I;m going to have some fun tonight !!

NOSValves

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had to brag about Khorns also. I cannot possibly fit Khorns in my 14x14 den. I have no where to build 24x20 theater room like Dales. I cannot turn my garage into a theater room. I am doomed, doomed I say.

Oh well, there will be someway to get there. I am already dreaming of building a new "house of theater". If only I hadn't bought this new house just 5 yeas ago.

Glad to hear about your success Craig. How many wpc are the mark's pushing? Was the budweiser flowing?

William,

The Mark were wired in triode so it was about a healthy 30 Watts. I actually think things could of been slightly more Dynamic at Higher SLP's because of his wide open floor plan lots of space to fill with music so wired in UT will be my next test over there. I'm curious to see what difference will be heard with 60 watts of Ultra Linear .

Danny,

Okay Okay I will fess up ! It sounded really really really really OKAY 2.gif

I believe he will chime in here sometime today he is a newbie member of this board.

Craig

William,

I missed your beer comment. We broke out the beer about a hour and a half into the night. I wanted to be sure I had a sober handle on the changes before the beer blurred the judgement 2.gif Actually I thought the system sounded best before the beer kicked in ! Of coarse as the beer went down the throat the volume mysteriously went up 9.gif

Craig

I agree that the amplifier is very important with Khorns.

I spent 25 years working as a technician for high end audio dealers (who sold Klipsch). The heritage speakers are very particular about what amplifiers are interfaced with them. The early Yamaha receivers (and amps), as well as other early quality solid-state gear sounded terrible on Klipsch... very shrill and grainy, due to their high crossover distortion at very low power levels. The competition at the time, such as AR-3a's, were so ineffecient that the distortion wasn't heard, and they sounded OK. I would run into people all the time who had nothing good to say about Klipsch... until they heard them on proper amplifiers. In 1972 I got to spend 2 days with PWK, and he told me his favorite amp was the Brook (using 2A3's P-P). I later got to hear one (only 1, unfortunatly), and it was awesome. I've lived with Khorns for over 30 years... and they still amaze me!

Tom,

By the way you were in my thoughts for the last half hour I was there as we watched and listened to the Zepplin DVD of all the early 70s live stuff. Do you have this DVD ? Its awesome to watch and also sounds at least respectable for the age of the live recordings ! Page is one awesome dude with that Guitar !!

Craig

----------------

On 10/16/2003 8:34:53 AM NOSValves wrote:

Tom,

By the way you were in my thoughts for the last half hour I was there as we watched and listened to the Zepplin DVD of all the early 70s live stuff. Do you have this DVD ? Its awesome to watch and also sounds at least respectable for the age of the live recordings ! Page is one awesome dude with that Guitar !!

Craig

----------------

You just gave me the chills when I read this post!3.gif Ya, I got it about a month ago. How The West Was Won.

My favorite all time band. Missed my chance to see them live in 77, concert cancelled due to Bonhams death.8.gif

DTS sounds the best on my HT system, love the drum solo on Moby Dick, the guitar acoustics Page performs on Immagrant Song and others just is jaw dropping. Plant, what a emotional bag of wonders, vocally. Why there isn't bands out there today influenced by this kind of music is beyond me. If I only had the talent that would be the route I would take.

Tom

Yup the Drum solo is awesome. In fact the entire first DVD is great. My new Klipsch friend loaned me the discs. Now I have to put one of my Tube amps in the mix upstairs or move the DVD player down stairs ! Something about watching them guys in there youth and placing yourself in that era ! They were way ahead of there time !

Craig

CRAIG: I lost one bass driver !!! ????

The k's are 1987 models and have seen there share of abuse ( by me ) so it bothers me very little to purchase a new driver.

I installed it last night and i'm listening as i'm typing , Maybe i should have bought 2 and done both at the same time ?? i'll wait and see if i can hear a difference or not.

Anyway it's nice to be back here , trying to catch up with whats been going on around here.

P.S I see kelly is posting again 2.gif just a matter of time before he gets pissed again. LOL 11.gif

Dale,

Its good to have you back posting the long winter is ahead for you and I'm sure we will be seeing often ! Let me know if your feeling up to some tweaks on the Mark III's of coarse your welcome to send them down but I'm not sure either of us can take another shipping venture !!

Craig

LOL

I've got a few projects on the go right now, nothing major.

I'll hook up with you via E-mail or i'll phone you at home , we can chat about the possible benifts of further mods.

P.S I'm planning a salmon fishing trip to vancouver island in the next week or so , wish you could come.

Craig,

Speaking of beer....

I just got back from a trip to northern Wisconsin, visiting my mom. Made the drive from Georgia in a couple of days. My brother flew from Colorado and I picked him up in Minneapolis. I carried back a couple twelve packs of Leinenkugel. Nothing like the regional brews.

It's chillin' as I write.

