"New" Heresy.....no tweeters!!!!!!

xvtwin

First post. Been lurking here for a while. Long enough to make an informed purchase of a beautiful pair of 1990 Klipschorns (WO) signed by PWK himself. Fun, fun, fun! Good job guys! Thanks for all the great information.

Next is to purchase Heresys for center and rear. Ebay. Won the auction. 1988, good condition, black, good price. UPS truck comes. I'm the proud owner of a pair of Heresys with NO TWEETERS! AND NO HOLES FOR TWEETERS! Just what I want for my center channel.

Did a search for "Heresy theater" here and there they were, my new speakers, subject of debate on this very forum. Seems that even people "in the know" did'nt know what they were. Found out today what they are.

Called Steve P. of Klipsch. I talked to him about a month ago about biamping the Khorns. He's a great representative of Klipsch, very helpful and friendly. I have "Professional Theater" surround speakers (TH-SR-2) designed for Pro Logic systems. No tweeter required due to the roll off at the frequency extremes of that system.

I have no one to blame for this purchase but myself. The speakers were not misrepresented on Ebay. If I had looked carefully at the pictures I would have noticed the absence of the tweeters; the speakers are black and I did'nt look close enough. Many posts refer to the Heresys as "theater speakers" but this seller really meant it. That's me. I'm Dumb of "Dumb and Dumber".

I ordered tweeters from Klipsch today ($35/ea) and crossovers ($75/ea). Crossovers are required because the TH-SR-2 network has nothing connected to the tweeter section. I don't have the technical knowledge to modify it myself. Now that I think about it, maybe I should contact NOSValves for his input. He only lives about ten minutes away from me.

Bottom line is that my new speakers cost me about $240 more than I thought they would. Hope I like the sound. Hope they last awhile.

Again, thanks to all on this forum for the great information.

----------------

On 10/9/2003 8:51:44 PM xvtwin wrote:

I ordered tweeters from Klipsch today ($35/ea) and crossovers ($75/ea). Crossovers are required because the TH-SR-2 network has nothing connected to the tweeter section.

----------------

Welcome on board... 1.gif

I was just wondering, which tweeters are getting? I'm not familiar with the TH series... but 35$ seems low when compared to the prices the Heritage K77 tweeters sell on ebay... ?

post any questions when you are ready for the mod...

Rob

Yep I saw those on eBay, in fact the seller originally had them listed as Klipsch Pro series sound reinforcement monitors so I emailed him and notified him that they were theater surround versions of the Heresy II. He did revise his auction accordingly, I thought it was plainly visible that the units had no tweeters in them. He may even of mentioned it in the auction text but I am not sure it has been awhile. Well looks like you are going to convert them to a full blown 3-way Heresy II so all is well. This is the very reason folks should ask lots of questions prior to dropping a bid on an auction. Let's face it some people just really do not know what they are selling.

xvtwin,

Congrats of the Khorns.

I saw the Heresy theater speakers on Ebay. They looked pretty nice.

A helpful recommendation. I wouldn't modify them. Right now, it seems to be Heresy season on Ebay. You can easily find a really nice, even close to mint, pair of heresys. Just buy them outright and resell the theater speakers.

Someone will want those theater speakers for sure.

Trying to turn those into what you think Klipsch Heresys are supposed to be may not be as easy as you think. And the results could be disappointing. Then you will have worthless boxes.

Just trying to help.