McIntosh MC50

Vital

Does anyone know if this is a good tube amp? I found a pretty good deal here at a local pawn shop for a pair of these mono amps rated at 50watts each. Any idea on the sound quality or should I go for a Dynaco 70, EICO or something along those lines?

How does the MC50 compare to a pair of the Moondog Quicksilvers? Thanks in advance.

The MC-50 is first generation solid state - it just looks like a tube amp. It has the same slant front and chrome and black chassis that the golden era Mac tubes had, but with heat sinks and transistors where the tubes ought to be.

It's not a bad amp - some folks here swear by its stereo sisters, the MC-250, and the "Full Dress" MC-2505. Generally the MC-50s put out 70-75 watts each and have the famous Mac reliability.

When it was new, it was not considered the best sounding in its class - most reviewers preferring the Harmon Kardon Citation 12, Quad 303, or Dynaco Stereo 120. Of course the Quad had those funky European connectors to contend with, and the 120s tended to burst into flames when driven hard, so take that into account.

Beware of modifications and rust! For some reason the last several MC-50s I've seen for sale have been "monkeyed with" and had severe rust problems. Make sure the lettering on the end away from the controls is there. It'll make a difference if you ever decide to sell them. It's useful as ammunition if you want to chisel the price down, too.

My MC-50s sound a little bright and grainy on my Belles, compared to the "Gold Standard" Hadley 601 or Mac 240.

Anyway, if you can get them for less than $400-$500, and they "present" well, you'll be doing alright.

Vis a vis the Dyna Stereo 70 - a lot depends if you are a tube person or a solid state person. Many of the Dynas had build problems. Of course, you have to figure that sometime in the last 40 years or so, those amps with substandard workmanship would have been "culled from the herd" by natural selection.

Another consideration - the Macs were enough more expensive to start with that they are less likely sold to someone who would abuse them. A lot of the Dynas I've seen apparently spent time in a garage (or carport!)

Well, I'd better get back to work. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for the info. As for the Moondog Quicksilvers, my mistake. I just started reading about tubes a few months ago when I found this site and got my first pair of real speakers. I'm trying to take in all this info as fast as I can. This is a whole new world opening up for me. ; )

As for the MC50 thanks for info. Looking at it I thought it was a tube amp. SS is not the direction I want to go at all. I will be purchasing a tube pre-amp or amp in the next few weeks. Just trying to figure out what I want to get first. I will probably pick up one of these as recommended by mobile homeless just to get my feet wet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14974&item=3051456025

I have learned a ton on this forum and it is greatly appreciated.

• 18 years later...

I was born around the time the first McIntosh amps were built! Excellent synergy! Great combinations with Klipsch! Early Mac amps had a rated 0.5 % THD. This is, `high' by today's standards, consider: McIntosh rates conservatively, and one apparent advantage: tubes were all that we had for a long time. `We became used to this sound.' Looks like: tube amps when they distort, produce Even Order Harmonics Distortion. Solid State, transistor: Odd Order Harmonics Distortion. We, generally perceive even order THD to be, `nice, even desirable.' Conversely, Odd Order THD is, `undesirable, grating, akin to scraping chalk on a chalkboard.' Can be very bad, intolerable for melodic music!  UNLESS - You like very highly distorted Rock Guitar Music - Fuzz Tone, HEAVY DEATH METAL, Black Sabbath, & such! Then, likely an advantage! Is the concept: Very High Fidelity, Audiophile level reproduction of Lemmy Kilmister, `Motorhead Band,' `music' reproduction, a contra - diction? Even, an, `Oxy - MORON?'