Everything must go!

Deang

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And side-stepping the usual Kelly / Craig flame war that is starting up again, over PP Vs SET - AGAIN.

Dean,

I've obviously missed something here and presume that things are a bit tight at the moment moneywise. I hope that things improve for you.

It sounds like you are in a similar position to a friend of mine who has also just sold off all his stuff - heck - he is even selling off his prized vinyl.

Once you have sold everything off are you going to be able to buy anything else to replace it - or are we talking about a period sans music?

As I said - hope things work out.

cheers

Tom,

As Kelly so well displayed, the Cary SLP90L(line only, no phono) I have is a later production one that is built to use 4 12AU7s like the next later model, the SLP94. The earlier built SLP90s had 2 12AX7s and only 2 12AU7s. Both SLP90 and 94 would use 12AX7s in the phono section if it was built with a phono input. I do not have the manual at this point and not sure if Ole' Dean still has it, but I did not get it from the dealer he traded it to. I think there was a schematic, but I don't remember. Not to start a 6SN7 vs tiny triode 12AU7 debate, but this Cary is an excellent sounding piece. It will deliver all the flavor of quality NOS tubes you may wish to roll in, and you will be able to hear the difference Mullard EZ81s offer compared to say Sylvania, and Mullard 12AU7s compared to Telefunkens or RCAs. My pre also has the Cary oil caps upgrade. I know more can be spent on a preamp, but this unit when configured with the cap upgrade and the right tubes, is very musical and presents a wonderful soundstage.

Klipsch out.

Max,

This isn't about PP Versus SET in anyway shape or form !! This is purely about who is full of it up to there eye balls.

Allan,

I hate to say but your one to talk about being nasty these days.

My Opinion on Kelly was solidfied lately by Kelly leading me along through email saying he was in negotiations with Mike at Magnaquest about me buying Iron direct from Mike and Kelly putting one of my amps on Mike's website. Kelly told me a number of times in email that he was talking to Mike about it. I once again got tired of waiting for things "Kelly Holsten" to come to fruitation so I gave Mike a Call. Kelly told me he was hard to deal with and wouldn't want to Deal in small quanities. This was not true in any way ! Then Mike informed me he hadn't even Heard from Kelly in ages !! I've wondered about Kelly for sometime. Now I don't have to wonder he is full of Sh!t !

Craig

I'm baffled at how you guys are ripping into CRAIG for simply stating the obvious. It's not craigs fault that kelly is constantly spewing crap about things he has no clue about. I applaud craig for stating the obvious.

I'm no audiophile but I can sure tell when someone is so full of themselves that they embelish the truth (aka-lie) on an hourly basis because they think everyone will buy it without question.

You will never see kelly hype anything that he doesn't own. If you own it, are proud of it and talk about it ...be ready to hear how terrible it is if Kelly doesn't happen to own it.

He recently said this about the HF-81. "I cant tell you how SOME of these amps (the nut is that ALL dont sound this way) can totally AMAZE. And I mean the word LITERALLY."

This statement in itself is such hogwash and so wishy-washy. If you took his advice and got an hf-81 and decided it sounded like crap Kelly could refer you back to this thread and his completely rediculous statement.

"Well, I told you that only SOME of these amps totally AMAZE me. You must have gotten a bad one that probably wouldn't sound good to me either." 14.gif

And yes I agree that allen is nasty these days too. Look at his statements of late.

True enough, Craig. You have every right to take me to task for my outubursts against Clipped. What I wrote was uncalled for and really unacceptable on a public forum. HOWEVER--for you to bring up private BUSINESS between yourself and Kelly here and rip into him for something we KNOW NOTHING ABOUT is truly A*SHOLE behavior. If you want to attack him for what he writes here that's fine I guess, but to do what you did is really, really WRONG!

So much for that side-step!

Are we now going to see Kelly Bashing replacing Craig bashing (which, incidently - I missed in the main)?

Obviously I cannot pass any comment on what has / or has not happened between Kelly and Craig.

As for us now adopting the line that Kelly doesnt know anything - that is plainly silly. You may not agree with his take on things but lets not belittle the man's knowledge. He has shown in innumerable postings detailed knowledge on many aspects of our hobby, most notably in tube amps and I, for one, have benefitted greatly from his input, despite having a PP amp!!

And for the record there is no harm in acknowledging Craig's knowledge and abilities - there seem to be a goodly number of beneficiaries there too.

And that is as even handed as I can be.

Max,

I'm not saying Kelly knows nothing, I am saying Kelly does not know everything and most of what he does know he learned from reading or word of mouth not with true experience that he potray's that he has ! That is the problem with the internet anyone can profess to be anything ! Sometimes you "have to read between the lines" wonder where I picked up that line 2.gif

Craig

"Sometimes you "have to read between the lines"

Not a strong point for either of us!

Actually it was more BigBussa's comments I was referring to than your own.

As for where Kelly gets his info I am more interested in how he manages to retain it all. Sometimes I feel like I am talking to an audio-encylopedia in exchanges with Kelly.

And yes - encyclopedia's can be wrong on occasion.

No doubt about it, Kelly is a prolific writer, sends he point across in a "I know this to be true" way. He appears to be highly intelligent, which would be a damn shame if he's wasting that intellect BS'ing on the net. Some of his posts do leave question in your mind, if he's full of it in regards to whether he has first hand experience or he's dictating what he has read.

I think if someone is talking on first hand experience they should express it in that fashion. If it is knowledge obtained through liteture read then don't make false claims, and credit the source accordenly.

