in a couple of their stores on Saturday, their second day as Tweeter. They were having problems entering orders and checking inventory. I overheard one salesman telling another salesman that he got in trouble because he answered the phone wrong. I really felt bad because they were a good dealer and I hope the employees keep up the good service despite the name change.

I have a question for anyone in the know, especially BobG if he reads this. Now that Tweeter is in my area can I place orders via Outpost(Tweeter)? This is very convenient considering they will delivery next day for as little as $6 and would be handy when the local store is out of stock. I called and spoke to customer service this morning, but the lady indicated only uBid is authorized to sell online.

now looks like tweet's is (officially) buying sound advice fyi: http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B4AE64ADF%2D4B00%2D4C5C%2D9A0A%2D77083D02F7C5%7D&siteid=mktw

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!