K-Horn mod almost done.

Q-Man

This should be a picture of my false corner. I put in a bottom or floor so the speaker wouldn't be sitting on carpet anymore. I sprayed it with black lacquer when I was spraying the new tops.

I also added a tailboard to the corner, now I don't have to be concerned about having such a tight fit.

Sorry, lousey picture. Let me resize it and try again.

post-2405-1381924968704_thumb.jpg

Man! It's hard to take a picture of a black speaker. I'll have to try some more.

I made this top to the exact shape of the 311-90 horn. I also sprayed the horn with black lacquer to see if I can live with it this way. I kind of like the look of the bare horn. That's why I spaped the top to match the horn. If I end up not liking it then the horn only will be covered with grill cloth and slid back into the tight fitting top.

post-2405-1381924969078_thumb.jpg

Side view.

I'm really happy with the sound using John Warrens

Hot Rodded AA networks. The only mod was to add another 3.0 uf Hovland capacitor to try to make the network crossover at 300Hz. instead of 400Hz.

Now this worries John and he wants me to send him a 290 driver and 311-90 horn so he can design the perfect network for me. John just bought some new test equipment and I think he wants to play with them. You know, a kid and his new toys. I think I'll take him up on his kind offer. I went this far, so I might as well go all the way. I'm also curious how my ear is going to compare with what

he comes up with.

post-2405-1381924969278_thumb.jpg

Indy,

They are built out of oak plywood and oak hardwood to match the the oak of the existing bass horn. The top and bottom radius was cut with a router and then edge banded or veneered. I call it edge banding. I used hardwood for the left and right sides that touch the sides of the horns.I had to use hardwood because each horn and each side of each horn is slightly different. I had to cut and sand some strange compound angles here and I didn't want to have to try to use edge banding. These were the hard pieces to make.

The horns are a tight fit. To insert them into the last 1/8" of the cavity I had to tap them with a mallet. These tops have a sub bottom to look like the Klipsch B style. I just went with about another 1/2" of rise to accent it more.

I then sprayed them with two coats of black lacquer. Nothing fancy.

I didn't take any pictures of the building of these tops. I didn't think anyone would really be interested.

This mod makes the Klipschorn about the same height as the Jensen Imperial in the picture that I posted. They are 54-3/4" high.

I thought you guys would be more interested in the false corners with an attached tailboard and floor. I would suggest that those using false corners on a carpet floor put in a floor piece.

• 3 years later...

Kudret,

Just for kicks look at the picture of the Jensen Imperial bass horn. The Imperial backed loaded horn puts out some powerfull bass. The Imperial may too be a good bottom for the Altec. I shound figure out a way to get one to Warren, so he can take some measurements.

Has it been four years? Wow!

I'm satisfied, The sound is sweet, and it stopped my need to tweak. I switched to McIntosh amps and a Parasound Halo prosessor, but you may know that. So I've just been listening for a change. I't been ninda nice. My first four years on the forum was change, change,change. BUT! I'm going to be building a new shop soon and the urge to build some more and maybe different bass horns is sure to return.

I've been watching what you have been doing. Nice! I don't have a dedicated room [:'(].

• 3 months later...

Bump for Soundbound.

In this topic you will find a picture of the Imperial next to a Klipschorn.

It may not be visible in the pics of this most interesting project, but does the mid driver need a back support as is used with the K55 drivers? That driver looks awfully heavy!

You can't see the support. I bought some metal "L" brackets and made a wood base to support the driver and horn. The driver weights about 25 lbs. and the horn even more. The horn isn't made to be built into a cabinet. It has holes in it to be used with nuts and bolts for hanging it from a ceiling or rig.

You can see some pictures of the back on John Warren's web site. Look under Technical Questions for Jensen Imperial Question. There is a link to his site. You can't see the two front supports.