I know Kelly has a following here with alot of forum members, and its truely understandable, he adds that life into the threads with his colorfull posts, takes the dullness out of the daily read on this BB. What is said needs to hold true if you claim it to be true.

Craigs personal/business relations should stay in email or phone contact as it is none of our business, but he's a big boy and does what he feels warrants appropriate action. As I stated earlier, if he's straight there should be no problem replying to Craigs views.

Tom

1.gif

Both Craig and Kelly contribute much to the knowledge base of us on the forum. Kelly's prose is entertaining and informative, his memory seems very good and his pictures are outstanding. Craig's technical approach and get to the point, hold no emotion back postings are a contrast in personalities but no less valid.

There are those of us among us who are great story tellers. I don't think Tom Clancey has lived any of his adventures but, it would be the worlds loss if he kept his thoughts to himself. My.02.

Rick

No, I think this is it. Craig has just come down off of his horse, and is calling Kelly out of the Saloon. If it happens, it's going to happen here.

Allan, I was up talking to Craig on the phone at 6:30 this morning trying to get him to pull the post (because I'm such a good guy you see), but there was no way. Craig is pissed to no end. Kelly's only hope is to track down an Uzi, and come out firing.

Damn! I love a good fight.

What to respond to this In fact, I wrote out about five posts in response, one of which listed every amp I have either auditioned or had in my home for a period of time. Another actually went through the trouble of posting about 25 posts from Craig dating from 1-2-02, the day he first actually stated he might have an interest in anything related to tubes.

I have realized something from posting a good 4500 posts in this forum. No matter how articulate your post, or what you say in a carefully constructed argument, there will be a sentence removed, taken out of context, and then whipped into another angry froth of a post.

Most of the people that have been here for longer than 20 months know the history. While few journey to the archives, I invite any interested to do so. Craig's(NOS440) entire life with tubes, from learning about his first amp, to his questions on parts, bias, tubes, transformers, to his statements on audio, are here in this ONE PLACE, from beginning to end. This is a rarity really, when you think about it. All my recommendations and comments concerning audio are there as well.

As for my experience in music/audio, this has been an interest of mine since I was a kid. I have been around music all my life, either behind the instruments, recording the music, broadcasting the music, reviewing the music, setting up gear to record or reproduce said music, listening, and finally writing about all the above. I have been actively writing about music in either print or online since the 80s. I set up 2 channel systems for clients making the recs, purchases, and the final setup in home. Sometimes, I took gear trades for work. Most anything ever GIVEN to me was in appreciation or pay back for work done. The karma has worked in my favor for years and I have returned said favors too many times to count.

I have not misrepresented myself in this forum. If I have HEARD a piece of gear, I usually state it. If I have OWNED a piece of gear, I state that. If I have talked to associates, either in business or through friendship about gear, and I trust their ears, I report those findings. If I have READ something from someone I trust, I will state that in context. Again, most of my posts here are long and detailed, surely not lacking descriptive content or details. I obviously have opinions on things and state them. I have also given a lot of advice, most of it pretty reasonable and given from the experience I have gained in this hobby both as a business and an interest. Come to think of it, almost everyone that has purchased a recommendation has written me a private mail thanking me. I dont profit much from the posts I give and am not running a business through this forum.

But if you think my advice is faulty, or an opinion circumspect, it's your right to disagree. Personally, I think I have a pretty good track record of comments, and I feel quite comfortable going through the archives and not seeing statement after statement contradicted in print. Others here are not so lucky. We all make changes, however.

One thing I will say upfront. Putting private business matters on a public forum is WRONG and should not EVER happen. This should be kept in personal mail, or by phone. I did Craig's website, company name, and logo. I penned his online presence via NOSValves.com. This latest deal with MagneQuest was asked as a favor, since I had been doing their website since the late 90s. The fact that ANY kind of arrangement was made public via this forum is incomprehensible. There is a whole underlying story here that is nobodys business, certainly not for a public forum to debate. Apparently, few in here see this distinction.

kh

----------------

On 10/9/2003 10:09:23 AM sunnysal wrote:

my hovercraft is full of eels. love long and prosper. rain on my parade will ya? neat attics make for busy hands. tony
----------------

Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya! Do you waaaaant ... do you waaaaaant ... to come back to my place, bouncy-bouncy?

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me? I ... I am no longer infected.

My nipples explode with delight!

3.gif

Judge: "Get on with it, get on with it."

Bailiff: "That's fine. On the 28th of May, you published this phrase book."

Publisher: "I did."

Bailiff: "I quote an example. The Hungarian phrase meaning 'Can you direct me to the station?' is translated by the English phrase, 'Please fondle my bum.'"

Publisher: "I wish to plead incompetence."

BigBusa, I personally feel you should be BANNED from the forum. I have NEVER said this about anyone and hate moderator involvement. But you are blatantly using this place to sell gear. And you are also turning benign bigot-esque quotes into legitimate personal threats.

IF the moderators do their duty, you would be gone, and all your screen names with it.

kh

----------------

On 10/9/2003 11:15:53 AM mobile homeless wrote:

There is a whole underlying story here that is nobodys business, certainly not for a public forum to debate. Apparently, few in here see this distinction.

kh

----------------

This happened once before to Kelly and was really way out of line. The post was retracted and apologies offered. I was hoping that was the end of it.

There are a lot of reasons for people doing what they do. It usually isn't cut and dried or black and white. I totally agree that it is their business to work those out in private.

Tempering Kelly's sarcasm, I would state the obvious that most here do see the distinction and it's thankfully only on occasion that lines are crossed.

Don, you might be careful with threats, veiled or otherwise. There is no good to come from it and an even more considerable downside. In the very best light, it is troubling.