HT update

Tom Adams

Well, I've been threatening to give you guys an update, so here's some photos. The wife & I all pretty much moved in and as you can see, the HT is coming along. We still need to buy & install the projector & screen (still undecided what to buy) and we need to finalize the wiring hook up in the equipment cavity. The last photo is of our Den. Enjoy... 1.gif

HT001.jpg

HT002.jpg

HT003.jpg

HT004.jpg

Den.jpg

Tom

Yeah I know... That house just reaks of "extreme nice". 1.gif I love the trim down on your ground floor. Very nice windows and trim... Hmmm, you need to come to our house. My wife and I need someone to help us decide on how to decorate and modernize our humble dewling. It's so drab.

Thanks guys for the comments (even yours Doug 2.gif ).

moon - the HT room was planned & built as part of the house. As for the trim...we couldn't be more happy with what the builder's trim guys did. During construction I spoke to the guy that was in charge of the trim work and asked him what kinda beer would it take to really dress this place up. He said, "Don't worry. You've been pretty cool about things. I gotcha covered." And if you think the fireplace work is nice you should see some of the other work they did. As for decorating...you need to talk to the wife. She was in charge of colors, furniture, decorating, etc. OTOH, I did pick out some pictures and a few pieces of funiture that she approved of.

As for owning a home...at the risk of sounding like a whatever. Even though you're only 22, if you want to make home ownership happen, you can. You just have to set your mind to it. Even though I've been working since I was 13 (I'm 47 now), I really didn't understand how to "handle" money until a few years ago. If I were 22 again, I would invest every red cent I could get my hands on. I'm not suggesting living like a pauper, but the money I spent on new motorcycles and new cars....well, let's just say that had I bought used for a few years and invested the "leftover" money, I would be much further ahead. It's hard to convince folks right outta college to save & invest when they've been living on PB&J for 4 or 5 years. But the truth is that if you start early enough, then time is on your side. I'm also fortunate to be married to a very cool (like in she loves my audio & motorcycle habits), very non-beancounter-like financial controller. Without her bugeting/planning/forecasting/investing skills, this house wouldn't have been possible. In a nutshell, this house is $280K. We found and got approved for 100% financing. And at closing, we got $1000 back. My point is set the goal and get after it. Be vigilant about your credit report - AND CHECK ALL 3 CREDIT REPORTING SERVICES!! And if you've got some basic skills, don't be afraid of a little fixxer upper home. You'll learn things that come in handy when you build that dream home. The main thing is do everything possible to position yourself for being able to pay $800 in a house payment versus $800 in apartment rent. Ok - enough of the lecture. I'm getting on my own nerves now. 9.gif

Tom

And there are first time home owners programs too. When we bought the house we are in how, we went to a realitor looking for a lease to buy option. She asked why we wanted to lease, I said because we didn't have a down payment... She introduced us to some first time home buys options...

If you are serious, there are ways.1.gif

----------------

On 10/13/2003 9:20:05 PM space_cowboy wrote:

nicholti - Depending on your credit and debt ratios, you can easily put down less on a home that what all that gear in your apartment is worth.

----------------

Hehe, you might be right, but then there's no point in owning a home if all my home theater gear is gone.

Besides, I want a BIG BIG BIG house in beverly hills. I'm talking the kind with servants and servants for their servants. Just wait until I direct my big blockbuster and win the Oscar for Best Director. Then all my dreams will come true...

nicholti just remember yr ol buddy m00n.

Hey Tom.... You're home has inspired me to contact an interior designer. She is coming over on Saturday to start looking over what we have, and start giving us ideas.. Changed my wifes birthday present from a car stereo to this. 1.gif

I just hope my wife likes it. 4.gif

WOW!!!! Those windows are awesome. No lie, it gave me goosebumps. .3.gif I love the whole set up. Nice touch with the TV above the fireplace...Chris would love that. (I'll have to show him) Can't wait to see final pics of the theater room with everything in its place.

m00n...nice gift! Thats really cool. I'm sure your wife will love it. You get a gold star.2.gif

----------------

On 10/15/2003 3:26:49 PM wrench_peddler wrote:

The car stereo would have been MUCH cheaper. You are in trouble now. It's kinda like sound gear. One change demands about 20 more. Let us know what you want for your gear that has to be sold for the new decor.

----------------

When a snowball withstands the heat in hell is when I will sell my audio gear for house decor! And maybe not even then.2.gif

It's not something that we will do overnight. I expressed to this lady what we needed which was someone to come in and give us a direction. Take a look at what we have and make suggestions so we can go from there.

No-man-no... Mark MY words... 1.gif

My wife knows better than to even so much as have a daydream about me selling my gear in order to decore our house... Fact is, I waited for 3 years for her to do something. I am the one who is finally taking that first step... She has done nothing but ***** about this and that...

You ever see the movie "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks... Do you remember the scene were he finally starts too loose it and he laughs right in Shelly Longs face? 2.gif

Thus I refer you back to my previous post.11.gif

Well... no matter anyway. I decied to talk to my wife about what I wanted and she was not happy at all that I wanted to bring in an interior designer for the house, for her birthday... Good thing talked to her about it, she was not happy with me. Kind of pisses me off in a way at her selfish attitude about it.

Moon,

If your wife would rather have a car stereo for her birthday than the interior decorator, I'll bet there are a bunch of guys out there who would like to meet her sister!!! My wife sounds very similar to yours...Ain't it great?! (Well, most of the time...lol)

dkp

LOL... Yeah I dunno about the car stereo actually. Hmmm, now that I think about it, she may have been expecting a car stereo, perhaps she got onto the forum and seen my post. Honesty, I would rather wait until Christmas for something like that anyway. She mentioned that she would like to be able to froth her milk for hot chocolate every morning. I know she would like that too... I think I will get her one of those and then get the car stereo for Christmas. Besides, I am taking her out to a very nice dinner on her birthday.