What are you listening to?

joshnich

Crossfire -- Stevie Ray Vaughan - I know its old, but I still love it.

S&M -- Metallica

Audioslave

Kettlewhistle -- Jane's Addiction

Hail to the Thief -- RadioHead

The Colour and the Shape -- Foo Fighters

American III & IV -- Johnny Cash

The Cult Greatest Hits

Diana Krall -- new to me so I keep buying more of her stuff

Steve Earle- All American Boy-great cover of "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love & Understanding.

Buddy & Julie Miller-great music from very talented people who seem to exceed their individual parts

Ryan Adams-Gold-a guilty pleasure

Govt Mule-Dose- Warren Haynes and Matt Abbs are phenomenal

Cowboy Junkies-Open-geez..are the the same guys who did Trinity Sessions? huge guitar album

Richard Thompson-Old Kit Bag -quality work from one of my fave geetarists. i have to work hard not to see him as a yuppie/NPR icon though.

Rancid-Life Won't Wait- i know that the hardcore folks think that this is a "soft" album, i think that it's way more than that. god, even punk has to grow up!

Lonesome Bob- Things Change - what a voice! with something to say, also.

Drive By Truckers-Southern Rock Opera- can't say much that isn't obvious about this album, alot smarter than you'd think.

Continental Drifters-Vermillion- a better album than "Better Day", and that's saying alot. maybe because when i first got this album, i didn't know Susan Cowsills hadn't left the band.

Reissues:

Flaming Groovies-Teenage Head- ****in' great album, verrrry coool.

Let's Active-Big Plans For Everybody, Cypress/Afoot- BPFE was essentially a Mitch Easter solo album-everybody bailed after a European tour. still a great album that still moves me nearly 20 years later. Cypress/Afoot is a combination of album and EP pre BPFE. still great stuff from a great pop mind.

don't ask me about my old stuff i play.

(i'll mention one album-Mott the Hoople-Mott-wonderful album)

other new stuff-Tabla Beat Science, Hot Hot Heat, Polyphonic Spree...

will somebody stage a raid and rescue Tommy Stinson from the "new" Guns N Roses?

I'm listening to KEN BURNS Jazz Box Set (at the moment the 30's swing stuff--disk 2). I kinda like KC Jazz and have been to a few KC Jazz clubs....chowed a lot of KC BBQ, too.

Bennie Moten -- Moten Swing

Count Basie - Lester Leaps in (w/Lester Young on sax)

Last night I listned to THE MEMBERS - "At the 1980 Chelsea Night Club"

THE MYSTERY OF THE BULGARIAN VOICE - a fav from my college shows in the 80's.

BLONDE ON BLONDE on SACD --remember the quote from Joe Black "It will change your life!"

I have a stack of about 10 ZAPPA CDs I've also been flipping through.

I never really like J.G. Thirlwell and his Foetus incarnations: "Scraping...", "...on your breath", "All nude Review", etc.. but if you have to hear one try this one:

"Nail" is possibly the best Foetus album; it apparently hopes to piss off all potential listeners by working through as many warped sounds and styles as possible. Though Thirlwell's sense of humor is sometimes hard to take (check the faux-cinematic "Theme from Pigdom Come" and "Overture to Pigdom Come"), the sheer range of this music is hard to believe. Keith Farley

I saw the Butthole Surfers at THE CHANNEL in Boston...loud! I remember there old albums...with tracks like "BBQ Pxxx". I think the MEATMEN were the worst in this line of thinking.

OK..Maybe GGAllin

For years, G.G. Allin promised to leave this world with a suicide on stage, preferably on Halloween. Instead, Allin died a traditional rock & roll death cocaine and heroin in the veins which is the only traditional thing he ever did

lets_active.jpg

Let's Active- Big Plans For Everybody, Cypress/Afoot-

BPFE was essentially a Mitch Easter solo album-everybody bailed after a European tour. still a great album that still moves me nearly 20 years later. Cypress/Afoot is a combination of album and EP pre BPFE. still great stuff from a great pop mind.

Mitch Easter was a pop genius considering. He was instrumental in REM's first success in the studio with Chronic Town and much of the sound of Murmer. I got to hang out with him a number of times and play with the same people (I grew up in Chapel Hill which was the center of the NC pop in the late 70s-80s). Actually, a high school buddy of mine played on serveral songs in Big Plans (Rob Ladd). Essentially, Mitch did do this album on his own, surely recording it and doing a lot of the instruments. IT's a GREAT GREAT pop album in the best sense. I love Afoot and Cypress as well. "Every Dog..." did not have the same character and innocence of the earlier Lets Active but there are a few interesting pieces. Sara Romweber, Dexter Womweber's sister, played the drums on the first two EPs.

