what are the best year model(s) cornwalls?

avman

Even with the low price and the convenience of CNC cut MDF, the PE Dayton MKBoom will include some BB.  PE would have me trust wood screws into the MDF to secure the drivers, the handle, and the feet.  I’d sooner trust double faced tape. Instead, I glued hardwood dowel plugs to each driver screw location and BB squares to the insides of the top, bottom, and back where the handle and feet attach.  I know, the added plugs and squares decrease the internal volume, which throws off PE’s “precise” calculations; so sue me.

Which would you trust to hold a screw, 13-ply BB or compressed sawdust?  Nonetheless, I trust Klipsch to make new Cornwalls, as well as their other fine products, from MDF in such ways as to guarantee structural integrity.  Just don’t waste your breath trying to convince me that MDF was chosen for “sonic superiority.”

If money were no object and I wanted the best sounding Cornwalls, the new Cornwall IV would be my choice. Nonetheless, IMO, sonic superiority exists despite MDF, not because of it.

3ED924C7-74B8-4C07-9E99-76D75A539224.jpeg

30 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Even with the low price and the convenience of CNC cut MDF, the PE Dayton MKBoom will include some BB.  PE would have me trust wood screws into the MDF to secure the drivers, the handle, and the feet.  I’d sooner trust double faced tape. Instead, I glued hardwood dowel plugs to each driver screw location and BB squares to the insides of the top, bottom, and back where the handle and feet attach.  I know, the added plugs and squares decrease the internal volume, which throws of PE’s precise calculations; so sue me.

Which would you trust to hold a screw, 13-ply BB or compressed sawdust?  Nonetheless, I trust Klipsch to make new Cornwalls, as well as their other fine products, from MDF in such ways as to guarantee structural integrity.  Just don’t waste your breath trying to convince me that MDF was chosen for “sonic superiority.”

If money were no object and I wanted the best sounding Cornwalls, the new Cornwall IV would be my choice. Nonetheless, sonic superiority exists despite MDF not because of it.

Not convinced.  99% of wood speaker cabinets made by top speaker companies are made with MDF, and that includes speakers that are so expensive that the incremental cost of using BB would be inconsequential.  Vandersteen, KEF, Dynaudio, Legacy, PSB, Paradigm, etc. etc.. are made w/ MDF.  As are the vast majority of Klipsch speakers that are NOT intended for installation in amusement parks, transportation stations, etc..  And even those speakers generally have MDF motorboards.  

Like I said, if MDF is such garbage, why are you all hanging out on the website of a brand that uses this material extensively throughout it's product lineup?  ..Maybe form your own "DIY w/BBP" Forum outside of Klipsch.com.?

8 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Not convinced.  99% of wood speaker cabinets made by top speaker companies are made with MDF, and that includes speakers that are so expensive that the incremental cost of using BB would be inconsequential.  Vandersteen, KEF, Dynaudio, Legacy, PSB, Paradigm, etc. etc.. are made w/ MDF.  As are the vast majority of Klipsch speakers that are NOT intended for installation in amusement parks, transportation stations, etc..  And even those speakers generally have MDF motorboards.  

Like I said, if MDF is such garbage, why are you all hanging out on the website of a brand that uses this material extensively throughout it's product lineup?  ..Maybe form your own "DIY w/BBP" Forum outside of Klipsch.com.?

I don't believe anyone is trying to convince you of anything.  Feel free to use whatever you want to use and move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I don't believe anyone is trying to convince you of anything.  Feel free to use whatever you want to use and move on.

Remember this is the guy who was telling us all what was best and why and had heard no pro Klipsch gear but he knew it was all bad. Tkae it for what it is worth and be amused or ignore him. One thing for sure logic will not prevail.

2 minutes ago, nitrofan said:

This is a ridiculous argument. It's like asking someone if they'd rather have a solid piece of wood cut from a tree or a bunch of wood giblets glued together and them answering "give me the wood giblets please, as I feel they are superior"  Who would do that? 

Don't go down the rabbit hole.  LOL  Personally I just think he's sitting back playing devils advocate and laughing while more people dive in.  We will however send you an invitation when we get the Baltic Birch site up and running with the videos and testing that Dave will be doing.  

• Like 1

No actually the very best ones are the ones we heard in Roy's lab today. A significant improvement and the boomy box sound I disliked is GONE. They were really nice. These were very well ballanced and quite musical and it was a pleasant surprise to hear them.

12 hours ago, Pete H said:

Don't go down the rabbit hole.  LOL  Personally I just think he's sitting back playing devils advocate and laughing while more people dive in.  We will however send you an invitation when we get the Baltic Birch site up and running with the videos and testing that Dave will be doing.  