Marvel

Hey Craig,

Sounds like you had a blast. Glad to hear about it. I know how nice those Ks can sound with the right room and equipment. Personally, I would have been into the beer much sooner...but that's just me.

Hey Marvel,

I see you live in Georgia. I am in Watkinsville (Athens).

Oh yes regional beer can be a real treat. A few years back I took a trip to Albq. NM to visit some relatives and old friends ( lived there in my late teens and early 20's The Wild Years). One of my good friends from that era in my life took me Bar hoping to all the taverns that brew there own beer ! Boy did we get feeling real good that night ! Had some great beer of coarse it all tasted the same after the 3rd bar. I guess there is some 35 or 36 places the brew there own beer in the area.

Craig

NOSvalves saved my Khorns!

I've heard them on several occasions over the years and have desired a pair for a long time. Local dealer had a beautiful used (1990) mint pair in his showroom and I could'nt resist.

Delivery truck showed up. The furniture movers brought 'em in. One of them asked me what I was going to "drive" them with. Golden Tube Audio SE 40. He then informed me that a friend of his repaired tube amps. I wrote down the number in case I might need it sometime.

The next six weeks or so with these speakers reminded me of my wife. She sure was fun to date. But when I married her and had to live with her every day, I could'nt stand it! She would bite my head off every night JUST LIKE MY NEW SPEAKERS! Oh, I meant to say my ex-wife. They were almost my ex-Khorns.

Before I commenced with the divorce I thought I would have my amp looked at.

Enter Craig. We spoke on the phone and he told me to bring my amp over for him to take a look at. I mentioned that I was thinking about sending it to Sonic Craft to have it modified. I was hoping that maybe he could do it. Especially after looking at all the amps in his work shop. After looking at the Sonic Craft websight he informed me that the mods looked good and that they obviously had experience with this amp. His advice was to send it to them. But if I wanted, he would bring his (heavily modified Dynaco MK III, I believe) amps over and we could compare the sound.

My amp: Little bass, screeching midrange and highs. Craig's amp: Tight, "balls to the wall" bass, midrange and highs that I could actually lean into and listen too! What an amazing transformation! One song led to another, music that I was very familiar with sounded totally different than what I had been listening to. Craig had a really good Dire Straights CD that I had'nt heard before. SPL meter check: Wow! It does'nt SEEM that loud! From a "measly" 30 watts? My amp sucks; I needed a cold Bud.

Now I know what my speakers are capable of. I need to decide what to do about my amp. I probably should just have Craig build me one but I'm trying to stay within my budget. One thing seems to lead to another in this crazy hobby of ours. Talked to Sonic Craft yesterday and was impressed with Jeff. He seems to be a straight shooter. I won't mention his opinion of Klipsch; he's in the speaker business himself. I met his ex-partner in Seattle a couple of weeks ago at VSAC 2003 and he said a lot of good things about his former business associate.

Sonic Craft Jeff's opinion on the Golden Tube is that it's a really good design but that the parts quality of the original amps is terrible It's a single ended pentode (I think he said its wired in triode). It has original Sovtek 5881 output tubes with Sovtek 6sn7 input tubes. These amps apparently were very unreliable but I have not had any problems with mine. Other than the fact that it sounds horrible with my speakers.

If anyone has experience with these amps, I would appreciate any comments about them.

And Craig, "This Bud's For You!"

Denny,

It was a ball and great to have another Klipsch fan close by ! It won't be long and we can have get togethers there are 4 of us I know locally now. Next time I come I'll bring my Turn Table and some great LP's. I'll get you hooked on that next although with your heavy addiction to remotes it may be a tough sell 2.gif

Cheers Craig

----------------

On 10/17/2003 5:01:04 PM NOSValves wrote:

..A few years back I took a trip to Albq. NM to visit some relatives and old friends ( lived there in my late teens and early 20's The Wild Years)...

----------------

So what time frame did you live there? That's my hometown, although I don't live there anymore.

"It has original Sovtek 5881 output tubes with Sovtek 6sn7 input tubes. These amps apparently were very unreliable but I have not had any problems with mine. Other than the fact that it sounds horrible with my speakers."

A local audio friend has a home-brew amp that somebody made, that is a 5881 mono PP amp that is in strapped triode.

Nice clean simple budbox, well constructed, and laid out.

I can't recall the drivers, or the tube rectumfryer, it has a good size OPT, and choke.

The damn thing was so tipped up in the midrange, that it would annoy quick.

Had plenty of power, but it was just mid-band.

He tried a Polk (Monitor 7?) a two-way bookshelf with a passive radiator. They seemed to really lack mid-range.

The 5881 amp seemed to cure it, and make the Polk sound rather nice.

But it didn't fly very well with horns and Fostex 15's, YUK!

I'll always remember those Webster/Allen 90 watt 6550 PP organ amps.

They would be sufficient power for Khorns in a large room.

Bang yer head sufficient.