• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 10/3/2003 4:04:25 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

On 10/3/2003 3:26:12 PM fini wrote:

Hey, don't I have a say, here?? Who do you guys think you are, Arnold Schwartzeneger??

fini

----------------

NO!>

----------------

Aul be bach.

----------------

On 10/3/2003 6:53:42 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

DODGER....Grunts? That was their first spoken language? Wrong day old bread breath. Where did they migrate from? (NATIVE AMERICANS)

----------------

Hello:

Using plate techtonics, the Native American could have come from any of several locations. Africa the earliest up to the Swedes, European and finally the South Americas. - Aztec is the most common thought.

In a religous vein, the Native American was created and put here. Darwinian, descended from the apes and crossed until the plates separated.

Native American has usually meant Indian or Eskimo. To stretch we can say the first generation of citizens born IN America.

The start was grunts, or a series thereof, leading to articulation. That articulation, style and accentuation did vary from tribe to tribe with American Indians. "gutteral" is a term used as far as sound along with "nasal."

I do not know regarding the Eskimo.

English, Italian or Spanish would be the language used by first native, born in, American that immigrated from another country. With plate techtonics and recent discoveries of ivory, bone and crude tools near the Aztecs, there are many theories.

Christopher Columbus would have taught Spanish or Italian. Marco Polo, Italian.

For the Three (3) ships used by Columbus, there was a combination of languges.

Before any verbal usage, there would have been sign language.

In any event, we can take the point of being born on American soil as the first Native Americans as a start.

Using Native as defined in Webster's New College Dictionary Third Edition.

dodger

"Instead, we have a system that supports the Christian holidays and ignores the world-wide Muslim majority. No wonder we have a bad image in the Middle-East."

There are a billion Moslems in this world, a billion Hindis, a billion Buddists, a billion "other or no religions(Jewish,shintu, wickan, athiest, etc.) and two billion adherants to Christianity. What Islamic majority are you talking about.

I am, like many others, part Native American. Most natives after the beligerancies ended assimilated into American society. The Native Americans of four centuries ago were doomed. Sooner or later civilization was going to catch up to them and the scourges of small pox and alchohol would have entered their lives. If not from western Europe then from Asia. The wealth of the Americas was destined to be explioted. (As in used for the betterment of mankind, not the slash and burn agriculture of the natives.)

When Roger Williams bought Providence Plantations from the Narragansetts, they thought that they got the better part of the deal. The soil was dead from unscientific farming practices and the Narragansetts had moved inland. Clearcutting as they went. They had clearcut "10,000 leagues inland" from Narragansett Bay when Verizano sialed in in the early 1500s according to his log. When William and his company revitalized the land with seaweed and fish as fertilizer. The Indians wanted it back. You can't put the genie back into the bottle.

When I was a child I was very proud of my Indian heritage. Today with the whiners "leading" the Native community. I am unsure. I am very glad the Redskins are not changing their name.

Rick

uh, sorry to intrude....

if any of you find this thread at least somewhat thought provoking, or at least worth reading, may I suggest you get thee hi to a Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy of Ann Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

Probably the best book I've ever read in my adult life. They assigned it in high school and it was universally reviled, but I read it a couple of years ago and, jeez, did it change my outlook on things...

I did a cut and paste of a reply I sent more than a few months back ... hope it comes through ok.

about the original post...

I had seen this before (the bill of no-rights) and knew something was missing. As with all internet 'lore' it is written to promote a way of thinking. This thinking below is Republican/Libertarian (except for the part which promotes a xenophobic worldview, ie. us good/them bad way of thinking).

What is missing? It's really interesting to point this out.. but in the original 'bill of no rights' article (don't trust me, read it yourself at

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/norights.htm )

article VIII reads:

ARTICLE VIII:

You don't have the right to demand that our children risk their lives in foreign wars to soothe your aching conscience. We hate oppressive governments and won't lift a finger to stop you from going to fight if you'd like. However, we do not enjoy parenting the entire world and do not want to spend so much of our time battling each and every little tyrant with a military uniform and a funny hat.

Sometimes what is not said is more important than what *is* said. Just as Christians leave out the parts of the bible that make them uncomfortable or just don't 'fit' in this modern world (like epilepsy being caused by demons or the visually impaired not being able to be allowed into the inner 'sanctum', or women commanded to keep their heads covered and mouths shut while in church, etc), so the current version of this internet lore leaves out the original Article VIII, appends a xenophobic article to replace it.

What does that tell me?

What was, in your head, the color of the skin of those folks whom are described as needing housing, health care, transportation and color TV's, pool tables and weight rooms without working? In my mind they were people of color (I'm not proud of that, btw), or prisoners (our proud nation's biggest expenditure on free housing for the poor and people of color). However, statistics prove they are OVERWHELMINGLY white, women, and single parents working 50+ hours per week and still not making it. Astonishingly however, free education seems to be supported in this bill of no rights. I applaud that! Good for the writer!

Maybe there were some people of color who got this particular forward, I can't tell.

Forrest (daily confronted with his own racist leanings)

------------------------

and now, since a comment by Gary made me think of it... on a much lighter note

Spielberg was considering a movie about the lives of the three great composers of the German-Austrio-Hungarian tradition. He approached three great actors, Dineiro, Hanks, and Schwarzenegger.

Tom Hanks, an ardent admirer of the classic tradition, wanted to be Beethoven.

Dineiro, a fan of the neo-classical romantic tradition, wished to play Brahms.

Spielberg went to Arnold and asked him to play the third composer.

Arnold said, "OK. I'll be Bach"

------------------------

----------------

On 10/4/2003 12:02:37 AM fini wrote:

I don't know about anyone else here, but I
do
get a bit riled-up over funny hats. Musta read "Go Dog, Go!" too many times to my kids.

fini

----------------

When I was a kid, I always wanted one of those cool party trees in my backyard. And yes, I do like your hat.1.gif

How's it goin Forrest? I can always count on my late night buds to come out of the shadows.

Just finished watching Dreamcatcher. Sick movie but sicker book. Gotta love Stephen King.

"uh, sorry to intrude....

if any of you find this thread at least somewhat thought provoking, or at least worth reading, may I suggest you get thee hi to a Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy of Ann Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

Probably the best book I've ever read in my adult life. They assigned it in high school and it was universally reviled, but I read it a couple of years ago and, jeez, did it change my outlook on things..."

Just finished re-reading Fountainhead. Describes to a 'T' what's wrong with the big corp I work for today.

Capitalism, the Unknown Ideal (which she co-authored with chairman-of-the-fed Greenspan) is also quite good.

Why Government Doesn't Work, Harry Browne(presidential candidate), will take off the top of your head.