I am looking forward to the Tannerite  test myself. Yeah you just never know if someone is a troll or really thinks that way at times. As long as you are entertained by it and don't get serious it can be fun. He had another thread which ended up over 100 pages I think before it died down and there was a lot of comedy gold there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

No actually the very best ones are the ones we heard in Roy's lab today. A significant improvement and the boomy box sound I disliked is GONE. They were really nice. These were very well ballanced and quite musical and it was a pleasant surprise to hear them.

I am looking forward to the Tannerite  test myself. Yeah you just never know if someone is a troll or really thinks that way at times. As long as you are entertained by it and don't get serious it can be fun. He had another thread which ended up over 100 pages I think before it died down and there was a lot of comedy gold there.

Yep, the New Cornwall IV is a great improvement...but what has been done to the Heresy IV is simply amazing!  It actually brought tears to my eyes today!  Just like when I first heard  K-horns so many years ago!  PWK is certainly grinning about the new Heresy IV !!  That was Chief Bonehead's intention, too!  Those familiar with the different Heresy versions over the years, will totally freak-out when hearing the Heresy IV for the first time!  Trust me!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

I know I'm going out on a "guessing limb" here, but I suspect that the new Cornwall may not be using a K-33 woofer. BTW, I'm about to bring my "new/old Super Cornwalls" up from the basement this week after fitting them with the Tweeters you sent me. I will curve them and put them in the system as side channels, with KP-250's firing off the ceiling in my evolving Dolby Atmos setup in the living room.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marvel said:

No boominess would move them right up the ladder ...

I agree with this notion. My Super Heresy Mod, doesn't have that boominess, unless they are placed wrongly in a particular room that give them a large peak. Cornwalls, being larger and going down to 30 Hz. easily have more limited placement. The bigger the box, the less freedom of placement you have, unless it's a huge room, of course, but not many people have that. My brother wants to hear my Super Heresy 2.0 cabs and trade me for his Cornwalls, which are too big for his new house. He borrowed a pair of my Heresy's before, but they were stock, so they lost the contest in his old house, so to speak. It's happening tomorrow, so we will see what I come home with. LOL.

On 10/15/2019 at 5:32 PM, HPower said:

Claude, 

Way to go Mr buss kill... this was getting good.🍺🍕.

And you know as well as I do, the best Cornwall is just south of Montreal but I am not sure what year it was built.

sorry for the late reply, but I'm pretty sure only Canadians will get you reference! I'm sure there are lots of Corners and Walls in the buildings of that city, however! LOL.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

sorry for the late reply, but I'm pretty sure only Canadians will get you reference! I'm sure there are lots of Corners and Walls in the buildings of that city, however! LOL.

Ya buddy, I figured I was playing to a small crowd there... probably just you. 😮

OK picture this. You are driving down a road in Hope Arkansas and suddenly you hear Toccata in D Minor. Puzzled you look down and your radio is not on and so what the heck???? What can it be? Suddenly the sky darkens and it is like you drove onto a monster or evil scientist lab type movie set and by now you get more than a little concerned. Look, up there ahead on the left where the lightning is striking the ground bolt after bolt you see a sign. Looks like birds in the distance and as you struggle through your fear and the thundering organ music, which is getting quite loud by now in case you were wondering, you see big birds dodging the lightning bolts. You cant turn back so you have to go forward into the pending doom facing you. Suddenly you see a sign that says "Alchemical Lab of Wood Doom Ahead---BEWARE!!"  You get there finally and the lightning is so continuous it looks like bright daylight and those big birds are not Sesame Street they are Harpys reveling in your fear and there you see751062906_LabofWoodAlchemy.thumb.JPG.5bd681522e4300d3c8b6381a8d0ec8fb.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dave A said:

OK picture this. You are driving down a road in Hope Arkansas and suddenly you hear Toccata in D Minor. Puzzled you look down and your radio is not on and so what the heck???? What can it be? Suddenly the sky darkens and it is like you drove onto a monster or evil scientist lab type movie set and by now you get more than a little concerned. Look, up there ahead on the left where the lightning is striking the ground bolt after bolt you see a sign. Looks like birds in the distance and as you struggle through your fear and the thundering organ music, which is getting quite loud by now in case you were wondering, you see big birds dodging the lightning bolts. You cant turn back so you have to go forward into the pending doom facing you. Suddenly you see a sign that says "Alchemical Lab of Wood Doom Ahead---BEWARE!!"  You get there finally and the lightning is so continuous it looks like bright daylight and those big birds are not Sesame Street they are Harpys reveling in your fear and there you see751062906_LabofWoodAlchemy.thumb.JPG.5bd681522e4300d3c8b6381a8d0ec8fb.JPG

Ah good old Particleboard, the foremost reason I've never moved from my circa 1985 home which was built with Fir, Cedar and... real Brick. 🔨📏

Wb