Mitch EAster later did a lot of producing and recently had a hand in Helium stuff that Mary Timony did (Helium is another GREAT band).

I would say there are probably only three people in this whole forum that know Let's Active and that is surprising, amazingly enough. Most audio types wouldnt know Let's Active from A barn wall.

That's one thing that makes this place unique; just when you want to never return, someone says, "hey, I have Let's ACtive on" and you go, "LOOORD."

kh

ps- Go for the vinyl of this stuff. This jangle NC pop was meant for vinyl

----------------

On 10/15/2003 11:47:40 AM bassetized wrote:

Steve Earle- All American Boy-great cover of "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love & Understanding.

Buddy & Julie Miller-great music from very talented people who seem to exceed their individual parts

Yeah the All American Boy is an interesting work by one of my favorite singer/songwriters. I rarely agree with his politics but I admire his passion. I forget about Buddy and Julie They are terriffic. I think that Buddy is one of the best guitarists that I can remember seeing live.

Josh

See Sarah's big hair in my photo in the attached....

She had a purse which was a paper bag with the cat in the HT drawn on it. She was telling me all about it and I just looked at her like she was from Mars as I didn't really understand the point of what she was explaining...my roommate's band CRITICAL FEW opened for LET's ACTIVE at a URI.

My radio station program director wasn't too thrilled when I played "BLUE LINE" in a string of shows complaining about my major label pop leanings....I just wasn't into EUGENE CHADBORN and his electric rake.

I remember getting a new metal band in the mail that reminded me of my 70's AC/DC etc heritage...."RIDE THE LIGHTNING" by METALLICA .... For Whom the Bell Tolls I think was the track....I felt like I reverted back to High School. Years later when they were popular I realized they were the same band....I remember pulling that lp out of a big box from the label....fresh wax!

As far as I'm concerned, its either feast or famine. The last year has been a phenomenal feast IMO.

Some of the what I consider outstanding picks in the modern rock arena...

These offered something just a little different.

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

The Strokes - This is It

Coldplay - A rush of Blood to the Head.

White Stripes - White Blood Cells

These were more typical/predictable, but they really hit home. Excellent.

Audislave

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Trapt

Cold - Year of the Spider - They should have shot their manager for releasing "Stupid Girl" as their debut single. Worse cut on the CD.

The new Fuel-Natural Selection and Nickelback-The Long Road were very good CDs, but frankly I expected more.

There are so many more new titles that I have picked up (with the help of other forum members), I refrained from a multi-page post. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper...1.gif

Interesting posts. Ken, great shot of your NORTH CAROLINA indie collection! Impressive. All those bands have merit and most were great live. I wasnt a huge Connels fan, but you realize a lot of great pop came from NC. CAbin Flounder...that's a great record froma great band live (Fetchin Bones). Of course, you know my feelings on Lets Active. The dBs were another filled wth talen. Chris Stamey just recorded some bit at my friend's studio a few months ago. I realize that I dont have any of this stuff on digital, all on vinyl. The indie scene REALLY helped keep vinyl alive through the low points. I NEVER played CDs in my radio shows....or at least RARELY.

OF course, I loved the scene from Boston....heh

kh

ps- I saw Interpol a few months ago - good show.

Right now I am listening to Clay Aiken's new CD. Should have more broadway type music on it instead of love songs, but his voice makes up for "that", though the songs are not bad at all. Also digging my Jewel collection, mostly This Way and 0304 (yeah, even 0304). New on my list of artists, Ani Difranco, I now have about eight of her CD's, she is not too shabby!

I have heard some of these new bands: WHITE STRIPES, STROKES, VINES which are fun but I don't get captivated like I did as a college kid.

I was hearing some stereo gear demos of modern bands with quality 2-channel surround sound recordings and I forgot the titles... the sales rep was playing Greg HOWE and some band that sounded like Pink Floyd. He felt there were many new bands with great quality recordings. The Greg Howe CD had a swirling 360 degree sound from just two DynAudio Contour speakers and KRELL Showcase gear....studio trickery.

The only CDs we had as of 1988 were the CMJ compilations which I would play tracks off.

Wes Montgomery- The Incredible Jazz Guitar Of...

Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan

Eric Clapton_

Janis Joplin- Pearl

Moody Blues- several CDs

Blues Quest_

Bucky Pizzarelli- Swing Live

Stevie Nicks- Time Space

Allman Brothers- The Road Goes On Forever

Jim Hall Quartet- All Across The City

ZZ Top Sixpack1.gif