What are you listening to?

joshnich

This forum is always a terrific place for info on audio equipment. But I find the most interesting threads are those that deal with music. Maybe its because I know more about the actual music than the audio equipment that people use to play it - but I think that lots of folks on this forum know their s**t.

So what at re you listening to? Lets make this different from Allens last post (a great thread) of a similar title, and limit it to recordings made in the last 5 years!

A short list...

Merle Haggard - "If I could only fly" (dont laugh unless you have heard it!)

Steve Earle " I feel alright" (ok maybe it over 5 years old)

Rosanne Cash "Rules of Travel"

Garrick Ohlsson "Pieces of a Dream" IMHO one of the best piano players you could hope to hear.

Maria Muldar "Richland Woman Blues"

Lyle Lovett " Step Insde This House" (IMHO his masterpiece)

James McMurtry "Saint Mary of the Wood"

Its funny but I listen to old jazz and classical but old and new almost everything else! What does that say if anything?

josh

Do we have to? 1 out of 1000 will have heard of anything but the jazz in this forum, where the number climbs to a staggering 5 out of 1000...heh.

Here's one that a few here might know. It's beautiful and worth a listen.

While it might remind some of Merle Haggard (while in a Denny's with LSD-25, Blueberry Pancakes, and some psilocybin cocoa), others will harken back to city sounds...

Please listen... I will award VERY special prize for the few that make it to the end, where a veritable Symphony of BEAUTY ERUPTS! Notice to lovely lyrics and mid-cut guitar break; I weep when I hear it.

Of course, TOP VOLUME is needed.

22 going on 23.MP3

kh

Nickel Creek - This Side

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - a live CD of their gig at the Hight Sierra Festival, 7/7/2001.

And, even though it was recorded in 1993, it was just made available to me recently...

Arvo Part - 'Te Deum' performed by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir and the Tallinn Chamber Orchestra. Hauntingly beautiful and dark.

Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

Picked it up yesterday on vinyl for $6, Decca recording - mint.

Gotta love the prices for decent classical vinyl. Jazz is getting seriously pricey around here. I found 3 Sonny Rollins recordings from the 70's yesterday and they wanted $50 per.

That's more than the CD prices. Suddenly vinyl isnt the cheap and chearful medium it used to be. Where are the original Dynagroove Sonny's (Nows the time - for example) I used to pick up for $10, mint?

As an aside I was talking yesterday to the importer of Project TT's here in Greece. Last week he sold more than 100 of the things for the first time ever. Seems TT's are now outselling SACD players and DVDa players about 3 to 1 (according to him that is).

Competition for vinyl is growing - just as I have found about 10 new places selling the stuff within half a mile of my office!!

recently ...

Waylon Jennings "Greatest hits" (LP) Just an awesome country LP for anytime.

Avenged Sevenfold "waking the fallen" (CD) Great new HARD, semi gothic rock. Good listening to LOUD after 4 or 5 boat drinks. Also, great to share with the neighbors on a friday night. 9.gif

Buck Cherry (either of their CDs.) Nice edgy hard rock.

Jonah Jones "Muted Jazz" (LP) Nice, relaxing LP for a sunday morning. Feels like I'm about to order dinner at a fancy resteraunt.

Steely Dan "Aja" (MSFL LP) Another great LP for a weekend morning or for early evening, mid volume level after 2 or 3 boat drinks.

Last Five Years?

Foo Fighters - One By One

Audioslave

David Bowie = Heathen. Best alblum in a LONG time from him.

Cake - Nugget (maybe more than 5 years old) Love the wit, love the brass, really enjoyable band.

Jane's Additction - Strays, not too bad, but not as good as their original stuff

Radiohead - Hail to the Theif, Kid A, Amneisac (my favorite active band)

Peter Gabriel - Up. Very much a let down.

Sorry, no Jazz. Don't know where to start.

Ocassionally will pop in some classical.

Love that LP! Phil Collins sounds like he has three hands on a couple of those tracks. Genesis Archive I has three disks of great live stuff from the two LPs right after this, Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (the entire alblum). Very nice mastering.

THE KNIFE!

Genesis - Live -LP 1971

Tom

9.gif

----------------

• Like 1

On 10/14/03 BigBusa said:

"Waylon Jennings "Greatest hits" (LP) Just an awesome country LP for anytime."

When dead tired on a long drive, it doesn't get any better then "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way". CD of course.

Lately: Picture of Heath - Chet Baker & Art Pepper

Leapin' and Lopin' - Sonny Clark

Soul Station - Hank Mobley

Max Roach +4 - Max Roach

Earth Step - Sadao Watanabe