artto, here is my results with a jpg of a basic room layout.

m00n

So I listened to a lot of stuff.

Van Halen

Tesla

Crystal Method (deep penetrating bass)

Animatrix sound track.

Yeah, on things that are clubish sounding with hard hitting bass, I am getting peeks in the lows. I can assume that would be expected. However, things like Tesla and Van Halen where you don't typically have boom boom boom boom boom boom, the peaks were not specific to just the bass. the one thing I do find interesting however is that on average the back corner (only test one) was about 4 to 5 db louder in volume on average which strikes me odd that music would have that much of a db difference compared to pink noise.

I like the idea of working the ceiling. I can even work more with the back wall. I just havent. Have you noticed my shelf that I built? Have you noticed that it has an angle to it? I suppose in a very crude way it's acting as a diffuser. At any rate, i can add more absorbtion to my back wall. I will be honest though, I wanna find some pre made rigid fiberglass, making the DIY may be working affectively but it sure is a pain in the a$$ to make.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 2/11/2004 10:26:35 PM j-malotky wrote:

I have not see Artto post much on the Forum the last few weeks.

I did get an email from him a few weeks back so he is still arround. You may want to email him.

JM

----------------

I've not seen Artto post in a long long long time. But then again, if he's posting up in 2 channel land that may be why. I don't venture up there too often. People up there are mean.2.gif

I will give him a day or so. If I don't hear from him I will email him.

Yes folks, Ive not been around that much. Been busy with my regular work, and producing a CD for the Glen Ellyn Wheaton Chorale from their Christmas concert, and some kitchen remodeling (pain-in-the-arse). Plus, I finally got my access back to Yahoo StockWatch chat. So Ive been hanging there. And, quite frankly, unlike our friend Kelly, after a while I get tired of answering the same questions over & over & over (Im referring to the more typical stuff seen in 2 channel, Tech Questions & Troubleshooting, not this subject).

Moon, as far as I can tell, you didnt really ask me anything in your 11/25/03 post.

But, for what its worth, yes, that angled shelve thingy is acting as a diffuser to some degree. But in the rear of the room, especially in your case, I think more absorption is the key.

Rigid fiberglass isnt really all that rigid. But it will hold its shape better & it is denser per cubic foot. That guy on that you mentioned (where you got the idea to make your absorbers) has the FR705 rigid insulation in stock. I spoke with him a few months back.

You really should use broadband (20Hz to 20KHz) white noise for the tests. Pink noise is typically used more in conjunction with equalizers. If you need a test CD, I made my own with Sound Forge & CD Architect, I can burn one for you. Let me know if you want one.

Its not unusual to see the bass push the sound pressure level (SPL) higher by 4 to 5dB at the back of the room. Thats one of the reasons BROADBAND absorption is so important there. This would be especially true in long narrow room such as yours. The fact that you can measure a 5dB increase in SPL in that area is an indication that a lot more absorption is required there. Also, keep in mind that some recordings have the bass boosted, especially around the 180Hz region to give it more impact on your typical boom box or car radio.

Im Bahk

16.gif

Sure, I would like that cd. I'll send you a pm with my address. Or if you have a way to share them so I can grab them from the internet, that's fine with me.

I will look into the ridgid fiberglass once again. It was not fun making my DIY stuff at all. As a matter of fact, it down right sucked. But they are working some, perhaps not optimal, but they are doing some work.

It's been kind of a "drag and resist" situation between myself and some of you in regards to removing my second set of side surrounds. Which for a long time now have actually just sat there not hooked up.

Here's what I'm thinking. I'll keep all 4 RS7s, I build my nice looking columns for them. Durring normal viewing (just myself and maybe one friend) I keep one set turned off. When I have multiple people in there and multiple rows of seating are being used I'll turn on the second set. Reason being is because it's really nice to have that extra coverage. Non of my friends/co-workers are going to have the ear to be able to notice a sound degrigation by having both sets on at the same time, but they will notice when the surrounds are out in front of their ears rather than to the sides of them. I realize it's my theater to do what I want, but I also want the best sound and to work with your advice as much as possible. My mindset is that we will treat the room as if there is only one set of side surrounds in the room. Does that seem like a fair comprimise?4.gif

Another route I have thought about lately would be to sell all 4 RS7s and replace them with 2 RC7s. I'd rather replace them with 4 RB75's but damn those are spendy.

