The Power and Glory of Stereo-40...my Cornwalls will have to embrace it and my McIntosh will despise it!

jt1stcav

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(lord - 15 posts while I am plodding through this one...heh. )

I vaguely remember seeing that somewhere... but it's definitely an idea. Sure would float in France better than Cuba.

OF course, the de Gaulle line is a beauty.

This has actually been one of the better threads in here, surely better than the horror of that Iraq war thread, which felt like banging one's head with a wooden mallet.

While I dont agree with some of the rhetoric here when falling into conservative platitudes, at least the debate has been civilized, and the blind patriotism held to a low ferver.

To move some of the points forward, we have some difficult times ahead and it will take some leaders with vision, compassion, the will to compromise, and see all sides, perhaps even allowing some understanding for other views outside of our rather myopic vision of the World. Ironically enough, many US citizens see the Worlds in a very narrow view that really becomes grossly apparent when one leaves the county and sees the angle from a different perspective.

This war against terriorism has been more complex as the enemy was not a country. Our current administration seemed to want to make it simple. The whole idea of the "Axis of Evil" and "those evil-doers" seems almost child-like in vision and brought a devisive nature. With so many countries READY to stand behind the United STates after that horror, we let it all go with terrible decisions, many for the wrong reasons. As soon as the transplantation from bin Laden to Saddam occured, things went from bad to worse.

Now we see the outcome and the mess. WE entered. We shunned much of the World that knew better. And to make matters worse, WE HAD NO PLAN AT ALL. As stated before, there will be difficult times ahead.

kh

Kelly, France, Germany and Russia are not most of the world. And of late Russia and Germany have been coming around and seem more willing to help. That leaves France who has been no great friend of the US since DeGaulle (Since we concored the Vishy really). Each successive French leader since the General, seeing how much he gained in popularity by it, has bashed the US. It's just a French thing. France is just a piddling little nothing country with a Napoleon (an Italian) complex. This is nothing against the French people in general, just their choice in leadership.

Rick

Man oh man. I left for a few hours and 2 pages flew by. I'm too tired to catch up but I'm glad things still seem to have a civil tone.

Do you really want this thread back Jim? Maybe you could almost buy another amp and start a new one.2.gif

I've averaged about 3 hours of sleep/night this week and I'm so tired I can hardly move. Thank goodness I have a 3 day weekend coming.1.gif

----------------

On 10/9/2003 10:11:48 PM garymd wrote:

"Do you really want this thread back Jim? Maybe you could almost buy another amp and start a new one."
2.gif

----------------

If time was money, I could afford two!

I'd like to have Dean's preamp, really...but I just paid a quarterly installment on my property taxes yesterday, so now I'm back to square one. It'll have to wait until February when I receive my income tax refund.

You won't hold it for me that long, will you, Dean?2.gif

Never imagined that winning a bid on a tube amp, and then backing out the last minute because of a typographical error, could end up so political.

Then again...it sounds like a political promise!11.gif

EDzapper - Let me get this straight, you are Debunking the common misrepresentation? I do apologize if you are responding to something I did not read earlier, But GWB (to the best of recollected research) was only assign to the Texas and Alabama ANG. His flight training and certification took place in Texas. The type of Aircraft you mention is correct.

Things get fuzzy here (you have to take note that the information can only be gathered from publications and announcements of the time - the Military does not release your records with out your consent and President Bush has not given that, nor released his own records) but it does appear he got enough hours to fly without an instructor then qualified for combat duty (with the prerequiste hours) around 1971.

The missing years begin in 1972. This is where the person (purportedly) in charge of the group he supposedly was to report to in Alabama stated that he had never seen him. That is the reported and researched item. His failure to appear in Alabama has yet to be proven, but is has yet to be debunked. Research has found publications with listings of certification (and decertification) to fly and by the time he was to report to Alabama he was no longer certified to fly.

Do I have 'proof'. Not first hand, but this is my resaerch of accurately footnoted and validated source reference information. It took quite some time to get comfortable with and research the information. There are a long list of acusations about GWB past that did pass the initial litmus tes for research - this is not one of them, from what I can see.

This is the work required to prove or debunk....

All I gotta say is if 10 WPC is all you need in a vacuum tube amp, then this Stereo-20 is for you. At $285 it's a steal! If I didn't listen to high-energy pipe organ recordings and instead only listened to vocals or acoustic jazz ensembles, then I would've kept this beauty. The owner is honest and reliable (and if he could quote Trickey-Dick, he'd say, "I'm not a crook"), and backs up his word with action! Maybe he should run for office.

To really screw this thread up and help me learn - What is suggested as a better tube source for those that want the acoustical/jazzy clarity and the ability to recreate the crisp triangle while the rest of the orchestra is booming at highest SPL?

That last part is what always brings me back to Klipsch - but matching electronics is now going to be more important as my music only room is starting to become more refined. Like most - I enjoy too wide a range of music to not attack solutions for the whole gamut...

Can of worms question - This is my play area. I had Heresy with old HK740. I made a couple of Parnham's 2 Pi (mostly to work on carpentry skills) and now have them in place with Heresy moved to mains in dual duty on the downstairs minimal HT setup (a place that for many years was the kid's hangout - we'll see if that continues when daughter returns for summer breaks). The 2 Pis are Ok (very pretty I might add - oak plywood, oak trim and an Art Deco grill - I didn't know i had it in me) and will go to daughter when she gets a place of her own (hopefully next year at college).

The answer you requested - my goal is a three way - Pick and choose my drivers and horns - with horns from say 400hz up (subject to change) that may most resemble a Cornwall in efficiency and sound when completed. I have yet to determine if I would introduce sub - my first shot would be without.

My apologies - My mom is cajun (guess that makes me part so) and I don't seem to be able to speak without telling a story...

Solid state (at least mine is) - their real value is probably not audiophile per se, but you get some very good SS from what I consider some of HK's better days. At one time you could pick these up for a song - I got mine for $15 about ten years ago. Their popularity has surged as of late, but I believe $100 is still achievable and well worth it. This is 30 watts per, pretty darn clean.

There are some folks that know this amp/reciver better than me that can give you better detail.

----------------

On 10/10/2003 10:23:54 AM hwatkins wrote:

Solid state (at least mine is) - their real value is probably not audiophile per se, but you get some very good SS from what I consider some of HK's better days. At one time you could pick these up for a song - I got mine for $15 about ten years ago. Their popularity has surged as of late, but I believe $100 is still achievable and well worth it. This is 30 watts per, pretty darn clean.

There are some folks that know this amp/reciver better than me that can give you better detail.
----------------

I have a 630 on they way to me that I got off eBay for $70 delivered. As a matter of fact, I've been waiting since the Payapl funds were sent on 9/30. Hopefully this transaction doesn't turn out to be a hassle.

Chris