Cornwalls unfinished

Hi, I just looked at a pair of Cornwalls that had

unfinished plywood for cabinets . The Horns where

also mounted vertically instead of horizontal .

The pair had apparently been mounted in or behind

a wall . I have never heard a Cornwall before

and am wondering if the vertical mounting of the

horns makes a large difference in the presentation .

Is anyone familiar with this model ? I think it is

at least from the '70s .

thanks for help,

Joe

Joe,

These are 60s or early 70s model Cornwall I speakers. I have never seen or heard them before, but I understand they have better sound stage than the later model of Cornwalls. Owning a pair of Cornwall IIs, I have a hard time imagining that.

Anyway, finding unfinished Cornwalls is not an easy task. Heck, finding Cornwalls in general is not an easy task either. I found a pair from a guy on this board and was able to finish them to match the hardwood floors in my great room.

They should be finished in a birch finish plywood, ready for a quick sanding and stain or paint. If it really is just plywood, you could apply a veneer and stain it.

I am sure others will chime in on what a gem you found.

Mike.

Yeah, these are rare old gems you should treasure.

My understanding is that they were sold in "mirror" image pairs. The midrange and tweeters should be mounted on opposite sides on the other of the pair.

Interesting question. Did the factory ever suggest which is supposed to be the right, or the left, in a given set up?

Gil

The "mirror image" Cornwalls were available through the early 70's I believe. Mine are 1964 models and are walnut and have the original grille cloths. I was lucky enough to buy mine from the original owner many, many years ago and they are still in pristine condition.

A good pal of mine loved my Cornwalls so much that he purchased a set of mid-1980's Cornwall II and I have to tell you, we were both blown away by how much BETTER the earlier speakers sounded to us. We actually a/b compared them (a real PAIN in the neck!) and the imaging with the vertical-horn models was light-years better. THis is not to say the later Cornwalls aren't fantastic speakers--it's just that the early ones are just amazing.

Here's a shot of mine:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=757826&a=10308307&p=34745573&Sequence=0&res=high

I apolgize for this being off-topic, but these speakers really have my curiosity meter pegged.

I wonder what Klipsch's thinking was with this layout of drivers versus the "standard" layout? And were the two driver layout variations of Cornwalls offered at the same time? And what about the price? And the specs?

C'mon Bobg...inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Tom Adams

From what I've been able to tell the original Cornwalls were all "vertical horn" models. Some time in the late 60's, the standard Cornwall became "horizontal," but the "vertical" model was available as a "special order." The latest vertical horn models I've come across were from about 1974 and had the later woofers (non-alnico). As far as price is concerned, I have no idea!

Thanks for the great replies .

A couple of more observations:

The front of the cabinet is flush .

There isn't a lip to tuck a grill

cover into .

The bottom of the cabinet rests on the

floor with the bottom sheet of plywood

also being the floor of the vent . There

is not a stand .

These are "unfinished " .

I am guessing all Alnico drivers and woofer ?

I think I am not going to be able to resist

buying these for my 3.5 watt SETs .

Brining the cabinets up to furniture quality

is of interest .

I'll try to get the serial # . Joe

None of the early Cornwalls had a stand or riser. The ones you see in the picture I posted were made by me. They consist of a walnut frame with a steel plate screwed and glued to each side. The cavity is filled with sand--each "riser" weighs about 80 lbs. I support each riser with four cones. The bass is so much tighter with the Corwalls sitting on these risers and cones! Amazing home-made imporvement! I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THIS!!!

Here is more information .

serial # is: 1H708 and 1H709 .

Model is C.D.R 15 (starting to

doubt myself about the CDR. I was listening over the

phone with background noise he my have said CBR )

and also the back says Cornwall II .

That they are Cornwall II's surprised me .

The present owner , whos father was the original owner

, thinks that when he had the back off the

woofer said electro voice . I'll reveal more ignorance

here by asking if Electro Voice speakers are used

and they have Alnico magnets or if the Alnico magnets I have heard referred to are Alnico brand speakers ?

The Horns are metal .

The speaker connection is at the top .

Still learning and puzzled .Thanks , Joe

CJ - As far as I can tell, you have a pair of 1969 Cornwall I (not II) on your hands. The H in the serial number is the year designator, and I believe H is 1969. The CBR means Cornwall Birch Raw, which makes sense given your description. It is odd they say Cornwall II on the back, as the II wasn't made until 1985.

Doug

Actually the "mirror image" vertical horn Cornwalls that were available as "special order" models were refered to as "Cornwall II" in those few years they were available (maybe '68-'74 or so?). This is the third set I've heard of with the "Cornwall II" designation from that period with the vertical horns.

Hope this helps.

The Cornwall "II" designation way only a physical moniker for the upright (vertical) orientation of the tweeters and midranges.

After they were horizontal in orientation (the subsequent Cornwalls or "I's"), they were mounted from the outside instead of inside and became "II's" again, although the "II's" describe different things.

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

CJ, by the way, I'd be happy to pay you a nice commission and swap my nice Cornwalls (I's) if you'll broker the deal ... These speakers really don't come up too often and are real finds ....

There was a pair of these old CW's for sale in Florida a month or two ago on Ebay (Tampa area, I think) .. I almost scarfed them up but I love my CW I's and couldn't justify the $400 in shipping. I'm thinking that maybe I should have just bit the bullet.

Let me (all of us) know ...

Chris

------------------

Denon AVR-3800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Klipsch KT-LCR ©

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

A Great big huge thanks of gratitiude goes out to

the posters : mweiner, William F. Gill McDerott, Jim

Cornell , Allan Songer , Tom Adams , dougdrake ,Pete C,

& Chris Robinson .

I made the deal and now well .....big fat smiley faces

are sitting upon me and my bro's after listening for

about 3 hours that would normally be spent thinking

about doing "more" important things on Fri. night .

My maggie SMGa's are for sale and I am groovin' with

the K sound . I'll be posting in Updating Old Spkrs.

for hints .

Anyway, what I have is 1969 Cornwall II's , C.D.R. ,

PLlywood and not birch....just raw plywood

with the square Alnico mag woofs . Custom ordered for a wall installation .

The sound grooves so well that I can see having my little SETs and

a SS amp for when I want to really lose it all . Yea ! ,

this has been a great forum to post too . Thanks again for the replies !

Curious Joe .

P.S.... C.R. Thank you for the offer, would of been happy to link for free ,

Amped I got these because of what I read .just damn happy to have ventured into the Horn realm . Corns rock !!

C . J .

Well,

Congradulations, good move, and im glad to see you got them! When you start comparing your cornwalls, itll blow your mind to realize what you have!

This last saturday night i was rocking to whole neihborhood by accident, this was just my 1 pair, thats all i need!

I bought the first pair Nov 99 and just got a second pair in Feb this year!

Right now im hoping to win an auction for another Mcintosh amp!

And im ganna put together, a casual 4 cornwall speaker system, and moving to a bigger place, will also help!!

I have woven cane, and black covers, i think there cool!

Well, have fun, enjoy your new cornwalls!!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

There is a pair of Mirror Image Cornwall II's on Ebay, link below. These are the vertical horn C/W's, very limited. Serial # 1J966/67.

After reading all the posts about this alignment, I just wish they were not so far away from California. (of course, even if they were, having just bought a pair of Cornwalls 1's, the WAF would be VERY low.

"But honey, I need them for the surround sound in the rear!"

jobman

FR - Cornwall 1's

RR - Heresy's

Cntr - C7

Music is Life