Anyway back to absorbtion. I agree that my back wall needs to be one big broadband absorber. I can also treat the front and angle portions of the shelf. What's going to be virtually impossible is behind the RC7s up on the shelf, there is simply no room for any kind of construction or pre bought whatevers. I can work on the side corners near the back where the back wall and side wall come together. I can also work on making some 45 deg traps along the ceiling and side walls but I have never understood how well that would work. Seems to me that the low frequencies would just skim along the surface rather than penetrate it.

So with all this info, what do you feel my next steps are? Continue to beef up the absorbtion on the back wall?

• 1 month later...

I just thought a bump might bring this back onto the forum, let those of us that were following it get a feel for where m00n is now is his treatment program. (Why do I feel it's going to be more than a 12 step program?) I know I have an inquiring mind and want to know. I actually have this, arttos' room, and a few other select architetural threads in my subscriptions file and reread them every couple weeks, seems every time I do I learn something new, or it makes some other comment from another thread gel a little more in my brain.

So, how IS the room coming, m00n? Any changes in the last month?

To get that .pdf file, you need to send justin an email and ask for the link and download a 27mb file. (for some reason i think it's 100mb, but the file on my pc only says 27mb...hmmmmmm) The reason I say this is because he'd like a donation to help cover all of the costs that he went through in putting this together (speaking of which, i've still gotta send him some money once i get around to setting up an account for myself...no, i haven't forgotten yet!) I think he asks for around $5, but I'm not sure. To be honest though, I haven't gotten myself to sit down and read the bloody thing...it's very sporatic and changes topic quite often so it's hard to get into a good rhythm and sometimes I won't understand something when normally in context i would. anyways, it is a very good source of knowledge...i think one of these days imma sit down and turn it into a concise more step by step progression of ideas (but i'll save that for when i retire or something, lol).

----------------

On 4/2/2004 7:43:04 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I just thought a bump might bring this back onto the forum, let those of us that were following it get a feel for where m00n is now is his treatment program. (Why do I feel it's going to be more than a 12 step program?) I know I have an inquiring mind and want to know. I actually have this, arttos' room, and a few other select architetural threads in my subscriptions file and reread them every couple weeks, seems every time I do I learn something new, or it makes some other comment from another thread gel a little more in my brain.

So, how IS the room coming, m00n? Any changes in the last month?

----------------

Champagne, very happy to hear that you are finding it helpfull. 1.gif. Nothing has changed since I made my bass traps. What I have been concentrating on was speakers. I've decided to sell my RS7s and replace them with RC7s. So, as you most likely have seen my RS7s are up for sale. I just ordered 3 new RC7s today. Be here in about a week and a half. 1.gif.

Then i will start working on mounting them, once that's done, I'll get back to accoustic treatment..... If artto will still help me. Something tells me he's discusted with me. 4.gif2.gif

----------------

On 4/3/2004 1:43:00 AM formica wrote:

Lol... I though you were selling both RS7 and RC7s... I guess I wasn’t all there when I read it.
5.gif

Rob

----------------

I was going to sell my RC7s and RS7s and run RB75s. However, I did a sound test between the RC7 and RB75 and found that I much prefered the sound of the RC7, so I'm keeping the two RC7s that I have.

m00n, Artto,

Thanks for conducting this thread out in the open for all of us. I have illusions or should I say delusions of getting a new house and setting up a listening/HT room similar to what you are doing here for us all to see. The wealth of information here is staggering. I look at some of and think man that is obvious if you think about it, and then of course I realize what is really more obvious I did not think about it. I am really learning a lot from this. m00n I appreciate your willingness to share your growing pains and artto's willingness to share his expertise with us.

Jim

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

OK, so have you done any more since September mOOn? As soon as I get goin again, I want to experiment with the bass traps as you have. Although the back of my room only has approx. 4' of wall on either side, with an opening in the center. I had planned at one time of putting in some french doors but... still haven't totally decided on that. I don't know if it's better to leave the room open or not? Anyway give us an update man! 9.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I am so ashamed! I've not done crapola. 15.gif

Mounting my RC7s on end and tilted down towards the seating position, while at the same time, building cubbies into the wall so they don't extend so far into the room is proving to be more than I really *WANT* to deal with. I have to but don't want to. I just got done with 2 weeks of vacation, I should have done something then but was too lazy.